REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing streamers in Eastern Sierra Lakes

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fishing streamers in Eastern Sierra Lakes

Postby bmachale » December 7th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Hello All,

I was looking for advice on streamer type and size to use in Sierra lakes like South Lake and Sabrina. Mostly stockers there, but also for wild trout in lakes in Little Valley and Long Lake near South Lake.

I was thinking featherwing spruces might be good. Wondering about the size of fly for trout in the 10-14 inch range.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thank you, Bob
bmachale

Re: Fishing streamers in Eastern Sierra Lakes

Postby Wildman » December 7th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Welcome, Bob. There are a number of folks who enjoy fishing streamers for all kinds of fish. I'm sure you'll hear rom a few.

When you get a minute, share a little bit about yourself and how you got into fly fishing. Got some pictures to share of previous trips, post those as well. We love photos. Kinda like a introduction and welcome handshake all into one.

Looking forward to seeing future posts from you.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby bmachale » December 8th, 2016, 1:00 pm

In the 70s and 80s I used to go to lower owens and june lake area with my father. I then joined the navy and was gone for 10 years or so. Mostly spinning but I did do a little fly.

When I came back to SOCAL I was married. My wife and son did not like camping. Then I caught large tuna on my boat and I was addicted to offshore fishing.

Last August I went glamping with my wife at Parchers. She enjoined that and fish Bishop Creek and South Lake. She does not like my crazy trips on the boat offshore. Too early departure, too long on the water, too late getting back.

We will be going about once a month to the Eastern Sierras starting in April or May so we can spend more time together. Hiking to back country lakes and streams. Crowley. Upper and Lower Owens . South Lake, Sabrina and PVR too.

Learning to fly fish again gives me the opportunity to effectively fish owens and walker rivers with flies while my wife spins. Having streamers allows me to fish stocked lakes with flies.

So I have purchased lots of equipment and flies to accomplish this. All I have to do is learn to do it well.

We will see how that works out. But I am going to be ready to learn.

Thanks for this site and all your experience.

Bob
bmachale

Postby planettrout » December 8th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Check the Leech, Bugger, Attractors, Wet Fly and Baitfish patterns listed on Steve's flybox page. Most will provide excellent responses by Sierra Trout residents:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flybox.htm

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby bmachale » December 8th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Steves page is great. I have quite a few of those. Bugged of various types and mufflers.

What size on the brook trout baitfish series would you use for 10-14 inch trout in lakes as a stripper
bmachale

Postby planettrout » December 8th, 2016, 11:17 pm

Actually, I have had much more success with these, in high mountain lakes, rather than baitfish patterns:

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/tag/s ... -patterns/

...and I would also suggest these Seal Bugger variants:

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/2016/ ... r-the-son/

...and these as well:

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -approved/

I've had success, back in the day (about the time you were fishing with your Dad), using small Rainbow and Brown trout patterns in the meadow section of Robinson Creek up in Bridgeport. That section is now fenced in and is private property. It is no longer accessible except to ranch guests - but ya' can ride horses there... ;)

http://www.hunewillranch.com

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby bmachale » December 10th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Thank you planettrout
bmachale

Postby Bob S » December 11th, 2016, 8:03 pm

I like the following bugger type streamer tied on a size 8 3xl hook.

1. Orange brass conehead.
2. Tail, brown marabou
3. A little flash in the tail, your choice, flashabou or crystal flash, just a few strands.
4. Body, brown chenille, crystal flash, or Halloween colored new age chenille.
5. Brown bugger type hackle, or griz dyed brown. I tie it in by the stem right behind the cone, palmer it back and rib some wire forward binding down the hackle, tie the wire in right after the tail.
6. You can weight the hook shank with .020 lead or lead free weight.

The cone will drop it fairly fast and I fish it fast, lots of fun when it gets smacked and fairly fast to tie.

Bob
Bob S

Postby bmachale » December 12th, 2016, 7:02 pm

sounds like a neat bugger thanks bob
bmachale

Postby Gila Trout » January 20th, 2017, 10:03 am

Hello, try an orange and olive Twin Lakes Special. I have not found a better still water fly for the eastern Sierra
Gila Trout

Postby BobK » January 20th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Throw in some 10's and 12 Hornbergs and olive green or brown Matukas, same sizes. You will catch fish in the creeks with those same flies in 12's and 14's or grease the #14 Hornberg up a bit and fish it dry/semi dry. Note: you won't be fishing the back country lakes in April/May this year as we are being pounded by storms. 4" of snow in my yard just west of bishop this morning and it is still coming down. 3-4 ft of snow at bishop cr lodge before this storm started yesterday. My cabin is about 1/2 mile below South lake and I probably won't get it open 'til late May/early June
BobK

Return to General Fly Fishing