REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly fishing from a kayak: any tips?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly fishing from a kayak: any tips?

Postby TroutGrylls » July 19th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Hello!

Though I've had an account for awhile, I haven't been on this site in years. I got into fly fishing right before college and am just now picking it up again as my schooling is winding down. I have however continued to fish during college as I have most of my life, but mostly by kayak in saltwater. I have tried fly fishing from a kayak once and let's just say it didn't go too well. I am aware most use float tubes, but given that I already own a fishing kayak and am on a budget, I want to try to make it work.

So, does anyone have any tips on fly fishing from a kayak in freshwater? It could be about anything, from technique to what to wear to how to rig the 'yak! It is much appreciated

Thank you!
TroutGrylls

Re: Fly fishing from a kayak: any tips?

Postby WanderingBlues » July 20th, 2014, 7:55 am

There's always the 'slow troll' of a streamer. If you don't have Mirage drive and have to paddle, set up your rod holder in a trolling position.

There's also attachments such as stand up kits and side stabilizers. Here's a few links...

http://www.hobiecat.com/accessories/sidekick-ama-kit/

http://www.hobiecat.com/accessories/h-bar/
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BrownBear » July 20th, 2014, 10:18 am

The best advice I know of is to go out in your yard, sit down on the lawn, and practice casting while sitting. Keep the line off the lawn behind you, and figure out how to handle the loops and coils of line as you retrieve between casts. This is great for any kind of fishing where you'll be sitting- not just kayaks, but also float tubes, pontoon boats, canoes and john boats or prams. Easy to figure out on your lawn, but lots tougher on the water with waves, and especially fish to distract you!
BrownBear

Postby Benny » July 20th, 2014, 11:38 am

I've had several kayaks over the last ten years. Yes you can flyfish from kayaks. The cleaner your deck the better, fly line will get caught on anything that is protruding. The toughest part of fly fishing off a kayak is when it's windy and you're trying to stay in a certain area. Paddling and casting don't go together well... It can be lots of fun. On the kayak you can cover lots of water really quick and get in real tight to the kelp where calico bass live.

Flyfishing on lakes would likely be the same on the kayak, minus the surf or waves. You could cover lots of water in short periods of time. You will have fun. If the wind comes up, you could use it to your advantage by dropping the line in the water and do a slow troll sort of drift, and just keep repeating if you hook up. Have fun and wear your pfd.
Benny

Postby k9mark » July 20th, 2014, 12:28 pm

"So, does anyone have any tips on fly fishing from a kayak in freshwater? It could be about anything, from technique to what to wear to how to rig the 'yak! It is much appreciated"

Yes, just give me your kayak.... ;) :P
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby Benny » July 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Oh yeah sinking line would help :doh:
Benny

Postby Bernard » July 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Your post reminds me that I'm overdue to return to one! Note that using the kayak to "get there" can be in and of itself very valuable. Although I have limited experience with kayaks and have never been able to use one that was really optimal for angling some of my best memories remain having used them to get to difficult fishing spots. You can carry them down and launch from all sorts of spots where normal boats won't work. Stepping out from your yak on a shallow shelf in the middle of a lake, on a sand bar in a remote stretch of a lazy river or a flat in an estuary with your kayak safely moored to something (an island, your leg?) can be great fun. A set of wheels (a sort of dolly) can add to your range of options. If you are at a body of water where the boat launch has certain hours, you can circumvent those with your own pre-dawn launch. I've done that and it is magical; striking out in the dim light across a lake. *Hope that I didn't derail the thread and stray too far from your original question!
B.
Bernard

Postby Ants » July 20th, 2014, 3:17 pm

One of your challenges will be to select which area you want to fish and then determine where the wind and current will move the kayak. Your time to cast and mend the line will be interrupted by paddle efforts. If you find a desirable area to cast, your time after the cast may be more productive if you hold the line position by paddling I stead of line mending.

There is a constant trade off between fly position and kayak position. For example, if the best casting comes from a position that will drift you toward the fly, then mend to keep up with your drift until you are close enough to spook the fish.

However, you may be able to position yourself outside of weeds or lily pads that are choice holding areas. In that case, a short time in a good position may be all you need to attract the fish.

Ants
Ants

Postby BrownBear » July 20th, 2014, 4:11 pm

My experience in all of them points to the single most useful piece of gear for fly fishing:

A small anchor.

We rig ours with a small buoy at the top end of the rope along with a snap clip which allows us to "tie" off at a variety of locations on the boat, changing our orientation to the wind to suit the circumstance. The point of the buoy and snap is to be able to disconnect instantly to chase bigger fish, then return to zackly the same spot to resume fishing.

Within limits, the best "anchor" is also the easiest to keep on your boat at all times- Just get a mesh stuff sack with the usual draw string. Add rocks appropriate for the boat and the wind, and you're ready to go. When you're through fishing, stuff the rope/buoy/clip rig into the stuff sack and stow it.

No paddling. No excessive drifting. No need to both cast and paddle. Get in your spot, drop the anchor and fish.
BrownBear

Postby TroutGrylls » July 20th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Thank you for the tips, everybody! I am especially intrigued by the anchor suggestion, the mesh sack is a great idea that I think I will definitely try and rig up! I inherited this kayak and have spent a solid amount of time using it fishing harbors, but as I said above only once for fly fishing without much success.

The trolling idea also suggested seems ideal for those days where it is hard to stay in one place and cast. I'll have to look into that as well.

Also, on a side note, is there is post somewhere that explains all of the acronyms used on this website? I am trying to learn all I can but I can't figure out what some of the abbreviations mean. For example, I know that Size 12-14 PA is some type of fly in a particular size range, but what does PA mean?
TroutGrylls

Postby Benny » July 20th, 2014, 11:41 pm

TroutGrylls wrote:Also, on a side note, is there is post somewhere that explains all of the acronyms used on this website? I am trying to learn all I can but I can't figure out what some of the abbreviations mean. For example, I know that Size 12-14 PA is some type of fly in a particular size range, but what does PA mean?

PA = Parachute Adams
EHC = Elk hair caddis
BH = Bead head
BHPTN = Bead head pheasant tail nymph
PT = pheasant tail

Just to name a few, hope this helps
Benny

Postby TroutGrylls » July 21st, 2014, 4:42 am

Benny wrote:PA = Parachute Adams
EHC = Elk hair caddis
BH = Bead head
BHPTN = Bead head pheasant tail nymph
PT = pheasant tail

Just to name a few, hope this helps

Thank you, this helps quite a bit!
TroutGrylls

Postby fshflys » July 21st, 2014, 6:47 am

BH FB PT - Bead Head Flash Back Pheasant Tail - That's my liscense Plate
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby BrownBear » July 21st, 2014, 7:04 am

Now you're rolling!

Dunno your boat and where/if you can mount one, but these little gems are priceless for fly rodders needing two hands. We mount them on pontoon boats, canoes and kayaks if at all possible. They're great for trolling, but also as a secure spot for your rod even if you only need two hands briefly.

BTW-

Here's an anchoring "trick" you'll really like:

Tie in a bow line long enough to extend from the bow to about the back of the * and put a loop in it. Now you have an easy way to anchor from the bow when you want. Just clip the anchor line/buoy into the loop and let it go. When you want to raise the anchor or get free from it, just paddle forward and grab the buoy, then unclip. When not in use it doesn't hurt anything to allow the bow line simply to stream free, but with wind and currents it's usually best to secure it within easy reach in front of the *. It's our favorite anchoring stunt for canoes, too.

Edit- I see that the security software for the site doesn't like the standard spelling for the hole you sit in with kayaks. The phonetic spelling is kkokkpit. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby Jason » July 21st, 2014, 8:22 am

fshflys wrote:BH FB PT - Bead Head Flash Back Pheasant Tail - That's my liscense Plate

Nice!
Jason

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing