REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Poison Oak?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Poison Oak?

Postby dray » February 18th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I haven't got poison oak in several years, but I am highly allergic to the stuff. A couple Sundays ago I was fishing with fellow forum member Rasputnj (Jason) and thought I was being diligent enough by wearing long sleeves and wadders turned down as pants. I normally keep a keen eye out for the plant and didn't notice coming across any, however, a couple days later the dreaded blisters appeared along with the annoying itch. Not too bad, a few small patches on my leg, ribcage and arm. If/when I do get PO, I normally get it in the summer. Jason was wet wadding in shorts and we followed each other bush whacking our way downstream with no ill effect.

Has anyone had a winter time PO experience?

Maybe our So. Ca summer like temps are making it blossom a bit earlier. If you're allergic to PO keep an eye out.

Itching like crazy,

Darrin
dray

Re: Poison Oak?

Postby acorad » February 18th, 2015, 8:57 pm

PO does not take the winter off, it is poisonous all year round.

I keep an eye open for red leaves and stay far away from them, red leaves are very obvious and are almost always PO.

Sorry you got hit!

Andy
acorad

Poison Oak?

Postby Rasputinj » February 18th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Sorry Darrin I picked up 50 bites on my legs so much for saving weight by not bringing waders and just wet wading. Plus the additional 20 bites on my hands. I did not expect so many bites in early Feb nor would I expect poison oak issues this time of year. This is the same creek that I fought ice 1-2 inches think during the cold spell in January.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Wildman » February 18th, 2015, 11:41 pm

All of the plants that sting or itch are capable of nailing you even when their leaves have fallen. Without the distinctive shape and colors, it's hard to spot the plants.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby planettrout » February 19th, 2015, 7:37 am

I crawled through a bunch of that PO while going through A.I.T. at Ft. Ord, back in the day. It was really bad. The doctor at the base hospital gave me a steroid shot and I have never been plagued with it since...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Ants » February 19th, 2015, 7:44 am

The shape of poison oak plant is distinctive even with no leaves. If I had a photo I would post it. The oils / sap that causes the problems works 24/7 and 365 days year. For me, the poison oak and poison ivy have not been a concern. However, I could easily carry it to someone who is susceptible (or the immunity could disappear). It is always good to minimize contact.

There is lots of poison oak along most So CA waters and even more if you head North.

Ants
Ants

Postby WanderingBlues » February 19th, 2015, 9:52 am

Never been affected by it before. Thankfully!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » February 19th, 2015, 9:53 am

Ants wrote:The shape of poison oak plant is distinctive even with no leaves. If I had a photo I would post it. The oils / sap that causes the problems works 24/7 and 365 days year. For me, the poison oak and poison ivy have not been a concern. However, I could easily carry it to someone who is susceptible (or the immunity could disappear). It is always good to minimize contact.

There is lots of poison oak along most So CA waters and even more if you head North.

Ants

The reason I'm very careful around PO, is that I could bring it home, and have it effect my kid. If I've been in contact with PO, I use Technu on my arms/legs before I head for home. All my clothes get washed twice when I get home. I then run another cycle in the empty washer to clean out any PO oil/urushiol residue. Last thing I want is my daughter to have a reaction, and suffer because I went fishing and didn't take precautions.

The narrow opening with poison oak on both sides is very common on my home water. Image

I've literally crawled on my hands and knees through a tunnel of poison oak, and many times had no choice but to brush against it. So far.....knock on wood, I haven't had any reactions, and none from family members.

briansII
briansII

Postby John Harper » February 19th, 2015, 10:12 am

I got scratched on the inside of my arm years ago by a dormant (no leaves at all) branch of PO. I had never been affected by it, but the scratch became infected a couple days later, and spread from there. Have never got it since, but it definitely was not a real fun experience.

John
John Harper

Postby BrownBear » February 19th, 2015, 10:42 am

I've never reacted to it, even when doing my graduate work back in the early 1970's on Trinity tributaries that were loaded with it. But I've had to be really conscious of it because my wife suffers terribly.

Worst reaction I've seen was a few winters back in the canyon country of southeastern Utah. I was doing some remote hiking with a father and son, and we separated as I explored a new route up and over some exposed rims while they continued up a small canyon. I've always been there in winter, and never recognized those tall, skinny bare stalks down along the creek.

Next day those two poor guys just exploded with the stuff. They'd been wearing shorts and took off their shirts because it was like an oven down in those draws. They didn't know the stuff was around, didn't recognize it, and didn't worry.... Sure cut the backpacking short as we hurried out and got them to a clinic for shots. All fixed, but I'm really lucky! My wife had to cancel on the trip at the last moment! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby midger » February 19th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Like everyone else has said, Poison Oak, Poison Ivy, and Sumac know no season. It is often harder to ID it in winter when leaves are often absent and it looks like any other "stick" we'd bump into along the stream. Unfortunately it is often more likely to get you then, as you don't see and avoid as well.

I have no solution for you other than to wash up really well after you've been in a suspect area fishing as you'll probably have bumped into some during the day. I, like other here, have not been affected by it (YET) and I know I've encountered a lot of it over the years.

Wish I could say the same thing (about not being allergic) concerning the stinging nettles. Has anybody noticed that there is more of it on the Lower O now? I used to encounter a lot in the Gorge, but not so much below PVR, but it's spreading and I saw some in December.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby John Harper » February 19th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Yes, I saw a lot of stinging nettle at the LO this year. See a lot of it at Big Springs too, down by the water pipes.

I've heard it's edible if you steam it or boil it. Maybe have a "stinging nettle" cleanup and cookoff at the LO? Everyone has to include stinging nettle in their dish?

Could be combined with the trash cleanup activity and solve both issues.

John
John Harper

Postby teejay » February 19th, 2015, 5:24 pm

I had three separate exposures to poison oak in 2013 while fishing various creeks in the San Gabes in the winter -not a pleasant experience. In the winter the plant looses its leaves and its more difficult to recognize when it’s an occasional straggler plant and not in a patch. After my nasty experience with the oak, I almost don’t mind if its just nettles that I’m exposed to. Also, in my opinion, the over the counter cortisol cream is worthless in treatment.
teejay

Postby lucfish » February 19th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Probably 35 years or so ago, I got it bad camping on a ranch in San Diego county. Didn't know what it was and I kept contaminating myself all over my body including my genitals and behind. Like an idiot I tried to tough it out but after about 2 months I couldn't stand it any longer and went in and they gave me a couple of shots, it still took about 3 weeks for it to dry up and I looked like I was bruised all over. Thought I would be scarred for life but they faded after a couple of years. I never had it again but avoid it like the plague. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, well maybe my worst enemy. :comfort:
lucfish

Return to General Fly Fishing