REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Simms wader problems

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Simms wader problems

Postby Papasequoia » December 3rd, 2014, 10:50 pm

So, I got these waders from Simms - Headwaters. They leaked after just a few outings, badly. The material actually seemed to "crack" right where the fold in the material is. I covered that with a big patch, and fixed a couple of pinholes, but they continued to leak. I couldn't find anything spraying the insides with alcohol, so I sent them back. Simms supposedly "repaired" them under their "first time's on us" policy. They reported that it was just some pinholes. First time on the water, they leaked again. Sprayed the insides looking for leaks and couldn't find anything. But, I have a feeling that they have delaminated, or the gore-tex has gone bad, or something. Have any of you ever seen anything like this?

You all know what the insides look like after spraying the leg with alcohol, right? I don't know what this color is since I'm colorblind, but I'm guessing silver or grey or beige. When you spray it, the whole thing should NOT turn color - only the pinprick leak holes should turn dark. Take a look at this first picture, dry, before spraying.

Now, after spraying it, the only thing that should darken is where there might be a hole. Here is a picture taken after I sprayed the WHOLE LEG (not just the bottom half).

Remember, even though the bottom has turned very dark all over, the spray is also on the top half. Have you guys ever seen anything like this? I don't know why Simms didn't discover it when they got them the first time. I told them of my suspicions. Any comments? I don't know whether it is worth sending them in again or not.

Btw, I was so mad (this is the second pair of Simms I have not been happy with lately) that I got a pair of Redington Sonic Pros on sale from STP (the ones with the waterproof zipper) and after a couple of outings I am very happy with them. I might just never go back to Simms.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Simms wader problems

Postby Gary C. » December 4th, 2014, 12:36 am

It sure looks to me like something has separated or broke down. I would call direct and raise heck until someone offered to make it right.
Gary C.

Postby anacrime » December 4th, 2014, 6:50 am

Don't know enough about Goretex to comment on the change in color, but aren't Redington and Simms the same company? Or Simms owners Redington? Something like that...
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby BrownBear » December 4th, 2014, 7:11 am

I'd blame the fabric source. Simms will happily replace, but they also need to know about it so they can ding their source. They don't make the fabric, rather they buy it in huge bolts from sources contracted to meet their specs.

Raise heck if you feel better doing it, but they'll replace them even if you're polite.
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » December 4th, 2014, 8:18 am

Hmmm. Simms owns Redington but the fabric and tech is completely different. How do you like the new ones, Jon? I was gonna replace my G3 convertibles until I got to physically inspect the new convertibles, which have been dropped down to the Headwaters line. Not even remotely comparable and yet the price is more than it was for G3's 4 years ago...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby planettrout » December 4th, 2014, 8:40 am

Like BB said, there is something entirely wrong with the fabric in the legs. Send them back with a link to the photos on this post . Let Simms know that the results of their actions will be included herein...there must be some other folks who are having problems with waders made from this batch of fabric...I'll keep my eyes open if this pops up on the other boards I frequent...

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby briansII » December 4th, 2014, 8:57 am

I've had the Headwaters for a couple years or more. Zero leaks so far. The lower legs, where the dark color is, is a different composite/laminate of materials. Seems to me, one of those materials is not performing as it should.

Like others said, contact Simms, and give them another chance to make it right. I've heard a lot more positive stories about Simms customer service, than negative.

Farbank Enterprise owns the Redington brand, along with Sage and Rio. I _think_ Simms is still a privately owned company......but can't swear on it.

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » December 4th, 2014, 9:22 am

I agree with what others have said, I don’t think your waders should look like that when treated with alcohol. Those look like they should be replaced to me. Have them up-grade to a better wader or give you your money back!
I recently had my Simms waders repaired; mine are the old G3 that are 10 years old. They replaced the booties, resealed the seams and other holes and replaced the shoulder straps. They look almost like new, I’ll let you know how they work this weekend.
Don’t send them a photo of you when you’re wearing a tin lined hat along with the waders? I was told that would void your warranty. ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fivefish » December 4th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Note from Jim: There is a break in the continuity of this thread because I tossed someone off the forum. He's been around for a few years on this and other forums. The remark that fivefish made was in reference to the sillness that I took out. Carry on.

That's odd. With that said, I love my Redington Sonic Pro waders and would suggest them to others. Glad you like them too.
fivefish

Postby Papasequoia » December 4th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone, I will try again. However, when I sent them in the first time I told them about this delamination problem and they ignored it.
As for the Redingtons, they worked great again today on the UO and LO, along with a new pair of Korkers. Man, it is nice to be dry. Mike thinks Redington is owned by Sage also, Brian. I don't know. I do know that I like that waterproof zipper so I can pee without removing all my gear! I think I'll have a second beer at lunch tomorrow to celebrate. :D Meeting up with Curtis for dinner shortly - unfortunately we won't be around to hang out with all of you coming on Saturday as we will be heading back then.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fly addict » December 4th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Papasequoia wrote:. :D - unfortunately we won't be around to hang out with all of you coming on Saturday as we will be heading back then.

Booo... :booty:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fivefish » December 5th, 2014, 1:26 pm

fivefish wrote:Note from Jim: There is a break in the continuity because I tossed someone off the forum. He's been around for a few years on this and other forums. The remark that fivefish made was in reference to the sillness that I took out. Carry on.

That's odd. With that said, I love my Redington Sonic Pro waders and would suggest them to others. Glad you like them too.

Not sure what you are saying, but ok? :?:

I was implying that the way those waders were leaking is odd. I didn't see anything else to comment on. i must have missed it after you did your thing. I've never seen the whole material leak instead of pinholes, that's what was odd.
fivefish

Postby BradW » December 7th, 2014, 10:07 am

That's interesting. I have a very similar problem with my g3's. Haven't sent them back yet, but plan to. My problem has been the upper part of the waders, but covers a wide area. I'll let you know what they say.
Brad
BradW

Return to General Fly Fishing