REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Parking pass questions

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Parking pass questions

Postby tenandtwo » May 29th, 2014, 11:28 pm

My adventure pass is about to expire. Over spring break I bought the interagency pass which says "valid ... at federal recreation sites", national forests, right?
2 questions- does this card work where my adventure pass did, and how ( on the dash I assume which side up) do I display it.

Thanks -
tenandtwo

Re: Parking pass questions

Postby John Harper » May 30th, 2014, 6:24 am

I thought the adventure passes were ruled against and not used in several NF areas in SoCal. I forget the details.

John
John Harper

Postby fly addict » May 30th, 2014, 6:48 am

John is right, most places along the roads in the SBNF don't require a pass to park. If an area doesn’t have any improvements such as trash cans, restrooms, picnic tables, you don’t have to display a pass. It was decided in a court case a few years ago. Congress authorized the Adventure Pass to collect money to help maintain and make improvements to the infrastructure in the National Forest where the money was collected. The money collected from the pass was supposed to be used for such improvements in our N F, but instead it went into the general fund and little if any of the improvements promised were done. So a judge ruled that it was illegal to collect the money. :bananadance: So the top dog in charge of our N F decided that they would not issue tickets to motorist that were parked in areas that didn’t have any improvements.
You would need to have a pass if you were to park in a parking area like the one on the WFSG. Or if you would like you can still buy one just because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. ;)
I have no idea about the other pass you have.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby BrownBear » May 30th, 2014, 7:25 am

fly addict wrote:I have no idea about the other pass you have.

We have those passes. One per vehicle does the job. Not sure how widespread it is, but we were visited by the Forest Service guy when fishing at Camp 9 on Isabella in March. Showed him the pass and didn't have to pay the fees.
BrownBear

Postby tenandtwo » May 30th, 2014, 10:42 am

My local trailhead a few miles east...
Image ;)

It does make me feel warm and fuzzy to pay fees that pay someone to see if I paid my fees.

I understand it the same way. If I just pull off a dirt road I do not need it, but if there are any improvements, (trailhead, restroom, picnic area, etc) then I do.

I have only used the interagency pass at gates or booths that were staffed. Wondering if anyone can confirm it works like the adventure pass- can I leave it on the dashboard and walk off?

Oh got it - I need a hang tag http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/annual.shtml although it looks like it comes with the pass, the park ranger I bought it from never mentioned or offered a hang tag. Guess I gotta get them to send me one.
tenandtwo

Postby midger » May 30th, 2014, 11:10 am

I don't know how it works with your pass. I quit buying the local SB Mt Pass several years ago when I saw there was no enforcement with the day use crowd coming up to snow play in the winter and when I found out where the $$ really went. Just another method of taxing without passing legislation to do so.

Almost all the areas I fish locally have no facilities--trash, toilet, or otherwise. Obviously the annual fees I paid in the past didn't do much for these local areas.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fly addict » May 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm

tenandtwo wrote:My local trailhead a few miles east...
Image ;)

It does make me feel warm and fuzzy to pay fees that pay someone to see if I paid my fees.

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
That is one of the funniest lines I have heard in a long time.
I never thought of it that way, but isn’t that the way government seems to works these days…
:roll:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby flocktothewall » June 4th, 2014, 1:07 pm

New ruling only a few weeks old, shut Adenture pass down almost completely:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

To sum it up, Gov't can't charge for parking. So if you don't use the facilities at the trailhead, just the parking "legally" you don't need to display an adventure pass.

It takes the Gov't years to catch up to the new laws so no guarantee of no enforcement.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby WanderingBlues » June 4th, 2014, 3:03 pm

You're interagency pass is good for all things except where special fee areas are noted. A good example is Devils Postpile.

I never bought into that Adventure Pass crap. All it did was make improvements that allowed people with no ethics more accessibility into sensitive areas. I just displayed my Parks Pass on a mirror hanger.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to General Fly Fishing