REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Packing/shipping fish

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Packing/shipping fish

Postby littlefish » June 22nd, 2015, 8:54 am

Have any of you guys ever packed/shipped fish from a trip to send home?

Gonna be up on the Columbia this weekend and going on a guided trip for a day. On the off chance I do catch a summer chinook, I'd like to keep it and take it home.

Do I just pack it with dry ice and take it on the plane or are there shipping/packing companies that specialize in that?
littlefish

Re: Packing/shipping fish

Postby fivefish » June 22nd, 2015, 9:32 am

Salmon guides likely run into this situation quite frequently and should be prepared to hook you up with info for the best company to use locally to the water you'll fish.

Not sure where on the Columbia you'll be, but maybe see if you can talk the guide into (or find one that offers this service) a half day salmon and a half day sturgeon. There's nothing quite like getting strapped into a deep sea rod and harness on a boat in a river, hooking a 10 ft long fish that weighs several hundred pounds, and watching it jump out of the water like a marlin while bald eagles fly overhead. One of my favorite days on a guided trip... it was a blast. We used Bite Me Guide Service.
fivefish

Postby NorcalBob » June 22nd, 2015, 12:26 pm

Yes, I've done it, and IMNSHO it's not worth the hassle. Something to keep in mind is the transport cost back to CA, and be aware it can be quite expensive. Your local guide should be able to point you in the right direction to get your fish home. Yes, there are professional fish pack & ship outfits all along the Columbia or you can DIY.
NorcalBob

Postby Papasequoia » June 22nd, 2015, 12:37 pm

I was wondering the same thing - but for goldens. :bananadance:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 87TT » June 22nd, 2015, 12:48 pm

Papasequoia wrote:I was wondering the same thing - but for goldens. :bananadance:

Just roll it up in your sleeping bag........trust me
87TT

Postby Papasequoia » June 22nd, 2015, 1:01 pm

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby littlefish » June 23rd, 2015, 9:39 am

I think I'll just go with the DIY route and save money!

I'll be on the Gorge area instead of the Peninsula (where I think all the the fish packaging/shipping companies are) so it would be out of the way form me.

If I have the salmon smoked and vacuum sealed... do I still need to ice it when I take it on the plane?

Maybe I should just roll it in the sleeping bag! haha! :P
littlefish

Postby NorcalBob » June 23rd, 2015, 11:13 am

Some smoked and vacuum packed salmon require cold storage. But some do not and it depends on how it is processed so check with your processor. DIY likely means you will be shipping/carrying vacuum packed flash frozen salmon fillets/steaks only. If you're trying do do this as cheap as possible, pack it in your checked baggage surrounded by insulating materials (such as jackets, etc). That's the way I've done amounts of up to 10 pounds without incurring extra baggage costs (but remember baggage weight limits!). On a short flight (couple hours) it won't thaw much. Longer flights/shipments required insulated containers (extra cost) and separate shipping (much extra costs). Like I said earlier, it's a hassle, expensive, and I rarely do it. I've never tried carrying on fish on a commercial flight and I have no idea how TSA will react. Checked baggage is not a problem.
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » June 23rd, 2015, 12:40 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Some smoked and vacuum packed salmon require cold storage. But some do not and it depends on how it is processed so check with your processor. DIY likely means you will be shipping/carrying vacuum packed flash frozen salmon fillets/steaks only. If you're trying do do this as cheap as possible, pack it in your checked baggage surrounded by insulating materials (such as jackets, etc). That's the way I've done amounts of up to 10 pounds without incurring extra baggage costs (but remember baggage weight limits!). On a short flight (couple hours) it won't thaw much. Longer flights/shipments required insulated containers (extra cost) and separate shipping (much extra costs). Like I said earlier, it's a hassle, expensive, and I rarely do it. I've never tried carrying on fish on a commercial flight and I have no idea how TSA will react. Checked baggage is not a problem.

What Bob said. I read somewhere that smoked salmon can spoil if it doesn't get processes correctly(think commercial processed for retail sale). So you'll likely need to freeze it, insulated it, then pack it in your checked luggage. A few cold packs wouldn't hurt if you have a long layover.

Years ago I sent a box of salmon fillets home from Alaska. They spoiled because of a long, flight delay. It was expensive back then. Can only imagine how expensive it is now.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » June 23rd, 2015, 4:31 pm

<<<Years ago I sent a box of salmon fillets home from Alaska. They spoiled because of a long, flight delay. It was expensive back then. Can only imagine how expensive it is now.>>>
The last time I did this was in 2012 when we caught a ton of silver salmon. It cost ~ $200 to air freight a 50 pound fish box from ANC to SFO, So I said no way and packed some of the fish in with my checked luggage to keep within weight limits. But, your air carrier may allow a fish box as a regular checked bag for only the additional checked bag fee. Realistically, the only relatively inexpensive way to get fish back is if you can pack it in your bag or check it as an extra bag, for the $25 bag fee, if your air carrier allows it.
NorcalBob

Postby tomsakai » June 23rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

We bring commercially processed salmon home every year from Seattle. My wife buys it at Pike's Place at her favorite market. They pack it fresh with ice packs In 50pound boxes (anything more pays an overweight fee). We check it at Alaska Airlines for the extra bag fee. Never had a problem.
tomsakai

Postby NorcalBob » June 23rd, 2015, 9:13 pm

<<< Never had a problem>>>
Wish I could say the same! Last year, my fishing buddy's fish box got lost enroute by Alaska Airlines, at least he got his baggage fee's refunded!
NorcalBob

Postby BrownBear » June 23rd, 2015, 9:15 pm

When we travel south each fall we have 150# of fish in our baggage. We also haul 100# fish back east to our daughter and family each summer. Then all of our house guests fly home with lots of fish. Yeah, we eat a whole lot of fish and know a lot of serious fish eaters! ;)

And it all makes it safely and in fine condition. But, we're set up for doing it. Everything from vacuum sealers to cold freezers to scales and insulated shipping boxes.

And that's what it takes. If you're not set up for it, though, you kind of climb out on a limb quality-wise. If the fish thaws along the way, you're wasting your money and the fish. Hard to be set up too, when you're traveling.

The airlines are all set up with freezers at the major hubs, and if the boxes (insulated!) are labeled, they'll be put in freezers for a long layovers. In the Seattle airport there's a freezer service right across from the baggage claim if you are spending a day or two before continuing.

Yeah, you'll pay excess baggage for a box of fish. But if it arrives in good form, you're only paying around $25 for a 50# box of incredible fresh fish.
BrownBear

Postby littlefish » June 24th, 2015, 9:10 am

Wow!

Thank you for all this guys!

I'll just go to a butcher where they process fish and have it smoked and vacuum sealed and I'll make sure to ice the heck out of it and get proper insulated packaging.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Thanks again!
littlefish

Postby BrownBear » June 24th, 2015, 9:50 am

littlefish wrote:...and I'll make sure to ice the heck out of it ....

Vacuum sealing is mandatory. Don't use ice if you're flying! It melts faster than chunks of fish and actually speeds thawing of the fish. Dry ice is a no-no on planes, too.

Best we've found is to pack the boxes full to the weight limit. If not full, stuff your extra clothes into the box to take up air space and provide extra insulation.

Friends traveling up here pack their clothes and such into ice chests along with a folded soft duffel bag. Heading home, the fish go into the ice chest and the joint between the lid and body is taped to prevent air circulation. Clothes and such go into the duffel.
BrownBear

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing