REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Optics, Sun glasses, Shades...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Optics, Sun glasses, Shades...

Postby Benny » February 24th, 2015, 10:56 am

Which ones are you wearing and why? What are the pros and cons of buying expensive vs cheap?

I have never owned an expensive pair of polarized sun glasses. I always buy a cheap pair and I always scratch the heck out of them. Surprisingly I have only lost one pair of glasses while surf fishing. I am in the market for a quality pair after so many crappy off the rack specials. Don't get me wrong the off the rack specials usually last a year or so before needing replacing. I'm sure if I add up all the pairs I have bought over the years, I could have gotten a few nice pairs of expensive glasses.

Do the expensive glasses last longer than the cheap glasses as far as scratches go?

I was looking on STP for Costa sun glasses, but unsure of all the hype behind them. Just might be good marketing.

Anyhow, if you guys have reviews or recommendations on certain pairs of shades, can you please share.

Thanks
Benny
Benny

Re: Optics, Sun glasses, Shades...

Postby WanderingBlues » February 24th, 2015, 11:08 am

STP for Costas is the way to go. Quality glass lenses that provide amazing contrast. I also have several Oakelys because they have a law enforcement program, but the Costas smack them down. The other I like is Wiley X. Really good tactical glass.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby MrBiggs » February 24th, 2015, 11:20 am

I'm really big on my Smiths.

I have polarchromic lenses, and like "transition" lenses they'll darken or lighten depending on the ambient light. I'd like to think that keeps me on the water longer, or at least wearing my glasses longer. I've liked all the Costas that I've tried on, too. The one thing that I realized I really like are glass lenses. No more polycarbonate for me.

I used to use Oakleys, but man something must have changed there. They used to be noticeably good quality optics. Now, pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of optics, but with coatings that peeled off, and hinges that were junk. All while still paying the premium price. I've relegated those to surf fishing, where I don't care if they get lost.

Anyway, my opinion: spend some money on a nice pair that fit your head and are comfy, then spend a little bit more money on something that prevents you from losing them. Unless, of course, you tend to lose glasses a lot. Then find yourself something that works and doesn't break the bank.
MrBiggs

Postby midger » February 24th, 2015, 11:43 am

I've purchased many pair of glasses from STP with my favorites being glass-lensed polarized Serengetis. Glass lenses are far more durable then the plastic lenses and I rarely get more then a year out of the plastic lenses before they're scratched beyond use. If you require magnifying bifocals to see smaller flies, then your choices are even more limited, but I'd still recommend purchasing glass lenses if you can find them. You may have to go to a regular outlet as that type are hard to find at STP, but occasionally they'll have a pair or two in stock. The problem with mailorder on glasses is getting a good fit. You'll notice that the temple sizes vary a lot and getting a good fit without trying them on is not the best solution. I'm able to go to a STP outlet in Boise and try them on before buying, but most of you probably won't be near Boise, Reno, or Cody where their outlets are located.

That being the case, if you're a member of Costco, you can generally get a good fit there and their prices are pretty good.

I've worn Smith, Coyote, Costa, Maui Jim, and other brands it all comes down to fit, fit, fit and lens color you want. I prefer the copper/brown lens with a 2.5 magnifier in GLASS
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fshflys » February 24th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I've owned the same pair of Ray Ban's for over 15 years. I've replaced the lenses every few years, perscription changes. The frames are great, very durable. I use a stiff nylon/mono retainer while fishing. I've always thought if you buy a good quality set of sunglasses that you won't lose them, you'll be more careful with them. Having said that I would like to try some Costa glasses, https://www.costadelmar.com/ I've heard good reviews of them. Go to their website & use the Store Locater & go try some on.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby fshflys » February 24th, 2015, 2:09 pm

My retainers are Chums Mono-Orbiter, got them at Troufitters, when worn the back of the strap does not ride on you neck like regular croakies, tends not to catch on your shift collar also. Looks like Costa makes something similar, C-Mono Retainer.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Gary C. » February 24th, 2015, 2:13 pm

I really like the Smiths. The polarization works well and I have not too much problem with scratching. I like STP but have not looked at there prices lately. Have been watching Steep and Cheap. Here is a current sale with 3 days left.

scroll down a ways
http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache ... ccessories
Gary C.

Postby briansII » February 24th, 2015, 2:35 pm

midger wrote:I've worn Smith, Coyote, Costa, Maui Jim, and other brands it all comes down to fit, fit, fit and lens color you want. I prefer the copper/brown lens with a 2.5 magnifier in GLASS

What Midger said. Only thing I would add is, I like "rose" tint too. This is not your stereotypical rose color, but more of a brown/bronze tone, only lighter. Fit is king though. My current pair are bifocal LL Bean's. Great fit and color, but they'll need to be replaced in a year or two. The lenses are polycarbonate.

I have not bought any of the $200+ glasses because I'm hard on them, or lose them. I'm sure they are wonderful, but after losing my week old RX glasses, it reinforced why I shouldn't pay big bucks for sunglasses.

briansII
briansII

Postby anacrime » February 24th, 2015, 7:07 pm

I've been wearing Oakley Frogskins for like 5 years now. The arms pop off easily, so if you drop or sit on em or something, you can snap em right back in. And the lenses are easily replaceable as there are lots of after market ones available.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby lucfish » February 24th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Smith, copper, glass, can't go wrong.
lucfish

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 24th, 2015, 8:26 pm

midger wrote:That being the case, if you're a member of Costco, you can generally get a good fit there and their prices are pretty good.

I have to wear prescription so I had to go with Costco because that was all that was in my price range. I am hoping they will be fine on the water.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Autodave » February 24th, 2015, 9:52 pm

I got some Smith's a while back with copper/brown tint, I like them.
Autodave

Postby Benny » February 25th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Stopped in at BMFS to try on sunglasses, unfortunately they only carry Smith and off the rack stuff. I endend up buying tying materials for some clousers. I need to find a store that carries Costa sunglasses.
Benny

Postby midger » February 25th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Bass Pro carries Costas
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Vincesalad » April 6th, 2015, 11:50 am

Maui Jim sunglasses are the BEST polarized sunglasses for the price. I've used Oakley, Rayban, Smith and Arnet. Costas are decent but Maui Jim are far better. The glare reduction, clarity and color enhancing of Maui Jim lenses allow you to spot more fish than any other sunglass. Also, customer service is amazing.
check them out!
www.mauijim.com

VS
Vincesalad

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing