REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hmmmm...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hmmmm...

Postby WanderingBlues » March 15th, 2017, 8:11 am

Anyone know this gentleman at Southern California Flyfishing Expeditions? He's outing some sensitive waters with some outrageous claims.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Hmmmm...

Postby FIGHTONSC » March 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

You barely get out of the drought and now you have a guy guiding/posting about the last vestiges of wild trout water remaining in SoCal, along with stating that you are allowed to keep two trout per day.

Glad I'm out of California.....it's getting worse by the minute! :doh:

Regards from Kansas,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2017, 8:56 am

He's (and his website) been around for quite a while and predates the drought, so there's nothing new about him. I remember the furor from the old KRFF board many years ago about his website. At least he took some of our "gripes" to heart as he used to have real names of streams and maps posted prominently on his website. I couldn't find them this time (but maybe he has just hidden them better on his site this time).
NorcalBob

Postby lucfish » March 15th, 2017, 9:03 am

It is old news. When someone thinks they can make a buck they will do most anything. He's not the only one guiding these waters. I don't go much anymore but if I saw one guiding one I know I would stay ahead of them the whole time, they would NEVER get above me.
lucfish

Postby clee » March 15th, 2017, 9:13 am

I remember him. He did take off all the names off his site. I'm not too concerned anymore. Those outrageous claims he makes were true a few years ago. Those fish are now all but dead. Someone is going to be pretty disappointed when they book a trip or buy that video and only end up getting 6 inch fish. I don't think he'll sell too many of those videos anyhow. Fish killers and lazy fishermen are cheap SOBs.
clee

Postby WanderingBlues » March 15th, 2017, 9:15 am

For some reason, it popped up on my FB feed. He's touting a video series and names some waters held in high esteem. I assume he's using FB to market to anyone who's into fishing- aka folks who may not appreciate the fragility of the resource.

I'm not against someone guiding the waters, but blasting the info out isn't too wise as there will be guys trolling for spots.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2017, 10:40 am

I really don't do FB much, so I don't know what he's posting there. I'm glad though that he did seem to remove most of the bad stuff from his site. I really didn't understand why he posted names and maps in the first place on his site many years ago as it just gives everything away for free. And while it may garner him a few new clients in the short term, he just provided a roadmap to every yahoo on the interweb to decimate his waters without booking him, and in the long term cost him his business. :doh:
WanderingBlues wrote:For some reason, it popped up on my FB feed. He's touting a video series and names some waters held in high esteem. I assume he's using FB to market to anyone who's into fishing- aka folks who may not appreciate the fragility of the resource.

I'm not against someone guiding the waters, but blasting the info out isn't too wise as there will be guys trolling for spots.
NorcalBob

Postby clee » March 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

NorcalBob wrote:I really don't do FB much, so I don't know what he's posting there. I'm glad though that he did seem to remove most of the bad stuff from his site. I really didn't understand why he posted names and maps in the first place on his site many years ago as it just gives everything away for free. And while it may garner him a few new clients in the short term, he just provided a roadmap to every yahoo on the interweb to decimate his waters without booking him, and in the long term cost him his business. :doh:

Don't overthink it, some people ain't too bright. I know a few guides who think only in the short term with no regards to their future livelihood.
clee

Postby Wildman » March 15th, 2017, 11:02 am

I fished with him once years ago. He came with One2fish and promptly went off on his own program without telling anyone and we ended up staying an hour or so later till he decided to show up.

The "video" is nothing more then a Powerpoint that he added some stuff to and now sells for $20. You can't download it (well you can if you know the right program) but must watch it on his server. The part that * me off is he gives turn by turn directions to the "FAB 4" Socal fishing sites down to where to park your car. Yeah....I know, there are no secret spots but posting them for anyone with a pole and a hook is just plain irresponsible when 22 million people live within an hours drive from any of these spots. I do remember the dramatic difference after a local newspaper and a fishing mag both posted stories on the 15" Browns in a local and pretty soon those were pretty much gone.

He charges $450+ a day for guiding. I checked last year and he was a CA registered guide but had his name on the secret....do not show list. He does not have a permit to guide on the San Bernardino, Cleaveland or Angeles NF which is required if you are making money using the nation's resources.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Ants » March 15th, 2017, 11:57 am

Gee! Guide and * both have five letters in the word. At least a * profits from her (usually) personal assets, instead of public assets.

Ants
Ants

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Turn him in to the USFS LEO's. I can't speak for SoCal, but up in NorCal the USFS LEO's actively enforce guide permits and regularly run "sting operations" and issue citations.
Wildman wrote:He charges $450+ a day for guiding. I checked last year and he was a CA registered guide but had his name on the secret....do not show list. He does not have a permit to guide on the San Bernardino, Cleaveland or Angeles NF which is required if you are making money using the nation's resources.
NorcalBob

Postby Wildman » March 15th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I've mentioned it to the SBNF but they are so short on personnel right now and budgets are frozen so they are just trying to manage the very large number of permittees on the Forest....(almost 400 on Big Bear Lake area alone). I'll mention it to the LEO I see now and again.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby DarkShadow » March 15th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Our fragile streams don't need the extra pressure.

:doh:

(Although anybody with a computer and access to Google can do a bit of sleuthing to find these areas.)

Furthermore, there are tons of publicly accessible documents that the DFG has made that also list these streams by name. I do understand their research should be publicly available, though.
DarkShadow

Postby tomsakai » March 15th, 2017, 5:24 pm

He actually spoke at the Orange County Fly Fishing Club a year or more ago to promote his services. Wish I could have been there, but the wife had me reorganizing my socks drawer that night. :roll: Sad that he's still promoting his business in the face of truly impacted fish populations.
tomsakai

Postby NorcalBob » March 15th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Yep, trying to get LEO assets is tough right now and I don't see that getting any better in the near future. Interestingly, up here in NorCal, "legal" guides are turning in the "illegal" ones, and are the driving force behind getting USFS enforcement. They tell the USFS if you don't start enforcement, then I'm not going to get permitted either.
Wildman wrote:I've mentioned it to the SBNF but they are so short on personnel right now and budgets are frozen so they are just trying to manage the very large number of permittees on the Forest....(almost 400 on Big Bear Lake area alone). I'll mention it to the LEO I see now and again.
NorcalBob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing