REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wading Boots?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Wading Boots?

Postby John Harper » June 9th, 2014, 4:22 pm

If I were to get some stocking foot waders, are wading boots any different than some hiking boots? I realize there are felt and stud soles, but aren't most of them just vibram or some other rubber style? What makes wading boots different, especially if you have to hike while wearing them?

John
John Harper

Re: Wading Boots?

Postby acorad » June 9th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Hi John, I'll probably get sh*t for this, :-) but I use an old pair of $19.99 Walmart hiking boots that I bought years ago for working around the house.

I'm sure there are better boots for slick-rock rivers like the Kern, but for everywhere else I've used them they've been fine.

Heck, even on the Kern I didn't seem to have any more problems than any of the other people I was fishing with did.

Again, I'm sure others will say I'm crazy! And they're probably right...

Andy
acorad

Postby WanderingBlues » June 9th, 2014, 5:28 pm

The big difference is wading boots are designed to drain and, in certain cases, to have materials that are less affected by submersion (ie mildew and rotting).
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby midger » June 9th, 2014, 6:36 pm

You can wade in whatever boot fits over your waders comfortably. That being said, the rubber compound of most hiking boots is much harder than the rubber soles of Simms and Patagonia wading boots so they won't grip the rocks as well, not that I've had that much luck with the sticky rubber wading boots--I actually hate the things. The wading boots do drain much better and I suspect your feet will feel very heavy if you are wearing regular hiking boots as they aren't designed to drain.

I still like the felt soles or the studded felt soles for boots I wade in. They are far less likely to have you doing a fish dance in the middle of the river and often taking a swim.

Prices for these run the range of mild to wild. I haven't found the more expensive models to appreciably outwear the cheaper models. The main thing is "fit". Nothing is more uncomfortable than fishing with your toes jammed onto a pair of ill * boots, or having your feet slip all around in grossly loose boots. I've found a rough rule of thumb is to order boots at least one size larger than my street shoe size unless you're at a half size, then you'll be 1 1/2 sizes larger--ie 9.5 would probably fit best in a size 11.

There are some good buys on Allen boots through Sierra Trading Post now. Be aware these run small. I tried on several pairs in store in Boise Idaho at their outlet store. I usually would wear a size 10 wading boot, as that what I wear in a Simms or Patagonia boot. In these I'd take an 11.

If I were going to get only one pair of boots, they'd be a felt soled boot. I've busted my tail far fewer times with these. I'd also recommend getting a ski pole or some other type of wading pole--these can also double as a hiking staff in a pinch.

............Or you can always use a poor mans boot and barge cement outdoor carpet to a set of hiking shoes--just don't expect good drainage. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » June 10th, 2014, 6:31 am

What every one said plus this-- you have to watch it when you are wearing felt sole's in snowy- icy conditions. Ice can build up on the felt soles when you walk along the stream bank, you know what comes next. More of a problem when I jump shoot ducks than when I fish but it still will get you if you are not careful.
duckdog

Postby fshflys » June 10th, 2014, 6:49 am

I believe you should consider where you fish in the felt, no-felt category. I fish the East Side almost exclusively, Hot Creek, Owens & East Walker none of which have those snot covered rocks. I prefer rubber sole, one of the major reasons is most of the time I'm in my waders it's cold out, sometimes snow on the ground & when walking in snow with felt soles, the felt holds onto snow & your feet become 10 lbs heavier.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Wading Boots?

Postby silverlaker » June 10th, 2014, 7:49 am

I agree with Midger re: felt versus rubber. However I'm in rubber most of the time now. You get used to it. Some rivers just don't work without felt (and more) though. Assuming felt is legal everywhere you are going to fish, and it's not snowing, do you hike and fish or stand and fish? Rubber is nicer for the hike. I'll hike-in several miles in my rubber patagonia. Also are you in the river a lot or in/ near the bank a lot? Either way, a decent pair of wading boots can make a big difference in comfort and wading confidence. Redington has some reasonably priced boots I've noticed. For rubber I love my Patagonia boots.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby BrownBear » June 10th, 2014, 8:34 am

A few important features for me:

Easy on and off, both getting your foot in and out, but also lacing the blooming things. I've used everything from tennis shoes to hiking boots to an array of dedicated wading boots. All worked, but I relish the dedicated ones I have now. Getting geezerly slaps you in the face now and then, and standing on your head to mess with boots is one of them.

Keeping my head topmost while wading. A "trick" we used back in the 60's and 70's was gluing indoor/outdoor carpet onto rubber soles of waders and tennis shoes for better traction. Actually better than felt when you use one of the course versions. But my general clumsy nature has only gotten worse with my receding hairline. Gotta have better traction these days. Best overall has been felt with studs. Second best, but a close second, is rubber with studs. Both are better for me than plain felt.

Support, especially the sole, for rough and tumble wading. I hate stiff soles on hiking boots, but relish them on boots when you can't see where you're putting your feet on a rough surface in a strong current.

Durability with lots of wettings and dryings. "Cheap" is relative if the things rot off your feet in a year or two. I got 15 years out of my first pair of quality wading boots (the old Danner leathers), and I still have them as backup. They've had the felt replaced 3 times and the leather dries so stiff I have to soak them to get them flexible enough to put on. Only reason I quit using them is that Alaska banned felts a couple of years ago. I'll happily pay $150 for boots that are going to last 10+ years rather than spending $40 for boots that last 1 or 2.

BTW- Alaska is not the only state banning felts. Do your research before traveling, or you'll end up buying new boots on arrival whether you want to or not.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » June 10th, 2014, 10:08 am

John Harper wrote:If I were to get some stocking foot waders, are wading boots any different than some hiking boots? I realize there are felt and stud soles, but aren't most of them just vibram or some other rubber style? What makes wading boots different, especially if you have to hike while wearing them?

John

If you go with hiking boots with "Vibram" or rubber soles, think about using studs. Any rubber soles are very slippery on wet rocks, and can be dangerous. Wading sandy or pea gravel bottoms are ok, but any rocky bottom streams could lead to getting wet, or worse........ A quality pair of wading boots should be fine to hike in. Fit is always an issue, so make sure you try them on with the waders you plan to use(not all stocking foot waders have the same thickness booties).

I agree with what has been said. Buy right the first time, and be happy/safe.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing