REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Going to St. Maartens, Carribean. Tarpon?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Going to St. Maartens, Carribean. Tarpon?

Postby acorad » February 2nd, 2016, 3:33 pm

Hi all,

My wife and I are headed to St Maartens at the end of April, and she is allowing me to bring one fly rod! :-)

What I hope to do is find some easily accessible shore/bay areas that I can impromptu diy for Tarpon. That way I can sneak out for an hour or two and not be neglectful of my husbandy responsibilities.

First, are there any easily accessible shore/bay areas there for Tarpon?

Second, I'm guessing crab and shrimp patterns? Do they chase streamers as well?

I have a 10 wt and a sinking line, I suppose I should get a floating line too?

I've never fished for Tarpon before, so any input is appreciated!

Andy
acorad

Re: Going to St. Maartens, Carribean. Tarpon?

Postby fly addict » February 2nd, 2016, 3:49 pm

Andy,
Sounds like a good trip. If you take care of your husbandry responsibilities before you go fishing you’ll get a longer fishing pass!!! ;) As far as how, where, and what to fish for, I can't help you there.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby NorcalBob » February 2nd, 2016, 4:10 pm

Can't help you out with ST Maartens as I've never been there.
Yes, tarpon chase streamers quite nicely! I've caught more 'poons on streamers than crab/shrimp flies!
My best fly for chasing 'poons in the Yucatan is a chartreuse gurgler! But most Yucatan 'poon fishing is shallow water flats (which Maartens may not be). Can't beat a topwater 'poon grab! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby acorad » February 2nd, 2016, 6:00 pm

Thanks guys, very good suggestions by all so far! :-)

Andy
acorad

Postby John Harper » February 2nd, 2016, 6:31 pm

Maybe this could help?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... artin.html

Have fun, and good luck.

John
John Harper

Postby acorad » February 2nd, 2016, 10:00 pm

Thanks John, I don't think I'm going to be able to get a hall pass to spend a day with a guide, or even a half-day, but I willl try contacting him, maybe he wouldn't mind just steering me in the right direction...

Andy
acorad

Postby BrownBear » February 5th, 2016, 7:42 am

Seeing snook in the pics, I wouldn't leave home without a pocket full of Crease Flies, probably in 3/0. First time I'd fished them this year in Florida, and I'm sold. Color choice varies with the day, and I see that link only has two. On overcast days especially, but early and late on sunny days, all-white was our best, so I'd search out a source of white too, as a high priority.

Best thing was, EVERYTHING ate Crease Flies if they could find them. Some days the fish were laying too deep in channels, but even there a good pop and gurgle would draw fish from surprising depths. Jan got her biggest tarpon on one (about 36"), and I had a big snook miss one, but knock it so high into the mangroves I had to stand on the casting platform to reach and retrieve it. What a show that strike was!

I'm so impressed I'm ordering Joe Blados cutters to make my own. I'm betting I'll hammer bass in Isabella and salmon in Alaska on them. It's not often I get this ginned up about a pattern.
BrownBear

Postby acorad » February 5th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Thanks BB!

They sound great, especially in the "salt ponds" (land-locked lagoons) on St M that I'm told are loaded with "baby" tarpon. The ponds are pretty murky, so something splashy/noisy would probably be a good attractor.

Would it stay on the surface with the Tarpon floating w/intermediate tip line you suggested the other day?

The other tip I've heard for the island is that the baitfish and tarpon like to hang around at night under the lights on the various docks & bridges...

Andu
acorad

Postby BrownBear » February 5th, 2016, 2:31 pm

acorad wrote:Would it stay on the surface with the Tarpon floating w/intermediate tip line you suggested the other day?

The slime tips I've used are very slow sinking, almost like an extra long leader. At the pace you'll be retrieving and gurgling the Crease flies, I doubt you'll have much trouble at all. It's not like they're just sitting still.

Baby tarpon in ponds are a hoot! I'm betting there will be snook too, in the same ponds, or at least that's true in Florida. We have a couple near where we stay, and any time the ocean is too rough we head for the ponds. Another "if they're like Florida" point worth considering: The ponds we fish SWARM with noseeums afternoons and evenings. Carry a very good insect repellent, and you'll be glad you did. Okay, one more "if it's like Florida": Baby tarpon are great on 8WTs up to about 20#. Bigger than that, it's 10WT country. If you're only allowed one rod, your 10 is the better choice. But if you can sneak an extra into the rod tube, add your 8WT to the list. A 10 is overkill if the ponds have mostly fish under 30".

Have a ball down there!
BrownBear

Postby acorad » February 5th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Thanks BB, great intel!

Andy
acorad

Return to General Fly Fishing