REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New Backpacking Meals?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New Backpacking Meals?

Postby John Harper » December 16th, 2014, 4:04 pm

I got an email about these dehydrated foods, looks like an inexpensive meal for backpacking. Price is really low. I ordered several of each variety to try. Sodium content is a bit high on this one, but the other two bean recipes are only 500mg or less. Why is it so hard to find low sodium backpacking foods?

http://www.campingsurvival.com/cookquik ... -4-oz.html

John
John Harper

Re: New Backpacking Meals?

Postby Wildman » December 16th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Although I should worry about such things, I wonder if the investment in a dehydrator for around $60 and making your own low sodium would be an option. There sure are a number of sites that that cater to that and here is one I enjoy: http://www.hungryhammockhanger.com/

Go down to his Bliptv channel for about thirty recipes
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby John Harper » December 16th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Well, I do have a small smoker and do a lot of fish, and jerhkey turns out great as well. I plan on substituting a lot more jerhkey, nuts, and dried fruits for the processed stuff this year.

I checked out the first video, looks like a great idea, thanks, WM.

I had to figure out a way to respell jerhkey so the filter wouldn't block it.

John
John Harper

Postby BrownBear » December 16th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Wildman wrote:...investment in a dehydrator for around $60....

Good solution. Or you could get lucky like I did and find one NIB at a garage sale for $5. Sweet little machine.
BrownBear

Postby Gary C. » December 16th, 2014, 7:11 pm

When I first decided that I wanted to try dehydrating I remembered the craze for dehydrating back in the 70's. Food dehydrators and crazy glass cutters were all the rage at Christmas for a few years. I made a few phone calls and had two dehydrators at my house the following weekend. I later found a newer model with all the bells and whistles on a Face Book site for $20 that someone had received as a gift but never used. I gave my first two away to other backpackers. If you are thinking about getting a dehydrator but not sure you will use it get on the phone to your mother, mother in-law, someone along those lines. You just might be surprised how many people you know that decided fruit roll-ups just weren't worth the effort and are more than happy to pass one along.
Gary C.

Postby anacrime » December 16th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Hawk Vittles makes the best backpacking meals, in my opinion. They are high in calories per serving, low in sodium, and low in cost. Way better than any other commercially available dehydrated meal.

http://hawkvittles.com/

I've also tried making my own, with little success. Could never get my dehydrator dialed and felt like it was just making my food go bad faster.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby flocktothewall » December 16th, 2014, 9:34 pm

anacrime wrote:I've also tried making my own, with little success. Could never get my dehydrator dialed and felt like it was just making my food go bad faster.

Same here, did successfully dehydrate some beans to make burritos with on my last trip. Thats about as far as I have made it on what works.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby 87TT » December 16th, 2014, 11:03 pm

I've dehydrated all kinds of stuff. Haven't bought any commercial meals in years except maybe bulk freeze dried stuff to make into or add to meals. A fav is my wife's spaghetti. I've even dehydrated ketchup then ground it up in a blender and made powder. If you cook any kind of pasta then dehydrate it, you don't have to cook it, just add boiling water and let it stand. Check out http://www.trailcooking.com
87TT

Postby John Harper » December 25th, 2014, 9:24 am

Well, I cooked up a package of the Instant Chili today. Verdict: Not too bad! Actually, tasted better than I expected.

John
John Harper

Postby BrownBear » December 25th, 2014, 9:50 am

We dehydrate a lot of fish and meat, along with veggies and fruits.

Most of our favorite meals require some cooking rather than simply adding hot water. Try slicing beef into thin "*" strips, but leave out the seasoning. Add to your own array of dry veggies and seasoning and simmer. Sure the meat will be in sheets rather than chunks, but to this day some of the best beef stew I've had- at home or under the stars.

With the dried fish (also unseasoned) you can eat it like * (my Alaska blood showing) or use it with dried onions, potatoes, carrots and milk to make incredible "clam chowder," even if it's actually fish chowder.

Another great one is "cous-agna," as my wife calls it. Simmer your dry veggies to soften, add a little tomato paste, top with dried grated parmesan. Remove from heat, pour cous-cous over it and cover for about 5 minutes for the cous-cous to soften. Yeah, the "pasta" may be a little grainy, but close your eyes and if the ingredients are right, you have a credible lasagna.

Our goal in drying is to prepare basic ingredients that we can assemble to make a variety of dishes. Works.

Edit- The controls on the site didn't like the word for dried beef snack strips, but you can guess what I mean. Instead of calling it "tuggy," I'll call it "pully."
BrownBear

Postby philosofisher » December 25th, 2014, 3:17 pm

My wife bought a nice dehydrator and a nice blender about 5 years ago when she was really into raw food.

I lamented both purchases at the time, but I now use those things much more than she does! I guess she was just ahead of the curve...

I haven't dehydrated many meals for backpacking, but now that folks have posted some great links, I'll be sure to try it more often!
philosofisher

Postby Papasequoia » December 25th, 2014, 5:37 pm

BrownBear wrote:Edit- The controls on the site didn't like the word for dried beef snack strips, but you can guess what I mean. Instead of calling it "tuggy," I'll call it "pully."

You can turn that annoying word filter off in your control panel. It filters and changes hundreds of words and variations on their spelling so that delicate ears don't have to see things like the real word for the big thing that holds back the water in a reservoir. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Gary C. » December 25th, 2014, 10:43 pm

The refries would work but those Chili flavored Rice & Refried Beans should make great burritos. Just add a packet of taco sauce and some cheese.
Gary C.

Postby BrownBear » December 26th, 2014, 4:56 am

Papasequoia wrote:
BrownBear wrote:...turn that annoying word filter off in your control panel.

Thanks!

Now I can talk about * and mean it! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby flybob » December 26th, 2014, 11:18 am

John Harper wrote:Well, I cooked up a package of the Instant Chili today. Verdict: Not too bad! Actually, tasted better than I expected.

John

John, how much "WET" serving did it make? Enough for one meal up at 11,000' (need lots of cals up there)?

By the way...all your dishes are BEANS.....You just make sure and pitch your tent down wind of me this coming year at the GTW opener! And don't forget your ANTACID!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing