REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A Bamboo Switch Rod from 1969?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A Bamboo Switch Rod from 1969?

Postby BrownBear » September 6th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Oops! Posted in the wrong spot. Moderators move as you see fit!

I recently bought a barely used 1969 Hardy #7 Wye Palakona, and it arrived this week. Billed as Hardy's dry fly salmon rod and 11' long, it's more of a 1969 switch rod than a true spey. But instinct said it would be ideal for my needs. Nothing would do, but to wet it today. First trip to the water, sight fishing in a lake, third cast of the day, it proved its merit. Yeoman service and fresh coho for dinner guests tonight.

My wife got in on the act, too, but with her usual graphite. Who can resist spotting fish in the calm between wind riffles, then watching the hit?

And the payoff, first of her six caught and released in a couple of hours.
BrownBear

Re: A Bamboo Switch Rod from 1969?

Postby NorcalBob » September 6th, 2015, 7:35 pm

:bravo;
NorcalBob

Postby darrin terry » September 6th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Moved it. :D

Looks like a great way to break in a rod to me. Well done.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby BrownBear » September 6th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Thanks Darrin! Clearly my brain was still on the water.
BrownBear

Postby Ants » September 6th, 2015, 8:55 pm

I would be grinning from ear to ear if I could put a new Rod into use in a condition with fish like that. The local options are limited, but it is nice to learn there are other options around the globe.

So, all these posts and prior posts and comments about wild fish give a new (and financially limited) perspective on what fishing can be if the local conditions are not looking good. The local conditions aren't the most favorable.

How far can I afford to travel? It is a interesting decision to ponder.

As for Hank and Jan, I wonder if there is any question about leaving the home grown conditions?

Ants
Ants

Postby BrownBear » September 7th, 2015, 7:13 am

Ants wrote:As for Hank and Jan, I wonder if there is any question about leaving the home grown conditions?

We vote with our feet! For 5 months per year there's no place on earth we'd rather be. But the other 7 months up here are fishless, with 32-degree horizontal rain in the dark. We fished Florida in February last year, visiting the friends who are visiting and fishing with us up here now in Alaska. We can't afford luxury travel, but we have time on our hands and an active visitor exchange program! :bananadance:

For us the upper Kern was a little rough last year, but we found fish and had a ball in Isabella. It's more about the opportunity to fish than the size and species of fish. Kayaks are on the slate for purchase this fall, and those will give us better access to lots more lake fishing around Bakersfield. Can't wait!
BrownBear

Postby Jimbo Roberts » September 7th, 2015, 9:36 am

More pictures of the rod please.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Packer » September 7th, 2015, 9:56 am

Jimbo Roberts wrote:More pictures of the rod please.

Jimbo

And maybe a couple of the dinner?
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby BrownBear » September 7th, 2015, 11:22 am

Packer wrote:
Jimbo Roberts wrote:More pictures of the rod please.

Jimbo

And maybe a couple of the dinner?

I'll try to get to it later today. I hear the cohos calling my name at the moment! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby Ants » September 7th, 2015, 1:53 pm

The lakes in the Bakersfield area may be fewer when you arrive. There was talk of meeting a water deficit by draining Lake Ming. I haven't been in that area to check on the current water level.

There is plenty of other kayak water, of course.

Ants
Ants

Postby BrownBear » September 7th, 2015, 2:50 pm

I've heard that. If needed we'll just slap the kayaks on top of the truck and hitch the travel trailer and go looking for water. Traveling and staying in a trailer isn't any more expensive than staying home when you get right down to it!
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing