REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Suggestions for long handled boat net

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Suggestions for long handled boat net

Postby Ants » December 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm

I am looking for suggestions for a long handled boat net for the drift boat. The boat is finished in fine wooden heirloom materials and finishes. I am not looking for a matching heirloom net, just a good functioning appliance that will go a job. If I want the net to match, I can easily add a rope wrap so the net matches the oars.

The net does not have to be folding or extending, but a rubberized fabric certainly makes fish handling easier. The boat has a dedicated holder that will easily hold the net handle or several fly rods.

So, as I read my post, an initial thought is maybe I should just buy the rubber fabric and fill in the details from there. However, a good suggestion will save time and effort.

Thanks,

Ants
Ants

Re: Suggestions for long handled boat net

Postby fshflys » December 12th, 2014, 2:40 pm

If your talking about an heirloom net look no further than our own Greg Madrigal (Fishfreak911) of Sierra-Nets. Check him out @ http://www.sierra-nets.com/CMS-Sierra/, also check his Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sierra-N ... 5854997892
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Ants » December 12th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Greg makes beautiful works of art and I am glad there are folks that have a budget for them. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't stretch anywhere close.

Maybe, I am also a little spoiled. Both nets I have were found, but I did spend money for a rubber bag on the larger one.

Ants
Ants

Postby RichardCullip » December 12th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Ants

Check out Measure Nets. They have some larger rubber net models that are made for use in boats.

http://www.themeasurenet.com/Measure-Nets.html
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » December 12th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I like the Brodin nets and use a small one (when I actually carry a net). For your boat a wood net would look nice, but not knowing your budget, these may not be right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brodin-Ghost-Excalibur/261677615950?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3Dd3ed82fac8c049e6933028721ddccb31%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191416703764&rt=nc

You can get aluminum handles nets for $40-50 or so also if this is more in the range you are looking for. I have one of these that I use for steelhead/salmon (when I remember to bring it). It also allows the fish to be weighed at the same time with its built in scale.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » December 12th, 2014, 5:17 pm

One of Greg's nets would be nice in your boat.......

But a cheaper option would be a Fisknat, or Brodin. There are a number of net makers out there. Quick search will reveal a wide price range of boat nets. Key is, rubber basket, and big enough for all those steelhead you'll be landing.

briansII
briansII

Postby Ants » December 12th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for the support for Greg's artisan work. I do my part to support talented craftsman, but also appreciate life is graciously lived within a retirement budget.

While I appreciate the benefits of weighing or measuring fish, I really do lose count after the first fish. Maybe, that is not such a bad thing. Some finds on the internet are hard to evaluate because the products look good in the photos, but comments from reputable user give me more encouragement. I have noted a few options that are wood construction, rubber bag, and under $100 pricing.

Outfitting a drift boat is different since the gadgets that make the day work easier (and add comfort) are carried by the boat, not me. I think there may be a lot to like.

Who knows, an inspired day may find me following Richard's float tube on San Diego Bay.

Ants.
Ants

Postby BrownBear » December 12th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Ants wrote:Outfitting a drift boat is different since the gadgets that make the day work easier (and add comfort) are carried by the boat, not me. I think there may be a lot to like.

Oh, you got the boat bug, and bad! :bananadance:

When we unloaded our boat in Alaska for storage this fall, I filled the back of the pickup with gear..... Twice! :doh:
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing