REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A reminder that they are out there....somewhere

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A reminder that they are out there....somewhere

Postby Wildman » March 30th, 2017, 8:22 am

I live a 5,000 ft in the foothills of a mountain range. I do have a small pound for wildlife and birds (15'X10') but no body of water close to me other then the Aquaduct which is about five miles as the crow flies. This is not the first time I have seen a little guy like this on our place and it happened at the end of the first big wind event a week ago. I am assuming he flew in on the wind and now is looking for someone. Wonder if they enjoy flying like the Seagull in "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"?

Reminds me of just how much I enjoy fishing with these nymphs or drys.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: A reminder that they are out there....somewhere

Postby NorcalBob » March 30th, 2017, 10:07 am

The best mayfly hatch I ever saw in my entire life was at the KFC in Los Banos. They were attracted to the neon signs and just absolutely covered the place. It was difficult to walk into the building without slipping and falling. And of course, Los Banos is a long way from any natural water bodies (not counting man made canals!).
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » March 31st, 2017, 9:07 am

They do show up in some strange places. This one was inside my office.

briansII
briansII

Postby DrCreek » March 31st, 2017, 9:17 am

I'd love to find some of those down here. It would give me hope. Unless there's a miracle holdover puddle out there, I'm afraid our county has lost all of its wild trout population. Just too much drought. But totally glad you guys are seeing the flies. Its amazing !
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Return to General Fly Fishing