REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The End

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The End

Postby lucfish » June 13th, 2014, 4:33 pm

One too many dunks and to close of a call too many times. I don't risk it anymore with or without a staff and cleats. If I'm not sure, I don't go.
lucfish

Postby Pete » June 16th, 2014, 5:15 am

Glad I'm not the only one. Been carrying a staff for several years and have always worn a wading belt. Fell once on a small stream and couldn't get my feet under me for about 50 yards. Beat my backside to pieces and fill the waders with ice cold runoff. I guess its a 50+ thing.

Shoot, fishing the surf on the central coast has been an adventure at times. We have tons of rips and they make for quite the adventure during the winter conditions. Even in thigh deep water. Its good to make friends with the surfers ;) . You never know when you might float by them. You know its rough when Copperdropper hangs on to Lacey's waders to keep her from floating off.

Hey, if we don't continue to push it a bit, we might as well take up lake fishing with worms. But, as Harry Callahan said said " A man's got to know his limitations" (Magnum Force)
Pete

Postby briansII » June 16th, 2014, 8:42 am

Pete wrote:Hey, if we don't continue to push it a bit, we might as well take up lake fishing with worms. But, as Harry Callahan said said " A man's got to know his limitations" (Magnum Force)

Exactly. Except now(50+) my pushing it is, do I order dessert after dinner. :roll: ;)

BrownBear wrote:BTW-

These marvels are now part of our standard geezer gear. Built for conditions like you see on Deadliest Catch, they're tough as nails yet compact enough to be out of the way. Best of all they cost just under $100. I've tried the various suspenders and such, but none measure up to these. If you climb on my boat, you'll be wearing one. We use them in float tubes and pontoon boats too, as well as general wading. You'll see us wearing ours on the Kern this winter.

Call me lucky for not needing one in my youth, but my wife (and my boss!) sure would have slept better if I'd had one. Only makes sense for lots of folks to be wearing them.

I have a couple of the auto inflate vests for the boat. I chose auto inflate just in case of an accident and I get knock unconscious. I spend quite a bit of time at the Delta, and there are enough water hazards to keep you on your toes. Earlier this year a young man lost his life there in a boating accident, while wearing a inflatable vest. Not sure if it malfunctioned or not.

About this time last year I took a white knuckle ride in a bass boat. We went WOT across chop I would not attempt in my boat. I couldn't count the times we were flying above the water, but I was sure glade I had my PFD on!!

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » June 16th, 2014, 10:17 am

Yeah, auto inflate is best of all if it's reliable. The downsides are the cost of (and need for) regular maintenance on top of higher entry fee. I'm a little leery of them still after lots of experience on the water with early versions that would auto-inflate unexpectedly in humid weather, much less in rain. I was just getting into my truck one rainy day while wearing one (forgot to take it off), when the thing inflated. Think auto air bag. Thankfully it didn't happen 30 seconds later while I was driving. I think it could have been a little distracting too, if it happened to the driver while airborne on your WOT bass boat adventure.

Today the Mustang auto units have the best rep for reliability. I suspect they have a hand in the production of some other brands too, whether making the whole PFD under another label or contracting for components. Suspicion rather than fact, though.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » June 16th, 2014, 12:58 pm

BrownBear wrote:Yeah, auto inflate is best of all if it's reliable.

The one you posted would rank very high as a reliable unit. Mustangs are top quality PFDs. I too worry about the reliability of the auto inflate models, but in my situation, that's what I chose. Bass Pro Shop brand. Extremely comfortable, and I have worn it all day.

Just about every year I've read about boating accidents in the Delta. Twice, and auto inflate unit was one of the reasons the person survived. This last accident I posted about, I'm not so sure. There was mention(not confirmed)that he had an inflatable PFD on, but it didn't deploy. The more I think about it, the more I think I should get a Mustang auto inflate................

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » June 16th, 2014, 2:22 pm

briansII wrote:
BrownBear wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think I should get a Mustang auto inflate................

Anyone ever call you a mind reader? ;) We need a couple more for the boat, and all this talk about autos has me thinking and looking. And yeah, Mustang is about as good as it gets.

Back in the day (as in, 20 years ago, before I retired) I worked in marine safety and spent a lot of time with the various manufacturers. Working with the Mustang engineers was kind of a cut above dealing with any other company. All the companies were trying to do a good thing, but Mustang sure seemed to put a lot more money and people into their engineering and testing.
BrownBear

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing