REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lightweight hiking shoes?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby Autodave » May 19th, 2014, 9:40 am

I'm looking for some new ones. I'm currently wearing Merrell Moab Ventilators. Has anybody worn Keen's?
Autodave

Re: Lightweight hiking shoes?

Postby Benny » May 19th, 2014, 10:00 am

I've been wearing Keen hiking boots for quite a while. Very comfortable out of the box with no break in needed. Although these boots are comfortable they do not last very long, and do not do very well under rough hiking or backpacking condition. I had to return a pair after a four day backpacking trek, one of the boots came unglued on the trail. I will never buy another pair of the Keen boots. The Keen's do have issues with coming unglued. Not something you want on the trail or on the sidewalks.

On another note I just purchased some Solomon Quest 4D GTX backpacking boots. I have not worn them for a long period of time yet, but they do seem extremely comfortable. They do provide great ankle support. They are a bit pricey but they look and feel like they will last a long time. These came on a recommendation from an REI rep who was helping me choose a new pair of backpacking/hiking boots.
Benny

Postby WanderingBlues » May 19th, 2014, 10:52 am

I LOVE Keens. Comfortable and functional.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Sasha » May 19th, 2014, 11:49 am

I've been using Merrell hiking boots/shoes for a while. Quite light, waterproof and they have Vibram soles. I use them all through Idaho. I even picked up a pair to wear while at work as I am on my feet quite a bit.
Sasha

Postby briansII » May 19th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I wear Keens daily, as well as have hiking boots, and sandals. Comfy right out of the box. Unfortunately, what Benny said about the glue failures is true. I had two pair separate from the sole. Easy fix(I just re-glue them with Shoe Goo), but not something I want to worry about when out on a hike. I have a very hard time finding shoes/boots that fit me well. Keen is one company that I can count on to fit my feet.

briansII
briansII

Postby atomicfly » May 19th, 2014, 7:14 pm

unlike Brian, I just don't play well with Keens. the toe design just hurts. But i love my Teva Riva eVent hiking shoes. SO comfortable and hold up well. I wear them daily over all types of terrain. REI carries them but you can find them cheaper at amazon.
atomicfly

Postby Autodave » May 19th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Thanks for the input. Kinda sounds like a love/hate with the Keen's.
Autodave

Postby Jimbo Roberts » May 19th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Can't go wrong with Merrell's.
I bought a pair of their rock climbing shoes for light hiking and after 2 years they are still holding up well.
The sole is soft and very grippy, yet they are still not worn out.
Heavy hikers I go to Vasque.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby RichardCullip » May 19th, 2014, 9:18 pm

No experience with Keens but I do love my Inov8 Roclite 295's. Nice wide toe box, very light weight and extremely sticky rubber lugged soles. They even have a decent stick on wet rocks.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby anacrime » May 21st, 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm a big fan of Vasque trail runners. Not the leather or goretex models, but the lightweight models that don't absorb much water, dry super quickly, and breath way better. I've had several pairs, but currently own the newest ones called Mindbender. I'm more of a long distance, fast, lightweight type hiker and need something that breaths well and dries quick. Montrail makes good stuff too, my feet just prefer Vasque.

Keen's are great, but they are much heavier than the Mindbender, dry slowly, and Keen has very lousy customer support / warranties. I've had friends inquire about shoes coming apart and they pretty much tell you that you're SOL. The vibram soles on Keens do offer better grip for wet wading however...
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby fshflys » May 22nd, 2014, 7:56 am

anacrime wrote:Keen has very lousy customer support / warranties.

A few years ago while my son was working for a large sporting goods store and could get Pro Deals, he went onto the Keen Pro Deal site, the shoes he wanted had a list price of $0.00 - he called the rep # and discussed this with the rep & her response was "Then I'd buy them!" He got a free pair of shoes.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby anacrime » May 22nd, 2014, 6:34 pm

Good for him. That sounds like a deal available to people selling Keen shoes, not an example of customer support or warranty....
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Return to General Fly Fishing