REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Getting Older isn't all bad...........

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Getting Older isn't all bad...........

Postby midger » September 17th, 2014, 5:34 pm

.....As I prepare for a steelheading trip to the Klamath, I'm readying reels and rods, flies, proper lines, etc. You know you're going to forget something, and where we're at, there are no places to run to a flyshop to pick up anything up so you best remember what you need to take.

Well, I made up a switch rod last spring that I really like and it has already proven itself on the Kings in Idaho so it should easily handle the smaller adult steelhead we expect this October. I love the way that thing roll casts and had already set up one reel with a Rio Switch line, but wanted another reel as a backup so have been trolling ebay looking for a Galvan T8. I had a nagging thought though that I already had a reel that would work, but after going through my reel areas (I really need to get organized and have ONE area I keep those things in) I came up with a blank. Lots of smaller 6 weight and below reels, but nothing large enough for the backing and a 450-500 grain line.

Still, my memory told me there should be one of these larger rascals, so before I dropped the hammer on a T8 I took one last deep look in my flyfishing room going through boxes of "stuff". Lo and behold, I came across an Abel 3N already loaded with a suitable line :bananadance: . Just saved myself some coin, some time, and it's like Christmas for me. I've not used the reel, but got a great buy on it, threw it in a box, and pretty much forgot about it. Still, that nagging memory told me.............. :doh:

Moral: Don't get old!

Anybody else experience this type of incident?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Getting Older isn't all bad...........

Postby NorcalBob » September 17th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Happens to me ALL the time! Sometimes it's just easier for me to go out and buy something instead of trying to look for it! :roll:
NorcalBob

Postby Papasequoia » September 17th, 2014, 6:20 pm

No, I know exactly where all five of my reels are. :twisted:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Doug720 » September 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm

What were we talking about...
Doug720

Postby briansII » September 17th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Reels and tying stuff seem to go missing the most. I'm an equal opportunity kind of knucklehead, and have lost rods, waders, and just about anything else you can think of. Most show back up, but some stuff is never to be seen again. A few months ago I lost a trolling motor.

Ever forget where you parked your car. That's a weird kind of panic-y feeling. :oo:

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » September 17th, 2014, 9:52 pm

midger wrote:Anybody else experience this type of incident?

I carefully prepared and packed, then made the hour's drive from home to Kodiak city to teach a day-long fly fishing class.

Got to the river and figured out I'd only forgotten one thing.... My wading boots.

Dashed to the store and bought another pair, starting the class only 15 minutes late.

Everyone needs a spare pair of Simms wading boots, right? :doh:
BrownBear

Postby midger » September 18th, 2014, 5:11 am

briansII wrote:
Ever forget where you parked your car. That's a weird kind of panic-y feeling. :oo:

briansII

Unfortunately I've done that a number of times. I now park in about the same place when I go to Costcos, Wincos, Target, REI, etc---I've always been one to park far away from the door and in more remote parts of the lots in hopes my doors won't get dinged as badly by those who insist on parking as near as they can and who will wait for several minutes so they can get 3 cars closer to the store's doors. Generally I can find a spot further out which makes it easier to find my vehicle.
I did start to get into another same colored vehicle at Sierra Trading Post in Meridian this summer though--what made it more embarrassing was that the owner and her daughter were behind me and I had to explain to them what I was doing--my car was the same color and parked about 6-7 vehicles right of theirs......... :doh:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby midger » September 18th, 2014, 5:12 am

BrownBear wrote:
midger wrote:Anybody else experience this type of incident?

I carefully prepared and packed, then made the hour's drive from home to Kodiak city to teach a day-long fly fishing class.

Got to the river and figured out I'd only forgotten one thing.... My wading boots.

Dashed to the store and bought another pair, starting the class only 15 minutes late.

Everyone needs a spare pair of Simms wading boots, right? :doh:

You can never have too many pairs of wading boots--just remember to take at least one pair with you to the river. ;)
midger

Postby midger » September 18th, 2014, 6:08 am

Papasequoia wrote:No, I know exactly where all five of my reels are. :twisted:

See, there lies the problem. I have my 5 reels in 5 different hiding spots, and I can't remember where those spots are or if they're in California or Idaho. :roll:
midger

Postby fshflys » September 18th, 2014, 6:56 am

[/quote]
I did start to get into another same colored vehicle at Sierra Trading Post in Meridian this summer though......... :doh:[/quote]

This happened to me a month ago, couldn't figure out why my code wouldn't open the door, thought I'd fat fingered it. Mine was accross the aisle.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby BrownBear » September 18th, 2014, 7:29 am

midger wrote:...or if they're in California or Idaho. :roll:

We're having the same issues with gear in Alaska and California. The solution appears to be duplicate gear, but man....

Next trick is to make sure I have the correct delivery address clicked when I order stuff online. Got a couple of Alaska packages waiting in Bakersfield right now. :roll:
BrownBear

Postby midger » September 18th, 2014, 7:42 am

BrownBear wrote:
midger wrote:...or if they're in California or Idaho. :roll:

We're having the same issues with gear in Alaska and California. The solution appears to be duplicate gear, but man....

Next trick is to make sure I have the correct delivery address clicked when I order stuff online. Got a couple of Alaska packages waiting in Bakersfield right now. :roll:

Don't feel bad. I ordered a 10 reel orange (so I can see/find it more easily) caddy. Unfortunately it is sitting in Idaho and I'm in SoCal now. Guess I'll have to pick it up in November.
midger

Postby Dry Fly Rie » September 18th, 2014, 9:09 am

briansII wrote:Ever forget where you parked your car. That's a weird kind of panic-y feeling. :oo:

briansII

At the school that I work at, there's another staff member that drives the same 2002 4Runner that I have. The two cars look practically identical, and on several occasions, I've put my key in the wrong door to try and open it (my clicker is broken). There was even once where the other guy didn't lock his car, and I actually got in and tried to start the engine. But I realized that the seat didn't feel right, and that his coffee cup was in the holder (I don't drink coffee), so I knew I was in the wrong car. :doh:

It happens way more frequently than I would have thought.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Papasequoia » September 18th, 2014, 10:39 am

:LIAR: :LIAR:
midger wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:No, I know exactly where all five of my reels are. :twisted:

See, there lies the problem. I have my 5 reels in 5 different hiding spots, and I can't remember where those spots are or if they're in California or Idaho. :roll:

Uh huh. Try adding a zero (or two!) to that five. Admit it, when you (and Brian) and a few others TBN introduce yourselves you should say, Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a gear *. :lol: old age ain't got nothing to do with it!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » September 18th, 2014, 11:11 am

Ever try float tubing without fins? :doh:

Fortunately for me, I had taken Mark along.....we ended up with one fin each!
You would surprised at how well you can move around with one fin!

In any event....I have resorted to check lists....on many fronts!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing