REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Photobucket changes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Photobucket changes

Postby clee » June 30th, 2017, 9:09 am

Recently you may have noticed Photobucket has changed it's policy regarding third party links. Without a subscription you'll only see this on:
I suspect, conservatively speaking, this will affect 80% of all the old and new posts. Really sucks. There goes some really good posts.
clee

Re: Photobucket changes

Postby NorcalBob » June 30th, 2017, 9:43 am

Yes, it does suck big time. I've switched over to IMGUR for my photo hosting because of PB's recent change in policy to allow photo linking to websites (such as this one) only to high end paid accounts (which I don't have and have no intention of getting). IMGUR is pretty simple, works better/faster than PB, and best of all is free! The rumour I hear is that for now they are only targeting big bandwidth users which may not affect most of us here (this site doesn't get all that much traffic), but eventually they will get even the small potato users like me. I have not been shut down/targeted by PB yet, but I suspect it's coming.
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » June 30th, 2017, 10:11 am

If things continue to make life tough at Photobucket, I will have to change services. It will be a PAIN to transfer all the pics over to a new site, but Photobucket may not give me a choice. FWIW, I'm paying a small fee at PB now, and it's working just OK for now.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » June 30th, 2017, 10:31 am

So now the question comes up. Is there any relatively easy way to transfer your Photobucket photos and vids, to another hosting website. I'd gladly change if there is. I'm VERY hesitant if I have to load all my pictures and vids, one by one, from multiple PCs.

briansII
briansII

Postby planettrout » June 30th, 2017, 11:32 am

Regarding this very dumb move by Photobucket:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photo ... e-internet

... read the comments on this article...

Photobucket is getting hammered on their Blog:

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Wildman » June 30th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Not sure how this is going to work out. I checked some of my early posts and the pictures show up fine on the bookmarked forum page. Here's one from the trip to Chickenfoot:

Looking at the links....folks are * and rightly so.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby DrCreek » June 30th, 2017, 3:19 pm

NorcalBob wrote: Yes, it does suck big time. I've switched over to IMGUR for my photo hosting...

Yep. Smart move. I went to the light side months ago because there was just too much writing on the wall. So glad I went with IMGUR.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Sasha » June 30th, 2017, 3:43 pm

I'm still on the free account at photobucket, guess they haven't got to either of my accounts yet. Man it's going to be a pain in the butt to move all of my photos. Any consensus yet on a good alternative?
Sasha

Postby DrCreek » June 30th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Sasha wrote:I'm still on the free account at photobucket, guess they haven't got to either of my accounts yet. Man it's going to be a pain in the butt to move all of my photos. Any consensus yet on a good alternative?

Dude, IMGUR. Smartest thing we've all done.

DrCreek

Postby Sasha » June 30th, 2017, 4:32 pm

DrCreek wrote:
Sasha wrote:I'm still on the free account at photobucket, guess they haven't got to either of my accounts yet. Man it's going to be a pain in the butt to move all of my photos. Any consensus yet on a good alternative?

Dude, IMGUR. Smartest thing we've all done.

Sweet! I'll check it out probably some time this weekend. Does photobucket really expect people will pay 400 bucks to link photos in websites lol.
Sasha

Postby DrCreek » July 1st, 2017, 4:25 pm

I think now that they've realized how many people are using their storage system, why not make some money from membership? Glass half-full, but I wouldn't be surprised if IMGUR ends up doing the same thing in the future. I'm sure their membership will/already has increased courtesy of others just like us that decided to ditch Photobucket.

DrCreek

Postby Sasha » July 2nd, 2017, 8:08 am

Downloaded all my photos yesterday from both of my accounts. I'm going to leave the accounts active until they kill my linked pics. Then I will delete both accounts and fully switch over. I may or may not re-link the pics in my last two reports.

ETA: I read that you could purchase your own website and host your own photos for less that what photobucket is charging for their 3rd party linked service.
Sasha

Postby stanbery » July 3rd, 2017, 12:34 pm

2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Benny » July 3rd, 2017, 1:24 pm

Same thing happening on other sites. Lots of upset people.
I do believe flickr still has a free account. Not sure how it works though. I have a pro account and pay. I have thousands of images on flickr, been on since 2006.
Benny

Postby Benny » July 3rd, 2017, 1:27 pm

Sasha wrote:Does photobucket really expect people will pay 400 bucks to link photos in websites lol.

Some people have already paid that, they don't want to go through the agony of moving all there images.
Benny

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing