REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Too much Snow!!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Too much Snow!!

Postby Benny » May 25th, 2017, 9:38 am

Well this blows, just got a call from Recreation.gov stating that my reservation for June 18-23 at Lake Mary had been cancelled due to much snow... I was so looking forward to taking the family back up for another camping trip. Need to make alternate plans now.

Closure Notice: This facility will be closed until June 29th, 2017 due to snow.
Benny

Re: To much Snow!!

Postby DarkShadow » May 25th, 2017, 10:52 am

I'm hearing Tioga Pass won't be open until after the 4th of July.
DarkShadow

Postby Benny » May 25th, 2017, 11:16 am

DarkShadow wrote:I'm hearing Tioga Pass won't be open until after the 4th of July.

That sure sound like lots of snow still up in the mountains. Great for all the rivers, streams, and lakes. Bad for my family vacation plans.

We'll figure something out.
Benny

Postby John Harper » May 25th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Do you get any refund of your reservation?

John
John Harper

Postby Benny » May 25th, 2017, 2:12 pm

John Harper wrote:Do you get any refund of your reservation?

John

Yes, full refund. They sent me conformation email.

Gotta find new place to go, wanted Twin Lakes, just can't risk waiting for a walk-in camp site with family in tow. If I was alone I would take the chance on the walk in camp site or just crash in the truck bed if I didn't get a camp site.

Any other nice location anyone can suggest? Convenience of bathroom and shower would be great.
Benny

Postby Papasequoia » May 25th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Shady Rest is snow free, the RV park across the street has showers free for guests or if you stay at shady a small fee. No word yet on when lakes road will open.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Gary C. » May 26th, 2017, 2:29 am

We were planning a backpack into the Domeland this weekend but the FS says that the Cherry Hill road is still closed to where we want to go. We are still going up there but I may have to hike some other options.
Gary C.

Postby Benny » May 26th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Current Snow report from Tioga Road
Benny

Postby Baughb » May 28th, 2017, 6:40 am

Well THAT was a hard earned snow report! Thanks!!

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Papasequoia » May 28th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Went for a walk around the lakes basin yesterday - I can't imagine why they canceled your reservation, Benny. Oh wait, did I mention we were using snowshoes? The town is telling everyone they don't know when the road will open which makes you think they are hard at work like on Tioga. As it turns out they haven't even STARTED to plow yet. Here's a few pics.

Here's the wife and I enjoying Lake Mary

Mary was totally frozen. Here is a shot of Mamie which is melted only in the middle where Mammoth Creek flows through it.

The waterfall heading down to the Twin Lakes lots of snow around them still, especially on the side opposite the road, but they look fishable.

Oh, and you know that little turnout/parking area where you can pull in and view the Twin Lakes and across them the waterfall? Here's a shot of the bustop in that parking lot.

Have fun!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Benny » May 29th, 2017, 12:59 am

WOW! Thanks for the report. That surely explains why they canceled the reservation. Looking at the images makes me think they will not be open even on June 29. That's just amazing how much snow is up in the Sierra even coming into June. WOW!
Benny

Postby Wildman » May 29th, 2017, 8:34 am

I think we should have a flow pool....when will the Owens go below 760 cfs!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby stanbery » May 29th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Benny
Look at June lake loop area.
jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Ants » May 30th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Papasequoia,
If I was at the area, I would be checking ice depth and casting for the open water.

The geocache will take a lot more shoveling now than it did during the summer.

Nice information update.

Ants
Ants

Postby Papasequoia » June 8th, 2017, 8:36 pm

June 8 update:

Well, it's melting fast, for sure. This is 10 days ago on the banks of Lake Mary:

This was today:

On the other hand, the lake hasn't changed much and is still frozen all over. Thinner maybe, but hard to tell. This picture was taken today from the same spot as the one with my wife and I on snowshoes above:

The Mammoth Creek current going through Mamie continues to melt it from the middle towards the shoreline:

Top of the waterfall looking down towards Twin, it is really roaring now:

The road is now being plowed, it stops at the gate to Horseshoe, looks like it is plowed around Mary, will hike up to George tomorrow to take a peek. The sign for Mary below is the same one taken 10 days ago:

While there are some bare patches and the road is being plowed there are still some deep drifts. I'd be planning on lower elevation campgrounds for the next few weeks!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing