REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Catarafts

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Catarafts

Postby Benny » August 12th, 2014, 3:23 pm

After reading Ben's float report on the Colorado. I was reminded of another item I have been eyeing for some time now. It's a nice addition to anyone thinking of floating rivers and camping at the same time. The prices are up there but I do believe they are worth every penny when used often enough. Steelheader what do you river runners think about these water crafts?

P.S. This buying stuff for flyfishing is never ending :doh:
Benny

Re: Catarafts

Postby NorcalBob » August 12th, 2014, 6:35 pm

I have a 13' cat. Got it due to it's safety in white water, very stable, (mine's rated for Class V, not that I do that stuff any longer!). It's great for two people, but a bit too big for only one. One thing about hard framed cats like you're looking at is to consider set up time and packability. Mine takes about 20-30 minutes to assemble if the frame is completely broken down. If the frame does not break down (my buddy bought one like that), storage space and transport space may be an issue. My buddy hardly uses his due to those issues. Too be honest, I rarely use mine any longer as I much prefer my frameless flotables due to ease of assembly/transport and with Chris at University I don't need the extra capacity of the 13'.
NorcalBob

Postby BrownBear » August 12th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Lots of them in use in certain areas here in Alaska, and I suspect even more in Montana. Dandy, but bulky and bothersome as noted. The dedicated users I know have all put their onto trailers. The most dedicated also have a mount on the front of their trailers for a small motorcyle or even a Moped. The drop them at their haul out, chain them to a tree, then use them for their own shuttles. Neat, but along with the trailers an added expense to get around the packing issues.
BrownBear

Postby Benny » August 12th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Very good point on the frame. A frame that comes apart is not bad at all. I think it would be way easier to transport and store away when not in use. I have a pontoon that I put together when I feel like using it. I do tend to use the float tube more just because it's easier to carry to and from the water. The cataraft would definitely be for floating big rivers and carrying camp gear. I see it as another piece of equipment that can be used for more flyfishing adventures.
Benny

Postby AZWanderings » August 13th, 2014, 5:25 am

For what it's worth Benny, I have a 9' pontoon and was pretty happy with it on the Colorado, but my buddy had the 10' 6 pontoons from Dave Scadden and there was a bunch of pontoon envy while floating down camp. Instead of one cargo frame, he had two. So not only did he have more room for gear, but his boat was a bit more stable with the longer pontoons, and it tracks better too. The real kicker is that his pontoons are bladderless and come with a 15 year warranty (I think). The set up time on it was comparable to the 9' pontoon.

The 10' 6 pontoons

vs.

9' pontoons

The frames for both boats are exactly the same (except for the extra cargo rack). God forbid any should happen to my bladders or pontoons, I'd by the 10'6 pontoons in a heartbeat.

Just another option for river fishing/camping. Something to think about
AZWanderings

Postby briansII » August 13th, 2014, 8:34 am

Benny wrote:P.S. This buying stuff for flyfishing is never ending :doh:

Just remain strong. It's worked wonders for me. :|

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of a cataraft. Mostly what Bob said. I own a Scadden Skykomish(older, bladder model). You can have it fully assembled in the back of your full sized truck, or on a Thule rack on top of your camper shell. This is huge when you want to get on the water fast.

....I miss that old truck. :cry:

Another really big advantage to a low profile pontoon is your ability to steer with your feet/fins. This gives you hands free to position your toon and fish. I'm guessing that would be very handy on a trip like Ben posted about.

briansII
briansII

Postby AZWanderings » August 13th, 2014, 9:03 am

That's what I'm talking about. Now, I'll be spending the rest of the day talking myself out of buying those 10' 6 pontoons.

Ben
AZWanderings

Postby Benny » August 13th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Question with regards to the solid frame vs a break down frame. Are there any added benefits to a solid frame other than it's always ready to just be strapped down to the tubes? Plus I noticed that the breakdown frames are primarily made of aluminum tubing which seems would be lighter. Is there a benefit from a steel frame vs an aluminum frame? Now I'm leaning towards the break down frame because of easier storage when not in use, in addition to that The aluminum frame seems like it would be lighter.

Building my own cataraft would be an option as well. I see that with the break down frames you can sort of make the frame to ones likings. This could be a huge benefit when I'd want to pack lots of gear for multi day floats. There are quite a few options to go with from what I'm seeing online. It's never ending.....
Benny

Postby NorcalBob » August 13th, 2014, 12:11 pm

You can get a solid frame in either aluminum or steel. My buddy went with AL due to its much lower weight. But AL is also more expensive! My breakdown is also AL. I don't think I'd go with steel due to weight. Solid frames are stronger, don't flex as much (very important in pucker factor whitewater!)(but a non-issue for me since I don't do that any longer) and a little bit lighter (unless you go with steel!).
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » August 13th, 2014, 12:30 pm

....and if you decide to go with a cataraft, browse the classifieds. You might find a fully rigged, dream boat for 1/2 the price you'll spend outfitting your own. I occasionally see them in fly fishing classifieds, but I'm guessing whitewater forums you'll see plenty.

briansII
briansII

Postby Richard W T » August 13th, 2014, 3:52 pm

I picked up a used 9' Water Skeeter on Graigslist for a $100 and us it a top when fishing for steelhead in southern Oregon. One of my more rational (easy to justify) fishing purchases in quite some time.
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Postby Benny » March 16th, 2015, 10:47 am

I'm still looking and researching... That said does anyone know what the difference is between these two pontoons?
Skykomish Sunrise ST $999.99 I know it has a standing platform and a lean bar with a wider frame at 58". Why are is there a 15 year warranty on these?

Skykomish Sunrise ST Element $749.00 No standing platform or lean bar, frame is 54" wide. Both have same sized tubes at 10'6" Length x 16" Diameter. Why only a 1 year warranty on this one?

That's a huge difference in the warranty 15 years vs 1 year. The tubes look to be the same on both or am I missing something else? Is this frame warranty perhaps or are the tubes different?
Benny

Postby briansII » March 16th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Benny wrote:I'm still looking and researching... That said does anyone know what the difference is between these two pontoons?
Skykomish Sunrise ST $999.99 I know it has a standing platform and a lean bar with a wider frame at 58". Why are is there a 15 year warranty on these?

Skykomish Sunrise ST Element $749.00 No standing platform or lean bar, frame is 54" wide. Both have same sized tubes at 10'6" Length x 16" Diameter. Why only a 1 year warranty on this one?

That's a huge difference in the warranty 15 years vs 1 year. The tubes look to be the same on both or am I missing something else? Is this frame warranty perhaps or are the tubes different?

I'm guessing the pontoons are made differently. The 15 year warranty probably reflects Dave's latest improvements to materials and construction. I would just call them and ask. It's been a while since i've talked to them, but they were always helpful. BTW, that's a good price. Way back when, I paid roughly that for mine at a fly fishing show special. I got some extras thrown in on the deal because we bought two.

I've had my Skykomish for several years, and not once have I installed the standing platform and lean bar. It's not that I don't like the feature. I don't like the extra hassle and weight of it.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » March 16th, 2015, 3:54 pm

<<<I've had my Skykomish for several years, and not once have I installed the standing platform and lean bar. It's not that I don't like the feature. I don't like the extra hassle and weight of it.>>>
Ditto what Brian said. Plus it makes it hard to get in/out of the 'toon fast. The only time I use the standing platform is when I set mine up in two person mode and the front guy (who doesn't row) gets to use it.
NorcalBob

Postby Benny » March 17th, 2015, 8:52 am

This is another option I have been looking into as well. Building the cataraft frame to my own specs via rowframe. Row frame was mentioned on several whitewater rafting forums. Built the same as nrs frames but at a fraction of the cost.

For the bladders or pontoons, I have found out that I could purchase individual or a pair of bladders from Outcast directly. This is only over the phone, Outcast does not sell them via the web for whatever reasons. The Outcast PAC 1200 will be $215.00 per tube or $430.00 for the pair. I think this is a super great deal, considering these tubes are made by Aire and carry a 10 year warranty. The tubes would be 13' in length and have a 20" diameter. Bomber tubes on a custom cat frame for under $500 bucks. Come on...

I know I still need the oars, tie down straps and other miscellaneous items, but this will be built to the exact way that I want the cataraft. I want this to do muti-day float trips. I think this will work best to carry a decent amount of gear comfortably.

What do you guys think? Yea or nay?
Benny

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing