REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Photobucket changes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Photobucket changes

Postby Sasha » July 4th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Benny wrote:
Sasha wrote:Does photobucket really expect people will pay 400 bucks to link photos in websites lol.

Some people have already paid that, they don't want to go through the agony of moving all there images.

For business reasons I can sort of see paying. For just posting on forums no way, I'll just go through the pain of moving the photos and re linking some of them.
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » July 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Maybe it is time to revisit the idea of expanding the bandwidth of this website so that we can direct upload pictures here without using a 3rd party site? The Drake forum is like that; you can upload 25 images per post and if you have more than that you just reply to yourself and get another 25 ad infinitum. There the ads pay for it, and I assume some from the magazine. We could do ads in the margins here (they don't bother me) or each kick in some bucks, I would do that gladly. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to go about doing it though. Just a thought.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Papasequoia » July 4th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Benny wrote:Same thing happening on other sites. Lots of upset people.
I do believe flickr still has a free account. Not sure how it works though. I have a pro account and pay. I have thousands of images on flickr, been on since 2006.

Just started an account there with my Yahoo account. They have a free account with up to 1,000 GB of free storage. I haven't figured out how to link pics to here yet though. I get this message: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." I'll keep fiddling with it.

Edit test:

ImageIMG_3281 by Jon Heaton, on Flickr

Ok, if you can all see that I got it. Have to use the photostream, not the camera roll.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby 1mocast » July 4th, 2017, 6:35 pm

[url][/url]same here.

testing, testing.

dang! there is a size limitation of 1920X1440! arrrrgh
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » July 4th, 2017, 8:30 pm

1mocast wrote:[url][/url]same here.

testing, testing.

dang! there is a size limitation of 1920X1440! arrrrgh

This site (FFA) shrinks the photos anyway so you have to click the + to enlarge. That beer photo was inserted from Flickr after uploading by:

1) Going to Photostream (not camera roll)
2) Clicking on the image
3) Clicking on the arrow icon for share
4) Clicking on BBCode
5) Choosing a size (mine is 600x800 just for comparison, the original was 3264x2448)
6) Right click the code that appears, choose copy and paste here

I should say that I never just paste here in case the post is lost if I am writing a long TR. I do it in Word first then copy and paste it all here.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby planettrout » July 5th, 2017, 7:00 am

This article from ghacks lists alternatives to Photobucket. Check the comments on the article as well, there are additional sites included there:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photo ... ird-party/

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby briansII » July 5th, 2017, 8:32 am

I opened an Imgur account and uploaded some pictures. It uploads pics smoother, and faster than Photobucket, but I'm not able to upload videos. Not sure it's just me not able to figure it out, or Imgur doesn't host videos. Now my problem is posting pics to forums, using Imgur. My test here, gives me an error message.

"Your images may only be up to 1440 pixels high."
"Your images may only be up to 1920 pixels wide."

Please, someone tell me I don't have to resize my pics.......please! I'm hoping it's my ineptitude, and someone will tell me a simple solution

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » July 5th, 2017, 8:33 am

briansII wrote:I opened an Imgur account and uploaded some pictures. It uploads pics smoother, and faster than Photobucket, but I'm not able to upload videos. Not sure it's just me not able to figure it out, or Imgur doesn't host videos. Now my problem is posting pics to forums, using Imgur. My test here, gives me an error message.

Please, someone tell me I don't have to resize my pics.......please! I'm hoping it's my ineptitude, and someone will show me a simple solution

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » July 5th, 2017, 9:13 am

You just need to resize before upload. I use a free program called "light image resizer" that plugs into windows shell and can bulk-resize and rename.

http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-soft ... e-resizer/

I think there is also a change to forum settings that could automatically change the DISPLAY SIZE to a max resolution, regardless of the actual picture dimensions. But Stanbery would have to advise on that.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » July 5th, 2017, 10:08 am

rayfound wrote:You just need to resize before upload. I use a free program called "light image resizer" that plugs into windows shell and can bulk-resize and rename.

I think there is also a change to forum settings that could automatically change the DISPLAY SIZE to a max resolution, regardless of the actual picture dimensions. But Stanbery would have to advise on that.

Thanks Ray.......I was afraid of that. While that looks to be a relatively easy solution, I dread the thought of sorting through dozens of folders, and hundreds.....maybe thousands of pictures. I'd like to be 100% free from Photobucket, but the effort required to do that, might leave me with two image hosting accounts. :sad: I'm sure that's what Photobucket is counting on with their new policy.
briansII

Postby Wildman » July 5th, 2017, 11:37 am

Maybe Jon can check what it would take for us to host our own pictures.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Wildman » July 5th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Maybe Jon can check what it would take for us to host our own pictures.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby NorcalBob » July 5th, 2017, 12:21 pm

If you use IMGUR you do NOT need to resize your pix before uploading. There is a tab on IMGUR (called Auto Resize) you can select what size you want the photo to be. I commonly use 1024 X 768, but there is a wide range of options. After you upload to IMGUR, IMGUR resizes them automatically to whatever setting you chose. That's one of the many reasons I chose IMGUR (amongst many others, especially since it's free with no monthly bandwidth maximum). I'm pretty sure IMGUR does do video's, but I haven't done that yet since I rarely shoot video.
On the FFA site there is a maximum image size that will display, so your problem is more likely here and not IMGUR.

briansII wrote:I opened an Imgur account and uploaded some pictures. It uploads pics smoother, and faster than Photobucket, but I'm not able to upload videos. Not sure it's just me not able to figure it out, or Imgur doesn't host videos. Now my problem is posting pics to forums, using Imgur. My test here, gives me an error message.

Please, someone tell me I don't have to resize my pics.......please! I'm hoping it's my ineptitude, and someone will tell me a simple solution

briansII
NorcalBob

Postby 1mocast » July 5th, 2017, 6:14 pm

I found something on the web for imgur that was interesting by adding 1 character for the photo size. This worked for me.

https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/im ... ail-trick/

So if you image URL is https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Os.jpg, you simply add the l to the image name: https://i.imgur.com/9ZC02Osl.jpg. Now your image is a large thumbnail! (640×640 pixels)

Here are all the dimensions and letters to choose from:

s = Small Square (90×90) as seen in the example above
b = Big Square (160×160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320×320)
l = Large Thumbnail (640×640) as seen in the example above
h = Huge Thumbnail (1024×1024)

I am still trying to figure out whether to use imgur or flickr. flickr adds the photo name and name which I really do not want to do. :(
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » July 5th, 2017, 8:13 pm

briansII wrote:
rayfound wrote:You just need to resize before upload. I use a free program called "light image resizer" that plugs into windows shell and can bulk-resize and rename.

Thanks Ray.......I was afraid of that. While that looks to be a relatively easy solution, I dread the thought of sorting through dozens of folders, and hundreds.....maybe thousands of pictures. I'd like to be 100% free from Photobucket, but the effort required to do that, might leave me with two image hosting accounts. :sad: I'm sure that's what Photobucket is counting on with their new policy.

Brian when you upload picture before you click add image click auto resize to 800x600 and it will auto upload to the correct size.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing