REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Braided line.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Braided line.

Postby flyster » July 5th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I have been using Fireline for over two years on my floating line long leader set up for the back bays and soft surf. This past year I have also used it on Streamer fishing. No stretch, sensitivity and thin diameter is what I was looking for to build a leader for the surf. A 10' intermediate sink polyleader followed by 8' Flor/Braid leader extension. The extension set up is 12" of 12LB, 5' of 4LB dia fireline (10LB test), 2' of 8 to 10LB final tippet. I use to use up to 20' total off the fly line but with the thinner extension the fly has no problem in sinking to the bottom. Thicker line sinks slower and will have a tendency to be pushed around by currents. The thinner leader just cuts through the water twice as fast. There is no question that the braided line with it's no stretch is far more sensitive than anything on the market. Even with the 4LB that I use it's remarkable how much more one feels. I have tried different brands of braid and I'm sticking with Fireline. As for Streamer fishing only two words are needed "instant hookup". Jarring strikes that no hook sets are needed. All my knot that I connect flor to braid are tied with the Crazy Alberto knot. I just find this knot easier to tie for me. Does anyone use braided line for any application in fly fishing?
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Re: Braided line.

Postby rayfound » July 5th, 2017, 10:37 pm

This post makes me wonder if braided line would work in a furled leader to make a continuous taper.... hmmmm.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby WanderingBlues » July 6th, 2017, 8:22 am

Interesting. By nature, spectra and dyneema based products have floatability. They would, however, need regular cleaning and maintenance to maintain buoyancy. I use super-braid lines when I'm offshore and the amount of salt they'll hold is amazing. Pulling through creeks and lakes would be task in cleanliness.

Of course, I'm using 50-80# braid like Blackwater and Jerry Brown that use a higher thread count in their weaving process. The Spiderwire or Powerpro in the 20# or less is something I've never messed with.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Benny » July 6th, 2017, 8:51 am

I tried using braid for deep water midge fishing with a slip indicator. Although I was unsuccessful at catching anything on two half days of fishing on Crowley. I doubt it was my rig setup as others had the same results of not one bite or tug. I will try again in the Fall. Last week the water temps were 72° which if I did catch a fish, the likelihood of the trouts survival would be slim and none. Water was just to warm.

I would not hesitate to use braid for streamer fishing as well. There would be a solid no stretch connection other than fly line and short piece of leader.

Advantages are that it's strong, thin in diameter with no stretch. There are sure situations were one could use braid in fly fishing.
Benny

Postby briansII » July 6th, 2017, 9:17 am

flyster wrote:. All my knot that I connect flor to braid are tied with the Crazy Alberto knot. I just find this knot easier to tie for me. Does anyone use braided line for any application in fly fishing?

I've used braid a limited amount with fly gear. I do like how thin and strong it is. And yes, nothing beats it's sensitivity. I've used it nymphing, streamer fishing and a little bit of topwater bass. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tying leaders, so I've mostly gone back to mono and fluoro. For my conventional, I use braid on just about everything. Either as the whole line system, or as the main line with fluoro or mono leaders. I use the same Alberto, or more recently, the FG Knot to connect the two lines. I've tried many brands and models of braid, and just about all of them have worked well, if you choose the right style for the application. It's good stuff.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » July 6th, 2017, 9:47 am

I've only used braided line as backing on my SW rigs. Never used it as leader/tippet.
NorcalBob

Postby 1mocast » July 6th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Sorry Jon,
I can barely cast a weighted clouser on a 12 foot setup. I cannot even try to cast your setup!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Ants » July 6th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I was setting up a new rod for carping, so I dug through my inventory so I didn't have to wait to try the rod and setup. The shallow end of the lake was pretty trashy so braided leader and fly line got a little dirtier than I would have liked.

The only problem with using braided leaders is the forethought to keep sizes in inventory and ready to go. I use straight mono when nymphing so thinking ahead about leaders does not typically happen.

The braided leader seems to take longer to unravel wind knots.

If the braided leaders came to mind when I was ordering gear, I know I would have more on hand and use them more.

Ants
Ants

Postby briansII » July 6th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Forgot to mention I use Fireline for tying stinger hooks on spey flies. Fireline is very stiff, and holds the hook in a better position than some/most other braids. I also use a special wire, but I like braid better because it's a little more forgiving to work with.

As for sensitivity, there is no comparison. You can literally feel a thin blade of grass, or what's on the bottom of the river. The new braid/spectra core flylines have a LOT more sensitivity than the old mono core lines.....which can almost be a bad thing. I can't count the times I've felt a bite, but it was probably a small piece of floating debris.

briansII
briansII

Postby flyster » July 8th, 2017, 5:28 am

briansII wrote:Forgot to mention I use Fireline for tying stinger hooks on spey flies. Fireline is very stiff, and holds the hook in a better position than some/most other braids. I also use a special wire, but I like braid better because it's a little more forgiving to work with.

As for sensitivity, there is no comparison. You can literally feel a thin blade of grass, or what's on the bottom of the river. The new braid/spectra core flylines have a LOT more sensitivity than the old mono core lines.....which can almost be a bad thing. I can't count the times I've felt a bite, but it was probably a small piece of floating debris.

briansII

Fireline is stiffer. This is one reason I use it as part of a leader. There are many brands of Braids that are just too limp for this application. Some even seem to soak up water. I could be wrong but it feels that way. I forgot to mention that with this type of leader used with more modern fly lines which have "ZERO" stretch sensitivity is off the chart.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Return to General Fly Fishing