REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lotsa rain, little snow

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lotsa rain, little snow

Postby midger » February 6th, 2009, 8:53 am

It's rained all night, mixed with the occasional snow flurry. Probably about an inch of rain, which will help the local stream flows, but not do much for the long term, summer prospects on the watersheds. Snow levels are projected to drop to around 4500 feet tonight, which should help, and we are projected to get anywhere from 6-18 inches of snow.

Funny how things change up here (6200 feet altitude) in 3-4 days. Monday I fished in shorts, wet wading, fishing to beautiful fish in a nicely flowing stream. Bet it's ripping now. We do need the snow though.

I'll add more if/when the snow hits.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Lotsa rain, little snow

Postby Flyjunkie » February 6th, 2009, 9:41 am

The rain Gauge at my House (in the west end of the San Fernando Valley) measured 1 1/4" this Morning... Very nice...but the next storm coming in will dump more (so the reports are..).. I hope this is true...
Read about the Snow levels dropping lower as well... The Snow Pack is more important then the Local rains... (If we had Catch Basins around So Cal a Plenty.. that would Trap, Spread, Slow and Soak the rains into the Underground catch basins.. things would be Better..)... I am still enjoying these rains...

Just driving more defensively then normal... and S-L-O-W-E-R .... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby flybob » February 6th, 2009, 11:05 am

Mike, as usual, you insights to the conditions around you area, are greatly appreciatied!

Thanks,
bob

time for some fly tying, maybe even the "Midger/RS2 Micro Bugger"!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby midger » February 7th, 2009, 7:41 am

Bob,
The microbuggers have been working well this winter as they allow the fly to get down to the bottom where many of the winter fish hold. I use it as a point fly with a dropper of a size 18-20 copper john, pheasant tail, hotwire brassie, or tung bead BWO. Been working nicely.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing