REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

12 Ounces

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

12 Ounces

Postby flocktothewall » August 6th, 2014, 3:07 pm

I have my backpacking Fly Fishing Rig ready to go, weighing in at a whopping 12.3 Ounces!

TFO 7'9" 3WT rod
Orvis BBS 1 Reel
Foam Fly box (1 OZ Stuffed with flies!)
3 - 9' leaders
1 - Spool of 5x tippet
1 - Bottle of floatant
Rod stuffed in fluorescent light tube with sock (rod sock only weighs 1 oz amazingly)
1 - case of Dunsmore split shot

Things I have decided to leave behind:
Forceps & nippers - I have always carried my leatherman, which has scissors and pliers, barbs are pre-pinched anyways.

Line straightener, I'll go old school and use my hands.

Net: see trip report on Sierra waters, If I can get by on Crowley without a net (not recommended though) I can get by up in high country.

We head out on Monday 8-11, starting at Cottonwood Lakes, and working our way to Mt. Whitney by Friday.

I couldn't believe when I weighed everything, it only came to 12 ounces.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Re: 12 Ounces

Postby teejay » August 6th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Very good. That means that you can pack more comfort food.
My reel alone weighs 5.6 ounces -dang!
teejay

Postby Waterborne » August 6th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Good selection of essentials. I like your minimalist attitude. Although personally, I wouldn't know what to do with the tag end of my knots without nippers.
Waterborne

Postby flocktothewall » August 6th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Waterborne wrote:Good selection of essentials. I like your minimalist attitude. Although personally, I wouldn't know what to do with the tag end of my knots without nippers.

That was my biggest question, but the scissors on my leatherman are similar to those used for fly tying, so I can get a very close cut on them.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby WanderingBlues » August 7th, 2014, 5:20 am

Have a good time & be wary of dark clouds.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Richard W T » August 7th, 2014, 2:26 pm

wow my pipe and tobacco kit weights more than your fishing set up! Not to mention the flask. These are all considered essentials.
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Postby Jimbo Roberts » August 8th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Sounds like you're ready.
Post your impressions when you get back.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby 87TT » August 8th, 2014, 9:08 pm

How much does the leatherman weigh? Never carried one. I like my lanyard around my neck with forceps on a zinger and nippers and flotant. I also use the BBS reel but with a 4 pc 9" 5wt. The 3wt is fine for creeks but I like a bit more on the lakes(wind). No tube just a sock. Never broke a rod yet. The rod is way stronger than a flourescent light tube. They're not meant to keep a tube from breaking, only to keep the glass and chemical contained. I like a sink tip that can be added on the end of the line. Heavy line or streamers don't work for me with a 3wt. But everyone has different priorities. I'm always looking for ways to trim weight but I figure I have to draw the line somewhere. :bananadance: I just put more of the heavy stuff in the kids pack.
87TT

Return to General Fly Fishing