REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Question about my new $10 Tenkara Rod?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Question about my new $10 Tenkara Rod?

Postby John Harper » June 12th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Okay, I got my Tenkara rod, interesting little toy. There is a single red line at the tip. I have a length of 3 wt. level line and leader. I have a short length of backing with a loop tied to the other end of the level line. The rod is 270cm (8'6"). I have a spare spool for stowing the rig as well. Will fit right in the glove box!

How do I attach to the red line? It has no loop, so I assume there is some secret Asian method?

How long should my level line be, given the rod length? I have about 20 foot of level 3wt. line surplus.

I assume a 7.5' tapered leader/tippet ring should work fine on the end?

It looks like my buddy who is coming up to the FFA get together has a Tenkara rod too. So I figure they look good for fishing those meadow creeks, or even the lakes.
John Harper

Re: Question about my new $10 Tenkara Rod?

Postby BradW » June 12th, 2017, 3:59 pm

John,
Glad to hear. I also just picked up a Tenkara and plan to bring it up the opener. I'm just a beginner with the rod but might help you out in a few areas. First, I don't think you want to use the 3wt line. I purchased a couple of light furled leaders about 1 1/2 times the length of the rod. The leaders have loops of them to attach to the tip section. Then attach short tippet section to the leader with a loop to loop connection. Pretty simple.
v/r,
Brad
BradW

Postby John Harper » June 12th, 2017, 4:27 pm

BradW wrote:John,
Glad to hear. I also just picked up a Tenkara and plan to bring it up the opener. I'm just a beginner with the rod but might help you out in a few areas. First, I don't think you want to use the 3wt line. I purchased a couple of light furled leaders about 1 1/2 times the length of the rod. The leaders have loops of them to attach to the tip section. Then attach short tippet section to the leader with a loop to loop connection. Pretty simple.
v/r,
Brad

There is no loop in the tip, and it does not look long enough to tie one. I guess I can nail knot a loop on the end. I just got the "build your own Tenkara line" ideas off the internet. I'll look into those furled leaders. So the entire line is just one long leader?

I already took it apart from the wrong end when I opened it, but now I got that all figured out. ;)

John
John Harper

Postby Baughb » June 12th, 2017, 7:00 pm

There's instructions online for how to tie the leader to the red tip string.

My tenkara is 13' long. I use a 13' "tenkara leader and about 3-5' of tippet. No line. That's it. That's all it is, a long dapping rod that can cast as well.

Google "Tenkara set up" and you'll get more infor than you'll ever need.

Have fun with it.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Wildman » June 12th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Did you buy the $10 Tenkara rod from Amazon? The red thing is the lilian. Tie a simple overhand knot in the end to make a stopper. I tie a loop with a bowline in the end of my fishing line/leader. i then make a larks's foot knot over the lillian and tighten it down. When you are done, I slide it off. Never have lost a fish with my tenkara from the line coming off the lillian. Great fun.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby John Harper » June 13th, 2017, 6:07 am

Wildman wrote:larks's foot knot

Jim,

Yes, the one off Amazon that you posted, thank you!

Is that the same as a "cow hitch?" ;)

John
John Harper

Postby Wildman » June 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I think it is .
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Return to General Fly Fishing