REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lost a FFA Member

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lost a FFA Member

Postby John Harper » April 30th, 2014, 9:02 am

I just read over on scsurffishing.com that Shane Chung passed away from heart attack last night. His screen name was sschung, and he was quite active in the flyfishing community. Some of you probably know him personally.

John
John Harper

Re: Lost a FFA Member

Postby RichardCullip » April 30th, 2014, 10:17 am

He will be missed.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2014, 11:00 am

Never had the honor of meeting him in person, but you feel like you know a guy from posts read and exchanged. Rest in Peace.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Benny » April 30th, 2014, 11:08 am

Really sad to hear of Shane's passing. Definitely a big part of the saltwater flyfishing community. He will certainly be missed.
Benny

Postby Wildman » April 30th, 2014, 11:23 am

I saw a posting on another forum and remember his posts here. Not sure whether it's because I am 66 but seems like I have been going to a lot of memorials lately (two this week). Healing thoughts for his family and friends.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flyster » April 30th, 2014, 12:13 pm

A truly sad day in our fly fishing community. My condolences to his family and close friends. I must say he was a class act. He will be truly missed.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby tomsakai » April 30th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Truly a nice guy. He was the editor of the Orange County FF Club newsletter and helped with tying classes and outings as well. Not that old either. A real shock.
tomsakai

Postby flybob » April 30th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I never had a chance to meet him, but I enjoyed his online presence.
May he enjoy and eternity of tight lines an evening rises.........
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby briansII » May 1st, 2014, 8:33 am

Far too young. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » May 1st, 2014, 2:27 pm

I am greatly saddened by this tragic news. Way too young. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
NorcalBob

Postby Flatsix » May 2nd, 2014, 10:56 pm

Really sad news!

I met Shane at a Marriotts event a while back and talked to him for about an hour about reading water, when to fish, where to fish and learned to tie a couple of basic surf flies.

Great guy, tons of knowledge, unpretentious, easy to be around.

Shane will be missed.
Flatsix

Postby duckdog » May 3rd, 2014, 8:45 am

Prayers for his family and those that were close to him.
duckdog

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 4th, 2014, 8:23 am

Shane was a good friend. He was a bit of a wild child when you got to know him-Like that about him. I remember my first real interaction with him at the 2011(?)Pasadena FF show. I had a booth there, and so did our Orange County FF club. Shane was there late on the closing day. I offered him a ride down the street to his car as my truck was nearby and I had just finished loading. After that, we chatted about carp and surf fishing at the meetings, and s/w fly tying at many an event. He was instrumental in promoting on the Film tour and the 1 surf fly. He was also in line to be our next president of the FFCOC.

We lost a good one here folks. We now all need to work just a bit harder to promote FF, as Shane did. He was a mere 46 y/o I believe.

I have met Amy, his sweet wife, a few times, and his kids were always all over their Dad. I feel for them in this tragic time. My club is going to do something for the family. I will keep ya'll informed of what that is in case you want to help.

Shane, buddy, tight lines, and God Bless you and yours.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 4th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Here is a letter from the current FFCOC president, and friend of Shane put out to the FFCOC membership.

Shane Chung enhanced many lives with his great sense of humor, smile and willingness to get involved no matter how tough the project. He will be remembered for his work with the One Surf Fly competition, his dedication to the Fly Fishers Club of Orange County as Vice President and Newsletter Editor, a member of the Orange County Red Wine Fly Tiers, and many worthwhile causes. He was also a licensed fishing guide in California. Shane was 46; He died of a brain aneurism which took him suddenly. He was a devoted father and husband; he is survived by his wife Kim and their son Devon.
He was always around water and not many fish got away from his vice like grip as you can see from the above picture. He dove to keep this fish from escaping the net into the cold water of Pyramid Lake Nevada. Many of us were fortunate enough to have fished with him on his last fishing trip just hours before his passing. This fish won him the big fish pot which made him quite happy since he was competing against many other experienced fly fishermen and friends.
We are welcoming donations to set up a trust fund or trust account in his name to be directed toward his son’s future education. Contributions can be sent to the Fly Fishers Club of Orange County P.O. Box 23005 Santa Ana, California 92711-3005 Make contribution payable to the club and note on the bottom of the check Shane Fund. These are not tax deductible donations but an expression of caring for his son's education without his father guiding hand.
He will always be apart of my life in some wonderful memories.
The service will be held on Friday, May 16th at 10 am at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Tent 2, and Reception to follow in Tent 1. Please pass this along to anyone you fell might want to attend his memorial service.

John Williams
President Fly Fishers Club of Orange County
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Return to General Fly Fishing