REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Going North to Idaho

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Going North to Idaho

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 13th, 2016, 5:08 am

I am heading up to the panhandle of Idaho on April 30th. I've never been even tho I grew up in the SW part of the state. I'll be staying near the Border of Wa. & Id in Newport, and want to fly fish if at all possible, but I don't know the area at all. Anyone have any tips or must-fishes? On May 5th, I fly down to Boise till the 10th and am staying with the nephew in Emmett (Hmmmmm, isn't there an addict living in Emmett?) This is when I get to play. REALLY wanna fish the O and maybe Sagehen Res. again (where I fished as a kid). Any help at either place is appreciated. I'm also a bit concerned about runoff.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Re: Going North to Idaho

Postby midger » February 15th, 2016, 9:07 pm

I can't help much with Northern Idaho, but fishing around Boise will be limited as most waters close March 31st to Memorial Day weekend--Rivers like the SFB, MFB, etc. The Boise River through town is open and the Owyhee may or may not be fishing okay then, but flows will may still be around 15-20cfs--very low if the flows haven't started up for runoff but flows generally start increasing around that time of year.. That's probably your best bet that time of year.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Going North to Idaho

Postby BobK » February 15th, 2016, 10:00 pm

I'm going to be in Spokane March 2-6 and plan on fishing the Cour d'Alene (sp) area if I can find out some info. I've been told that due to runoff it can be a bad time to fish. I'll let you know what I find out and how I do. Please let me in on anything that you find out. Thanks BobK
BobK

Return to General Fly Fishing