REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Newb here saying hello!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Newb here saying hello!

Postby FlyFavorite » March 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am

Hello from San diego!
My name is Ryan and I have been fly fishing for about 5 years now. Been fishing before I could walk conventionally, fresh water lakes/rivers, and salt water is my main spot to fish. I target mostly bass fresh and salt. I would like to explore a little more and try out some backpacking trips as well and fishing for trout and carp. I live here in East county and it's kinda hard to not fish the saltwater bays, a lot of fun on a kayak that I purchased a couple years ago. I have a three year old son who loves to fish. Not quit fly fishing but definitely interested which I am super excited about. Just would like to say hello and thank you for having me here. I fish consistently once a week usually on weekends. If I get lucky I will get out during the week, but it is rare. I would love to pick the groups brains about backpacking as well as any other info that could help me learn this amazing art. If anyone is down this way and would like to have a buddy to fish with, Just shoot me a message. Again thank you all and hope to get to know everyone and have some fun fishing!!
Ryan
FlyFavorite

Re: Newb here saying hello!

Postby darrin terry » March 23rd, 2015, 1:26 pm

Welcome, Ryan. Looking forward to your posts. Best of luck with the kid, too. Sounds like a fishing partner for years to come.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Newb here saying hello!

Postby silverlaker » March 23rd, 2015, 3:08 pm

Welcome! Wish I was backpacking more myself. When you get around to planning ask away - some of those questions may be best asked under the "delicate topics" headings to protect sensitive areas.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby WanderingBlues » March 23rd, 2015, 4:25 pm

Welcome aboard! If Eric chimes in, he's top tier on backpacking, tossing flies, and being an all around good guy.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Dry Fly Rie » March 23rd, 2015, 9:10 pm

Hey Ryan-

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a San Diego guy (Rancho Bernardo), and also have a 3+ year old son that's getting into fishing. It's tons of fun with the little guy! It sounds like you've got some experience locally with the fly rod under your belt, but if you're ever looking for tips on the salt (bays & surf) you've got to hook up with RichardCullip. He got me started in both a couple of years ago, and he really has the saltwater scene dialed in around SD. One of the nicest dudes you could ever share the water with.

I don't do the whole backpacking thing, but there are a bunch of seasoned vets on here that can point you in the right direction. And if there's any water left this Spring/Summer, the Sierras are obviously a great place to begin your backpacking adventures.

Anyways, welcome aboard. It's a great group of guys and gals who are very helpful. Just ask, and you'll get plenty of help. It also doesn't hurt to post some trip reports from some of your outings, as well.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby RichardCullip » March 23rd, 2015, 9:41 pm

Welcome aboard Ryan. Glad you found us. There are a few of us down in the San Diego area that fish salt (both bays and beach) and that backpack. I'm in the Poway area (extreme NW corner of Poway, almost in Rancho Bernardo). I usually fish saltwater down here in San Diego as the free freshwater opportunities are quite rare. My fishing days are usually Monday and Wednesday mornings but I've been known to fish an occasional Friday or Saturday morning. I willing to share what I know about fly fishing in the salt and anything backpacking related.

If you are into the club scene, both the San Diego Flyfishers and the Golden State Flycasters clubs are pretty active. I belong to both but am having a hard time making most of the meetings. Both clubs meet on a Monday evening and that's usually a family activity night for me.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby tenandtwo » March 23rd, 2015, 10:28 pm

Hi Ryan-

I live about 5 miles N of the SD County line. I fish SD fresh/salt several times each year. If you haven't already try overnight backpacks in the Cuyamaca/ Laguna mtns in your backyard, some taller mtns 2-3 hrs N worth hiking around in as well. Keep taking the kid fishing! Looking forward to your reports.
tenandtwo

Postby stanbery » March 25th, 2015, 6:48 am

Welcome aboard.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing