REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Thoughts on a combo

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Thoughts on a combo

Postby littlefish » May 28th, 2015, 10:10 am

Hey guys,

Going up to Portland area next month and I'm thinking of getting a heavier rod good for beginners. Looking at the Reddington combo. Either Path or Crosswater because I really don't want to break the bank here.

Path offers a saltwater option. Can I use a salt water reel on the Columbia or is that a no no? (I hate the idea of changing lines/rigs because I'm horrible at knots still)

Also, these combos break down to 4 and 2 piece. What is the difference there? Does it change the strength of the rod or Reddington just wants to charge me more for a 2 piece?
littlefish

Re: Thoughts on a combo

Postby Benny » May 28th, 2015, 10:52 am

The 4 piece is always nice when transporting. For saltwater rod, one with a fighting butt is nice as well.

I sometimes use my TFO TiCr X 6wt while float tubing crowley, especially when stripping streamers. There's no rule that says you need to use certain rods and reels. We use what we can afford and what works for us.

I say go for it and use that reel and rod as a multi use rod, fresh or salt water. It saves you money.
Benny

Postby WanderingBlues » May 28th, 2015, 11:35 am

"Salt" gear can get expensive because you're looking at sealed bearings, high quality drag systems, etc. However, there are some viable options as long as you wash down your gear after use.

For price and quality, check out Echo Fly Rods and reels. $190 for a salt worth stick, and about $80 for a salt worthy reel. PLUS, they are based just across the river from Portland in Vancouver.

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=3&page_id=15&product_type=1

There's no fax paux about using 'salt' gear in freshwater because it all has to do with weights. My 8wt has been in the surf and sees use on big Cutt lakes, as well as steelhead waters. Just take care of what you get and avoid reels with plastic parts, unsealed drags, etc. And 4 piece is way better for transport.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » May 28th, 2015, 12:05 pm

First off, welcome to the asylum. :P

I think either one of the Redington combos will work fine. Without knowing exactly what water you plan to fish in Or., generically speaking, I think an 8wt outfit is a good step up. It'll be an all purpose, big water/fish rod for freshwater, and a light to medium duty saltwater rod. You can use it for big water trout in the Columbia, off the beaches in PNW for cutties and salmon, or back home on the SoCal beaches. What others said about 2 vs 4 pieces, and salt vs fresh.

briansII
briansII

Postby littlefish » May 29th, 2015, 9:51 am

Thanks guys! Will definitely consider those options.

Do I need to wash my line and take extra steps after fishing the surf?

Hopefully Redondo/Torrance will open soon. Darn tar balls!
littlefish

Postby 87TT » May 29th, 2015, 11:58 am

I don't get to saltwater as often as I like but do enjoy it. My rig is an Echo II 9' 8wt rod and a Cabelas Three Forks 789 reel. The reel has been discontinued but can still be found on Ebay and such. It's carbon and has a decent drag. The best thing is it has sealed bearings. Just wash it off with fresh water and your good to go. My thought is spend a little more on the rod. As was said, get a fighting butt on the rod.
87TT

Postby Ants » May 30th, 2015, 11:20 am

I have a few 2-piece rods and have found no big difference between using them and the 4-piece rods. Since the 2-piece seem to be less in favor, the prices may be significantly lower. One of the 2-piece rods will go as a hurricane tamer (if needed) on the FFA high country opener trip.

I also built an 8-foot one piece fiberglass rod since the blank was available. The logistics of using that rod are notable. However, there is the option to add a splice and make it into a 2-piece, but the one piece is an interesting option.

After the first rod or two, you may become more selective since the "gotta have it now" impulse may cool. Some rods are better suited for different fishing, but I would never hesitate to use what you have.

Ants
Ants

Postby littlefish » June 12th, 2015, 10:47 am

Hey guys!

Ended up getting the 4 piece 8wt Redington Path with a fighting butt from ReelFlyRod.

I'll let you guys know when I catch a whale with this! :P

Thanks again for all tips and suggestions!
littlefish

Postby k9mark » June 12th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Take a look at the TFO Mangrove
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby littlefish » June 20th, 2015, 11:59 am

Got my combo in the mail yesterday and tried it out this morning just 'down the street'

Didnt catch anything, but had so much fun! Definitely need to take a surf clinic to figure out what the heck I should be doing!

littlefish

Postby Wildman » June 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Nice rod and great beach. Looking forward to seeing your first fish.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby BrownBear » June 21st, 2015, 8:59 am

That's a worthy combo! Just be aware that salt fishing is at least as addictive as inland fishing! :bananadance:

The surf clinic is a very, very good idea. Not only will it help you find and catch fish, it will help you sort the challenges of waves and constantly changing currents out where the fish are, but also around your legs where your fly line gives free macrame lessons! :doh:
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing