REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

OMG! They shut down my LAKE!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

OMG! They shut down my LAKE!

Postby flybob » September 4th, 2014, 11:59 am

How much more can I take of this!

My one salvation in all this lack of water mess!

I was planning my annual "Popper Fishing Fest" at my local lake, where I usually do quite well this time of year.
Went to the website to check for any "Specials" as I am sort of a tight wad, and I see this Banner!

WOW.....now what! Guess I will just go to work on that special day.

So, along these lines, here are my thoughts on this:

I have a theory, this lake has several large aerators in it, supposedly to keep the water oxygenated.
Well, all that air comes from large air compressors, which in fact heat up the air, which in turn is cooled by the water, or heating up the water, which ever way you want to look at it.
Comments were made that a week ago the water temps were well into the high 80's, and fish are dying off!
In my opinion, this should not be the case as the lake is almost 30 ft deep, and is 4 miles from the coast! It should never get above 80 degrees!
Could this extra induced heat be the cause of the Algae Bloom?

Comments from those who know more about this than me?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: OMG! They shut down my LAKE!

Postby briansII » September 4th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Not having seen the size or type of aerator pumps, it's hard to imagine how big, or how much heat they would produce. Just on the scale I have experience in(mid sized shop air compressors), I haven't noticed any heated air produced. The actual pumps produce quite a bit of heat, but that doesn't seem to transfer to the air that is produced. Typically a bloom needs more than warm water temps(i've seen blooms with cool to cold water temps). Usually a higher than normal "nutrient" will cause algae growth.

Lake temps, for our small foothill lakes will see upper 80s by midday. Air temps get down to the upper 50s at night, but rise to the 90s + during the day. Does Laguna Nigel see 90s during the day? Night time lows? If it doesn't cool down enough at night, the water temps stay relatively high.

I've seen several algae blooms. Some minor, and others that were thick as cottage cheese. It caused a trout kill on one lake I fished, but it didn't totally wipe them out. A couple lakes I fish have blooms just about every year, and the bass seem to handle it ok.

Guess what I'm saying is, as long as something extraordinary doesn't happen, the bass should be ok. Don't know about other fish in the lake.

briansII
briansII

Postby flyster » September 6th, 2014, 10:14 am

I feel your pain, Bob. What are you going to do without...... Maybe a little "salt" is in your future????
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby RichardCullip » September 6th, 2014, 1:40 pm

flyster wrote:I feel your pain, Bob. What are you going to do without...... Maybe a little "salt" is in your future????

Cue up the music from Jaws. It's time to get Bob desensitized to the imaginary dangers lurking in our local salt water bay.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Dry Fly Rie » September 6th, 2014, 8:59 pm

RichardCullip wrote:
flyster wrote:I feel your pain, Bob. What are you going to do without...... Maybe a little "salt" is in your future????

Cue up the music from Jaws. It's time to get Bob desensitized to the imaginary dangers lurking in our local salt water bay.

Agreed!!!!

Come on, Bob, give it a shot. You can't beat a day on the big bay with Richard as your guide. You'll learn a ton, catch some hard-pulling fish, and find yourself thirsting to return many more times....well, that is if the sharks don't get you on your maiden voyage ;)
Dry Fly Rie

Postby tenandtwo » September 7th, 2014, 8:49 am

Come on Bob... all the cool kids are doing it. Just try it... ;)
tenandtwo

Postby rkfiske » September 7th, 2014, 10:00 am

Yes! Come to the salt Bob! You can enjoy super unhealthy chili burgers with me, Mark and Bill afterwards! :bananadance:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby FlyinFish » September 8th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Bob, I think I know what the root of your reluctance might be, but rest assured - not all salt fish are big, fat bruisers and there are tons of FlyBob sized perch out there for you :mrgreen:

Also, the view on your backcast is usually much better than anywhere else.
FlyinFish

Return to General Fly Fishing