REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Flybox Labels

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Flybox Labels

Postby midger » May 21st, 2014, 2:24 pm

After seeing several "lost flybox" posts, I decided it might not be a bad idea to put a name, address, and phone number with the boxes I carry on the water. After going into a minipanic in Idaho after I'd lost an O box loaded with around 500 flies, the decision was finalized and today I printed up and labelled 20+ boxes with bright fluorescent pink labels. :bananadance:

BTW, The box I thought I'd lost had actually missed an inside wader pocket and slid down the inside of my waders to a spot near my left foot, but because my leg was sort of numb from the cold water, I didn't feel it. I didn't figure this out though until I'd backtracked and check bushes and asked another flyfisher if a box had floated by, wasting valuable fishing time.

I'd actually been meaning to do this for a long time.

How many of you label your boxes?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Flybox Labels

Postby fly addict » May 21st, 2014, 3:23 pm

Mike that only works if, A. you drop it and it doesn’t sink, and you are able to grab it before it drifts away B. someone who finds it is honest, C. someone finds it and the hooks aren’t all rusty. I prefer to not take that chance. I find that there are times when I’m on the water and I need a third hand, Well I don’t think I can wait for evolution in order for that to happen, so I attach my fly boxes to my vest with a retractable zinger and a cotter pin. It works great and I have never lost a box with this setup. I once had a guide say he didn’t think it was very practical. I think it is much more practical than retying 560 flies that fit in each box I carry. Maybe the guide wished I would go in his shop and replace the flies. Oh and as you see I do label my boxes just in case my system fails. ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » May 21st, 2014, 3:35 pm

Mark,
A lot of the boxes I carry are sealed and waterproof so those won't sink nor get water inside so they'll be okay. The Morell boxes are made of foam and these all float, but you're right, the hooks can and do get wet when you dunk these boxes--I've had to dry more than one of them along with me.

It may not make a difference and the finders may never call, but at least I hope they feel guilty if they don't call.

And you're right about having to replace a lot of flies for each box lost. The cost would be great to buy them at a shop, but many of the patterns aren't commercially available so that's not an option. It just means a lot of tying to replace them...........
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » May 21st, 2014, 3:42 pm

I had to put my labels over some dude's bright pink fluorescent labels .. Seriously, though, my are inscribed with a Sharpie.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » May 21st, 2014, 4:58 pm

midger wrote:... with the boxes I carry on the water ... I printed up and labelled 20+ boxes with bright fluorescent pink labels.

And when are you going to label the other 80 boxes? To answer your question - I labeled my 5 boxes a few years ago since that is all of the flies that I own and I carry all of them on the stream with me. It would kind of suck to lose one - then again, it might spur me not to be so lazy and tie some back-ups to have at home. :oo:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Chris Kuhn » May 21st, 2014, 5:17 pm

20 plus boxes. I feel so inadequate now.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby midger » May 21st, 2014, 6:00 pm

Chris Kuhn wrote:20 plus boxes. I feel so inadequate now.

Yeah, but you can only fish 2-3 flies at a time--the key is to try to have the "right" 2-3 flies and sometimes this requires more flies to be carried so you can find them. BTW, I rarely have more than 2-3 boxes on me while fishing at any given time, and I do change flies quite often, even when they're hitting a given pattern as I enjoy finding out what else they'll hit.

Do I think marking the boxes will help? Not all that much, but you never know and you might get lucky.

Now if I fished only dry flies, I could probably get by with only ONE box......... ;) ;) ;)
midger

Postby 87TT » May 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm

I tied mini tags on all 20 of my flies in case I lose one. :bananadance:
87TT

Postby BrownBear » May 21st, 2014, 8:58 pm

midger wrote:How many of you label your boxes?

Strip of duct tape and a Sharpie here. Both for contents and my name/addy.
BrownBear

Postby Pete » May 22nd, 2014, 5:21 am

Yes, I put labels on fly boxes and use to do it on rod tubes, but I fear I have grown lazy on the tubes. And yes labeling works . Had a lost box returned to me and returned a lost box. Also have a box I found that was never claimed without any label. But, that was way before the internet.
Pete

Postby beachbum » May 22nd, 2014, 11:17 am

I switched back to wooden and sealed plastic boxes that float, and it's paid off. Last time I took a swim on the Henry's Fork, a box got away, and a friend chased it down the river, and retrieved it for me. The lesson I learned from that was ALWAYS make sure my vest pockets were closed. I have labels on a few of my boxes, and after reading your post, I think I will label the rest too. Good post, Mike!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Brookflyguy » May 22nd, 2014, 1:40 pm

Had a scare this past weekend thinking I left one of my boxes at a spot. Turns out I put it into my buddies bag. Definitely going to label my boxes after that.
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Postby Chris Kuhn » May 22nd, 2014, 7:58 pm

87TT wrote:I tied mini tags on all 20 of my flies in case I lose one. :bananadance:

lol
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Chris Kuhn » May 22nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

midger wrote:
Chris Kuhn wrote:20 plus boxes. I feel so inadequate now.

Yeah, but you can only fish 2-3 flies at a time--the key is to try to have the "right" 2-3 flies and sometimes this requires more flies to be carried so you can find them. BTW, I rarely have more than 2-3 boxes on me while fishing at any given time, and I do change flies quite often, even when they're hitting a given pattern as I enjoy finding out what else they'll hit.

Do I think marking the boxes will help? Not all that much, but you never know and you might get lucky.

Now if I fished only dry flies, I could probably get by with only ONE box......... ;) ;) ;)

If I found a box with a name and address I would get it back to them, I am sure I am not alone.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Bajacamp » May 23rd, 2014, 4:13 pm

Just reading this thread and have to tell you that last Sunday I was at Harveston Lake. I fish there a lot because I live in the area. The night before my wife suggested that I put labels on my fishing stuff. Wow what a good idea. I should have done it then. Because the next day my dry fly box fell out of my shoulder bag. I did not realize it until the next day. A label would have been good, there's at least a chance of getting it back. I'm putting labels on all my fishing and outdoor stuff.............
Bajacamp

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing