REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

6 year old Fly line....... leaders/tippets

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

6 year old Fly line....... leaders/tippets

Postby BigD » August 10th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a question if I may....

I have a 5wt set up from 2007..... my question is... are my tippets and leaders still good? they have been in my vest in my bedroom closet for the past 4-5 years. Also my SA GPX line has been on my reel for the same time in the garage in the pouch in a duffle bag....

Do you think my leaders and tippets are still good?

I stripped all of the line off of the reel down to the backing... gave the backing a tug and it was intact. Used Palmolive and water in a LARGE tub to rinse for cleaning and then dry... I took about 5 feet off of the reel and stripped it into the tub to make sure it floated... only the piece that was at the end going from the water to the reel sank a bit. Not sure if it was because of the angle or what...

Is there another way to verify that the line is still good? I have a trip with a buddy this Saturday so I want to be prepared... we will be nymphing this particular river....

Thank you for your time and any help will be appreciated.
BigD

Re: 6 year old Fly line....... leaders/tippets

Postby midger » August 11th, 2014, 3:23 am

Your line should be fine and if you're nymphing, floating isn't all that critical anyway. Inspect your line, especially the first 20-30 feet. If there are no cracks, it is smooth and glides easily, use the line. You probably don't have that many days on it, do you?

As far as your tippet goes, I have some Maxima that is pushing 30 years old that I still use when building leaders and I haven't had any problems. Is it weaker now than it was back then? Probably but I can't tell any appreciable difference. It really depends on how your materials were stored. Leaders and tippets really weaken if left in a hot car or sun for any length of time. However, if they're kept in a dark closet or drawer inside your house--basically a climate-controlled environment--they should be fine.

Fly shops/manufacturers would have you replace tippet spools every year, but mono and fluorocarbon leadr material doesn't break down that quickly.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and good luck on the water.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » August 11th, 2014, 5:29 am

Unless your are fishing the salt, or are going on a 'once in a lifetime' trip, I wouldn't worry.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BigD » August 11th, 2014, 5:46 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
BigD

Postby BrownBear » August 11th, 2014, 8:00 am

I dump my tippets annually and start fresh. Leader butts might go a couple of years if I'm being lazy (I make my own leaders), but generally I tie fresh leaders before starting each year.

Good quality fly line such as yours should last for decades if cared for and not abused. I own and use some of the peach Cortland 444's I bought in the late 1960's. They're still going strong, and I've had no reason to replace them.

Contrast that with a Rio Outbound Short I bought last year and trashed in under a month. Of course, I was standing on a lake shore and dropping the running line on the ground. Needed long casts, so there was a lot of it. I don't think I'm stretching the story saying my last cast with that line was over 200'.... When the running line caught on a piece of broken glass and cut cleanly. That shiny new head just kept going and going and going.... :bananadance:

Unless you experience some similar broken glass experience, keep on using your fly line.
BrownBear

Postby Pete » August 12th, 2014, 4:45 am

Stored in your vest, in the closet? Nice climate controlled area? I would say good to go for this trip ;) You might want to think about replacing some spools eventually. Especially your final tippet to fly spools. That is your deciding factor in 99% of your line breaking situations. I don't believe I have ever broken my leader anywhere else but the final tippet. But then again I have never cut a line on broken glass like somebody else who shall remain nameless :doh:

Welcome aboard,
Pete
Pete

Postby BrownBear » August 12th, 2014, 5:26 am

Pete wrote:But then again I have never cut a line on broken glass like somebody else who shall remain nameless

Funny enough, that wasn't my longest cast of all time.

Back in the day (as in the late 1960's and early 70's) we used a lot of lead core shooting heads for steelhead and salmon on big rivers. At the same time, chains like tire chains on felt soles were the prescription for staying upright in the big flows.

All was well and good while you were wading, but move ashore and let any of your shooting line drop onto the rocks, and your casts could get REALLY long. Picture a 500 grain head about 20' long launched with all your strength from a 10-weight! With witnesses (unfortunately) I once sent a head all the way across the Klamath and into the trees beyond! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby Jason » August 12th, 2014, 10:17 am

midger wrote:Fly shops/manufacturers would have you replace tippet spools every year.........

I've heard this so much, but I've never replaced mine because:

1.) I'm lazy
2.) I tend to catch small fish
3.) I was skeptical anyways.

Happy to see that a number of people are in agreement that it doesn't degrade that quickly. That being said....... if I ever head out for big fish or a bucket list trip I'll definitely pick up a few fresh spools.
Jason

Postby BrownBear » August 12th, 2014, 10:42 am

I spend more on gasoline for a single fishing trip than the cost of replacing all my 3x, 4x, 5x and 6x tippet spools each year.

It's a bargain compared to the chance of lost fish and frustration if a spool goes bad.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » August 12th, 2014, 12:36 pm

BrownBear wrote:I spend more on gasoline for a single fishing trip than the cost of replacing all my 3x, 4x, 5x and 6x tippet spools each year.

It's a bargain compared to the chance of lost fish and frustration if a spool goes bad.

We are kinda funny that way, aren't we. :doh: :P

Personally, I use old line, and tapered leaders when I trout fish. I'm still working my way through tapered leaders I bought 5-6 years ago. Any fish that I care about landing, I make sure my tackle is performing properly. That means new line, leaders, and quality hooks.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing