REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New to the area and fly fishing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New to the area and fly fishing

Postby Sjwhitley11 » February 10th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Hi my name is Sean and I am new to California fishing I am a Marine stationed on camp pendelton and we deploy in April, I used to fly fish when I was younger but was handed the set up pre tied and ready to roll. Just got a brand new echo rod and real #5. Needless to say I am trying to get back into it. I am however an avid waterfowler and outdoorsman, I am originally from central Missouri so fishing in general is alittle different. I am taking a trip up by Bishop to give a try at some rainbows and browns and any helpful hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sjwhitley11

Re: New to the area and fly fishing

Postby clee » February 10th, 2016, 1:45 pm

If you plan on fishing the lower (or what is now called the middle) bring small flies 18 and under of various colors. Make sure you're fishing enough weight that flies are the bottom. You might get a hatch around noon or so, so bring some BWO dries size 18.

Good luck Devil Dog.
clee

Postby Bstallings » February 10th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Fished the middle section 1/29 & 30th. Snowed out the 31st. Small, 18-24, black flies fished along the bottom worked best. Tight line techniques worked for me but others used an indicator. Fish were rising during the day for emergers just below or in the surface film.
A word of caution, Fish & Wildlife were working the area hard checking license & barbs. Make sure you pinch the barbs down well. One buddy was cited for a barb not pinched down properly. Warden said he could confiscate his rod & reel but didn't.

Have fun up there!

CUFSHN

BILL
Bstallings

Postby WanderingBlues » February 10th, 2016, 4:42 pm

First, and most importantly, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. My son's a fly tosser stationed at Fort Riley with the 1st Infantry Division.

As to the Lower Owens, midges, BWO's. And check out the Gorge. Hopefully someone is heading up that way and can give you a tour.

Welcome to the Forum!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BobK » February 10th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Give me a call whenu come up or just before. I believe that I can help. BobK
BobK

Postby WanderingBlues » February 10th, 2016, 9:07 pm

BobK wrote:Give me a call whenu come up or just before. I believe that I can help. BobK

Sean, that's an offer you should 100% take Bob up on. And, Bob's a fellow Marine.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby stanbery » February 10th, 2016, 9:51 pm

BobK wrote:Give me a call whenu come up or just before. I believe that I can help. BobK

That is a great offer, Ask if you can fish for his pets!!

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sjwhitley11 » February 11th, 2016, 8:56 am

Thank you guys for all your help, I just messaged Bobk and can't wait for the reply and this weekends fishing trip!
Sjwhitley11

Postby Wildman » February 14th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Sean- Thank you for your service. Hope you were able to make the connection today. Bob is looking to show you some tips and local color. Be sure to keep letting us know when you are going to be up there before you deploy in April.

Looking forward to reading your report on this trip.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Return to General Fly Fishing