REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Optics, Sun glasses, Shades...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Optics, Sun glasses, Shades...

Postby BrownBear » April 6th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Maui's are my go-to in the tropics, especially offshore. But upon trying them at home in Alaska I found then too dark for freshwater use, even on sunny days. They're too dark offshore on cloudy days as well, but fine on the salt when the sun shines. If they made some light tan "cold water" versions, I'd probably use nothing else.
BrownBear

Postby fflutterffly » April 7th, 2015, 6:12 am

What did you get?
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Benny » April 7th, 2015, 7:12 am

fflutterffly wrote:What did you get?

Just recently purchased the Costa Corbina optics. Note that these are my first pair of expensive optics for fishing. I usually go to the off the rack pair of polarized glasses that sell for way cheaper.

My review on the Costa Corbina's 580G.

Total Price: $182.95 from Amazon + I got free shipping

These glasses are like everyone says... Everything is incredibly vivid! The glasses are much heavier than my off the rack glasses that I've bought in the past. That is to be expected due to the fact that I went with the 580G lens instead of plastic. They fit nicely on my big head. I thought that even at $182.95 they were pretty pricey, but that's better than paying full retail at $249.00. This is what I took into consideration with the price though, every pair of Costa optics include a lifetime warranty. The glass lenses have the greatest clarity and are more scratch resistant than the plastic lenses. I like the light weight of my cheap glasses, but it's just a matter of getting used to wearing the Costa's in my opinion. It's like wearing a new pair of shoes, you have to get use to that new feeling.

Overall, build is heavy duty compared to the cheap of the rack glasses. Everything does look way clearer and super vivid. I went with the blue mirror 580G. I also bought the Costa Del Mar C-Line retainer so I don't lose the very expensive pair of optics.

By the way I posted this in gear review ; )
Benny

Postby planettrout » April 9th, 2015, 7:47 am

I'll third on the Maui Jims...got my first pair at A-16 on the Westside, years ago...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Benny » April 9th, 2015, 7:53 am

planettrout wrote:I'll third on the Maui Jims...got my first pair at A-16 on the Westside, years ago...

PT/TB

Haven't been in Adventure 16 for years. That's a very cool store for the backpacking or adventure seeking enthusiasts.
Benny

Postby Wingnut » April 9th, 2015, 7:55 am

Swing by here every now and then and you could score a good pair on the cheap.

http://www.campmor.com/h/s/shop-by-sale ... ls/eyewear
Wingnut

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing