REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Most worthless thing in all of fly fishing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby clee » May 12th, 2017, 5:19 am

These rubber soles from Korker's are as useless as single ply toilet paper after all you can eat Indian buffet. Surprised it didn't leave me dead in some Asian river. Trip report forthcoming.
clee

Re: Most worthless thing in all of fly fishing

Postby Wildman » May 12th, 2017, 6:25 am

Call me old fashioned but I only buy felt. I didn't like my Korkers because I bought them a size too small but those darn near killed me one day in a local creek.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby clee » May 12th, 2017, 6:41 am

I never had a problem with Simms vibram soles. I like to use rubber for travel, particularly international travel, as it dries quickly. Wet felt not only stinks up everything in your luggage but may pose problems at customs. I should have either brought my simms or the felt inserts.
clee

Postby DrCreek » May 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Wildman wrote:Call me old fashioned but I only buy felt. I didn't like my Korkers because I bought them a size too small but those darn near killed me one day in a local creek.

Never had a pair of them. But like Jim, I've only had felt - for everything. If there's hiking involved, then I guess I'm hiking in felt, too.

You aren't the first to castigate the Korker rubber treads. Lesson learned to those of us reading the good, informative posts like yours. Thank you sir.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby lv2fish » May 12th, 2017, 8:33 am

I have had pretty good luck with my simms vibram soles. I added the Simms Alumabite cleats to them which work really well in certain conditions.

Bruce
lv2fish

Postby DarkShadow » May 12th, 2017, 9:27 am

I made the mistake of buying the Korkers first generation wading boots, because the ability to switch soles was appealing.

Too bad the process to switch them out wasn't designed properly and after 'stretching' the plastic railings that held the soles in place, I could not walk in sand or mud, as the sole would just come off. Even my buddy's would say, "Hey your sole fell off again...it's back over here."

:doh:

Of course, they now have a new generation of the soles, but the first impression left a sour taste in my mouth.

My Simm's Vapor Treads have been pretty awesome so far, and I have the Simms Alumibites installed.
DarkShadow

Postby briansII » May 12th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Yeah, those suck. I had a set, and wading with them is dangerous. Not so bad hiking trails though.

I think I have your most worthless thing beat. ALL of my fly fishing gear......not being used. :sad:

briansII
briansII

Postby rkfiske » May 12th, 2017, 1:59 pm

clee wrote:useless as single ply toilet paper after all you can eat Indian buffet

You can leave this experience out of your trip report. :sad:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby WanderingBlues » May 12th, 2017, 4:34 pm

I ate at the Indian Buffet in Bishop once.....

I bought the Korkers Vibram soles when my stock ones wore out. A huge improvement.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BrownBear » May 12th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Felt is banned up here in AK, so we've been dancing with the alternatives. You're right on the money about those Corkers. Their studded versions are a vast improvement, but best we've found by far are the Simms with their screw-in carbide stars or whatever they call them. Really take to the bottom and they don't seem to wear out.

BTW- We used the Simms for 3 winters on the Kern and give them equally high marks. Better than felt by quite a bit. Dunno about the studded Corkers on the Kern, but I'm betting they'll work at least as well as felt, and maybe better too. My geezerly body proved too old and clumsy for the Vibrams. :roll:
BrownBear

Postby Papasequoia » May 12th, 2017, 8:06 pm

For the last couple of years I have been using Korkers but with a very different tread pattern on the bottom made by Vibram and they have worked great for me. I also use the felt bottom on them depending on where I am fishing.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flyster » May 12th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I have three pair of wading boots. First would be an older pair of Simms that are cleated felt. Second would be my Korkers that have super large cleats. They remind me of the football cleats I used in high school.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby clee » May 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:I ate at the Indian Buffet in Bishop once......

So have I. Not bad by Bishop standards.
clee

Postby Rasputinj » May 13th, 2017, 5:13 pm

DarkShadow wrote:I made the mistake of buying the Korkers first generation wading boots, because the ability to switch soles was appealing.

Too bad the process to switch them out wasn't designed properly and after 'stretching' the plastic railings that held the soles in place, I could not walk in sand or mud, as the sole would just come off. Even my buddy's would say, "Hey your sole fell off again...it's back over here."

Of course, they now have a new generation of the soles, but the first impression left a sour taste in my mouth.

My Simm's Vapor Treads have been pretty awesome so far, and I have the Simms Alumibites installed.

I had the same issue. Now I go between 3 pairs Simms and Patagonia boots. The Simms has the cleats on it perfect for Kern. Lightweight Patagonia for UO, Gorge and LA River. Then another Patagonia to fill in front enthralled Simms. I like the softer rubber soles of the Patagonia vs Simms. But I like the Simms boots quality better. I normally buy last years boots when I find them on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby NorcalBob » May 14th, 2017, 3:41 pm

I have the 2nd generation Korker soles and they are also useless. Mine lasted about a year and one month before the plastic/rubber sole holders started cracking and then breaking off. After that, they fall off quite easily!!! Of course, the warranty is for one year!!! I will never buy another Korker wading boot again.

DarkShadow wrote:I made the mistake of buying the Korkers first generation wading boots, because the ability to switch soles was appealing.

NorcalBob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing