REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Miss Nona

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Miss Nona

Postby WanderingBlues » April 27th, 2017, 3:51 pm

My Grandma passed away on New Years Eve. She was 97 years young and was a fireball right up until she wasn't. A full blooded Choctaw, she lived on land that had been a part of our family since the Reconstruction of the South, but had recently been placed into assisted care due to falling.

The care facility was nice and staffed with folks who knew Grandma (rural Mississippi is a small place) as well as all her surviving kin. Once in, however, Grandma never ventured out again. Except once.

The last time I saw her, not too long before her passing, we swung by enroute home from buying the new Airstream. As a kid, I remember my Grandpa pointing out Airstreams on the road and telling how they were the class of all trailers. They'd never have afforded one. He worked, literally, til the day he died. I kinda always knew one day I'd figure out a way to have one. But, I digress....

When Grandma heard we had an Airstream out front, for the one and only time she grabbed her walker and scooted out the front door of her home for a closer look. She couldn't climb up, but she peered into it for quite a while before declaring it was as beautiful as she thought it would be.

That was the last time I saw her.

On her land was a Black Walnut tree that, as best we could determine, was planted around 1890. It was the landmark that told you it was Grandma's driveway. I built forts in it as a kid and hauled buckets of walnuts by rope, while they were still green, to use as projectiles against my brother or anyone else who might storm the defenses. As Grandma got older, and the property got harder to maintain, the tree got blight and had to be taken down.

My uncle had the foresight to have the tree milled into planks rather than throwing it away or burning it. Last time I visited him, he gave me a couple of planks. I considered making shelves, or a table, or maybe an art piece. Then, I had an epiphany- why not honor the woman who taught me to fish, bought me my first cane pole, my first Zebco, and never discouraged my hours on the water, with a net? And there was only one person who came to mind- Greg Madrigal. With a few texts and pics, we determined it could happen.

Soon after, Greg and I met up and talked about my Grandma and who she was. We decided the net needed to feature the walnut, and had to be interesting but not pompous. I left him the wood and gave him my complete trust.

When it came to to putting bling on it, I wanted it to have Grandma's name, "Miss Nona" on it. When Greg asked me to figure out a font and inlay, there was only one choice- Airstream font in aluminum. It couldn't have come out any finer....

With Greg's wonderful and respectful skills, Miss Nona is now a part of the family. The rich Black Walnut was supplemented with Cherry, Curly Maple, and Wenge. He even managed to use it in the magnetic lanyard.

I wish Grandma could see it. I think she'd be a bit embarrassed, but at the same time in awe that a thing as nice as that could come from that old Black Walnut. Only thing left to do now is put a fish in it.

"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Miss Nona

Postby DubL HauL » April 27th, 2017, 4:19 pm

outstanding!
DubL HauL

Postby NorcalBob » April 27th, 2017, 4:36 pm

What a wonderful remembrance of Miss Nona! :bananadance:
Hurry up and break that puppy in!!!
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » April 27th, 2017, 5:27 pm

That's pretty cool Curtis. I can tell you Greg's net will outlast you. I know mine will.
lucfish

Postby DrCreek » April 27th, 2017, 5:54 pm

I have no words that can accurately convey what I'm feeling. Amazing is what's left.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby WanderingBlues » April 27th, 2017, 6:03 pm

DrCreek wrote:I have no words that can accurately convey what I'm feeling. Amazing is what's left.

Remember the first time we met Greg camping up on the eastside and introduced him to grilled peaches and tuna? And he showed us his nets? I never thought I'd be the recipient, and of one that would mean so much.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » April 27th, 2017, 6:29 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
DrCreek wrote:I have no words that can accurately convey what I'm feeling. Amazing is what's left.

Remember the first time we met Greg camping up on the eastside and introduced him to grilled peaches and tuna? And he showed us his nets? I never thought I'd be the recipient, and of one that would mean so much.

I do. I remember being speechless then, too.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby teejay » April 27th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Great testimonial!
teejay

Miss Nona

Postby Rasputinj » April 27th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Incredible net and even a better story to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Gary C. » April 28th, 2017, 2:13 am

Like Creek said, Amazing!!
Gary C.

Postby John Harper » April 28th, 2017, 5:45 am

Wow, great story and a great net. Greg has really gotta good at his craft!!!! I wish you many years of great fishing with that fine net.

John
John Harper

Postby fshflys » April 28th, 2017, 6:00 am

I saw a preview of Miss Nona from a facebook post. Having the story behind her brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure she'll be remembered each time you put something in that net plus plenty of pictures to share. Good job Greg, have fun with Miss Nona Curtis.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby mountainbiker » April 28th, 2017, 6:32 am

Your uncle was a smart guy with foresight as you said. A keepsake forever, how special.
mountainbiker

Postby Wingnut » April 28th, 2017, 7:02 am

Great Stuff my friend. Now GO FISH!
Wingnut

Postby fly addict » April 28th, 2017, 7:24 am

Curtis,
Great story and what a way to remember your “Miss Nona”. She would be proud of the net & you.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing