REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Mono vs Fluoro

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Mono vs Fluoro

Postby briansII » June 3rd, 2014, 5:13 pm

This subject hasn't been discussed before............ :doh: :doh:

But anyway, I saw this video today.

And it's just one of MANY videos and articles I've read over the years. If you are pro fluoro, you'll say this definitely shows that fluorocarbon is less visible underwater. Mono fans will question the way the video was shot, and that we don't know what the fish sees. Fluoro sinks. Mono floats. So they have that going for them.

I use both. Sometimes I use flouro on a dry fly. Sometimes I will swing wets or streamers with mono. I like not catching fish(slimy creatures), so I rarely nymph. Makes sense, right?

briansII
briansII

Re: Mono vs Fluoro

Postby Sasha » June 3rd, 2014, 5:42 pm

I vote get both!
Sasha

Postby k9mark » June 3rd, 2014, 6:19 pm

I can see them both...
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby BrownBear » June 3rd, 2014, 7:54 pm

briansII wrote:Fluoro sinks. Mono floats.

That's why I'm fluoro all the way. Can only carry so many spoolsin my fly bag, so I make do with the fluoro in non-dry situations too. Right now there are spools of 0x, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x and 6x in my trout bag. Here in AK I carry spools of 6#, 8#, 10#, 12#, 15#, 20#, 25# and 30# in my salmon fly fishing bag. Why so many? I make up all my own tapered leaders right on the water to match the conditions and the flies.

It doesn't stop at fly fishing though. Right now on my boat there are 100 yard leader spools of 30#, 40#, 50#, 60#, 80#, 100# and 150#. I leave the 200#, 300# and 500# home because I have to use crimps and a tool to make leaders with those. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby Jimbo Roberts » June 3rd, 2014, 10:44 pm

I use both and carry both. I use Fluoro when nymph fishing and mono when dryfly fishing or anything that must be close to the surface like nymphs/emergers in the surface film or just below like swinging soft hackles.
I have also been experimenting with hybrids for nymph fishing. I used to use straight fluoro, but lately I have been using mono butt sections and fluoro from the strike indicator on down to the flys.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby WanderingBlues » June 4th, 2014, 6:35 am

I keep some 4lb Fluoro in the bag for the gin clear water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby duckdog » June 4th, 2014, 6:53 am

I carry both . I used to use flouro for nymphing and streamers , using mono for dry's . When I use flouro it is only for tippet material, when midging that tippet is 5-6 ft long. A few years ago I was having a tough day on hot creek with alot of late refusals on dry fly's. I was using 6x mono and had no 7x so I switched to 6x flouro and no more refusals . Now I mostly use flouro for dry's too. I know that flouro sinks and mono floats better but I just treat the flouro tippet w/ paste to about 12- 14 in from the fly and it seams to work well.Even when I don't treat it I am really not having too much of a problem with it sinking. Places like Hot creek most of the drift's are short . All of you most likely know this already but I say it any way, when using flouro it is supper important to change that tippet if you have any nicks or the slightest abrasion in it. That nick or abrasion will make the flouro very visible. If that tippet is not perfect --I'm changing it out. I carry 2x-6x and picked up some Trout Hunter 5.5x and 6.5x last year but have not been fishing much in the last 7-8 months so I have not used them yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
duckdog

Postby fly addict » June 4th, 2014, 7:05 am

I have used both fluorocarbon and mono tippet material over the years. I’m now using mono for all my fishing needs. I have had knot failures, and breakage between the knots with fluoro, not so with mono. And the best fly fisherman I have ever had the pleasure to fish with uses mono all the time, and he will out fish just about everybody on this site. And no Jim, I’m not talking about you! ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Devinpreston » June 4th, 2014, 8:41 am

I use 4 lb and 6lb vanish flouro for almost all situations except when dry fly fishing.
Devinpreston

Postby meb » June 4th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I only use mono, but I mostly dry fly fish or swing flies. When fluor first came out I used it, but I broke off a couple large fish at the knot and haven't used it since.

MB
meb

Postby briansII » June 4th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Like I said, I use both. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason why I choose one over the other. Whatever happens to be handy for trout. I do like 6X flouro for dry flies, and very difficult situations. 6X won't drag a small fly under as long as it's a good presentation. I flip flop for streamers and wets on trout. Whatever happens to be easiest to grab. For other fish that pull hard, I use mostly heavy flouro. I will not hesitate to use mono too, but I have so much flouro, it's what I use and have confidence in. It's extremely rare for me to break a fish off on either line. When breaking off snags, both are very strong.

I mostly use the same knots for mono and flouro. Again, for trout it's basically the same knots. Improved clinch, Davy, or Lefty's Loop. Triple surgeon's for leaders. For my heavy line and conventional fishing, no improved clinch, or Davy. I'll add in a Palomar(a knot I don't care for but easy to tie), and a no name knot, very similar to a San Diego Jam.

No name knot.

This knot has proven to be very strong, and impact resistant. It is bulky, and uses a lot of line to tie, but I trust it as much as the Lefty Loop. I cannot remember if I have ever broken off a lure at the knot. If so, I know it was on a snag, and never a fish. Ugly, bulky, wasteful, and STRONG.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing