REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Deeper Smart Sonar Pro+

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Deeper Smart Sonar Pro+

Postby Benny » June 17th, 2017, 9:42 am

Earlier this morning I went over to San Pedro to pick up a K-200 air pump. I got around to talking about fishing and float tubing in particular with Dan who sold me the K-pump.

We started talking about float tubing and Dan showed me lot's of his gear. In particular Dan showed me a round little ball that he tethers to a small cord to one of the float tubes D-rings. The ball is a sonar/depth finder/fish finder. The guy swears by it and said it very well worth every cent. He fishes just about every weekend in the local bays so has lots of time on the water and seems to know his stuff regarding fishing gear.

It's called Deeper Smart Sonar Pro+. The thing is so small and works with a smart phone or tablet. I was very intrigued and came home and looked up more info on the cool little ball. It's a bit pricey, but works like a charm for some one who does not want to add the whole fish finder unit and wants to keep things simple and light.

Anyhow this would be a great addition for a float tuber who absolutely needs to know what is under him or her while searching for structure, depth, and fish.

Video on how this works.
Benny

Re: Deeper Smart Sonar Pro+

Postby DubL HauL » June 18th, 2017, 7:53 am

Deeper is awesome
DubL HauL

Postby John Harper » June 18th, 2017, 10:08 am

That is a very clever device.

John
John Harper

Postby DrCreek » June 18th, 2017, 10:23 am

Totally clever toy. Here's a question about it... So, you have to use a cellphone of tablet to visualize the radar return right?...Devils advocate is telling me that I wouldn't be willing to risk getting my phone or tablet wet with saltwater for obvious reasons. How would you get around that? The Humminbird (same as Richard's) that I'm using now is waterproof, contained in one piece, and my hands are always free so I can kick, fish, and visualize the screen simultaneously - no cellphone or tablet to worry about getting wet or going overboard. PS...maybe I wasnt paying good attention to the video - if that question was covered. Mike
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Benny » June 18th, 2017, 11:55 am

On the cell phone, the guy has a waterproof clear pouch. Plus he has a small battery pak to recharge his cell.
Benny

Postby DrCreek » June 18th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Benny wrote:On the cell phone, the guy has a waterproof clear pouch. Plus he has a small battery pak to recharge his cell.

Copy that.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » June 19th, 2017, 10:33 am

Neat idea. Very compact, and you don't have to buy batteries. The flip side, this unit/transducer is low tech/power, and will give the most basic of sonar readings. All the "added benefits" they claim, are pretty much in your phone or tablet already. Still is a good option if you want a very portable sonar unit. BTW, I just noticed Hummingbird has a portable Down Imaging unit available now. Much more detailed view than standard sonar, but probably not needed by most people.

https://www.humminbird.com/productDetai ... px?id=8886

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing