REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sunglasses Help?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sunglasses Help?

Postby Pigeon » April 19th, 2014, 11:00 am

I'm in the market for a new pair of polarized sunglasses. The fate of my last pair was either my twin 10month old boys got to them or my 3 year old daughter played with then. Either way they are I. Pretty rough condition and I've been researching and am looking at either Costa Del Mar 580 or the new Smith Chromapop lenses. Does anyone have any suggestions? I greatly appreciate the input.

Clay
Pigeon

Re: Sunglasses Help?

Postby fshflys » April 19th, 2014, 12:12 pm

I've been wearing Ray Ban Predator glasses for the last 15 - 20 years, same frame, every few years I get the lenses changed, perscription, polarized. The frames are bulletproof and their warranty used to be as good as the major rodmakers, haven't had to use it on my current frames. I also use perscription glasses for computer work, after trying several different frames over the last 10 years I said * it, go with something that's worked for you in the past so I now have my reading/computer glasses in Ray Ban frames also.
http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/R ... 5289029748
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Sunglasses Help?

Postby silverlaker » April 19th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I'd recommend glass lenses, if possible. I've had some Smiths that I liked - but the costas I now use (glass) are far superior. I also like the Oakley lenses - but they scratch if you look at 'em sideways.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Sasha » April 19th, 2014, 5:56 pm

I've always gone with something from: Maui Jim, revo and Oakley. I tend to keep sunglasses for years. My last pair I purchased back 09.
Sasha

Postby midger » April 19th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I second the glass lenses. The ones I've had with plastic lenses scratch easily and I'm lucky to get a season out of them. I've heard nothing but good about the Costa Del Mars, and I've had really good luck with my Serengeti glass lenses (copper colored). I prefer the copper or brown lenses to the green/gray lense glasses as I can detect fish easier in bright light. Good luck in the search, and buy the kids their own sunglasses. Kids sunglasses are much cheaper. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby lucfish » April 19th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Smith in glass, brown tint is my choice.
lucfish

Postby BobK » April 19th, 2014, 8:08 pm

I 2nd what Luc says. I also have a pair in yellow for real cloudy days on the flats, but tend to stay with the brown. BobK
BobK

Postby Pigeon » April 19th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the help. I've never owned glass but you guys have confirmed that it is a superior product. Now all I have to do is keep them away from my little princess and the monsters.

Clay
Pigeon

Postby WanderingBlues » April 20th, 2014, 8:54 am

I've had one pair of Costas that are now 'swimming with the fishes.' Best I ever owned-even better than the brand new Oakleys I have (the offer a killer military/LE deal). I go with what the tribe says.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Baughb » April 20th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Maui Jim sunglasses are just my favorite. Unfortunately their prescription glasses are crazy expensive but thanks to my work's medical savings account (cash for co-pays, etc.) I've saved enough for a pair of their low light HT glasses. I do wish they were glass though. I don't mind the weight especially since they look so good.

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby briansII » April 21st, 2014, 10:32 am

Pigeon wrote:Thanks for all the help. I've never owned glass but you guys have confirmed that it is a superior product. Now all I have to do is keep them away from my little princess and the monsters.

Clay

Seems like whenever I find a pair of glasses I really like, I lose or break them. :doh: :doh: I would like to try the Costa 580s, but with my track record, I'm afraid to drop that much $$ on something disposable.

I prefer a glass lens, but still use poly lenses too. I'm currently rotating between two pairs of Habervision glasses. One for everyday, and one bifocal pair for fishing. The glass is very good quality, and no complaints with their poly lens. Good styles for fishing, and fit well too. The fit is a big deal to me. I have more than a few pair of glasses that don't fit well, and sit collecting dust somewhere. They range from cheapies, to expensive($200). :sad:

briansII
briansII

Postby John Harper » April 21st, 2014, 11:25 am

http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com

I got some polarized RayBan knockoffs that work great, and less than $20. Lens is plastic, but it is amazingly clear and you can really see the fish well. Still on my original pair after three years. Several of my friends have bought from them as well and all are happy customers.

Just not into spending big bucks for a fashionable "brand name" and something so easily lost or broken as sunglasses. All this stuff is probably produced in China and just brand labelled anyway. Over a hundred bucks for sunglasses, fugeddaboutit!

John
John Harper

Postby Rye_Tyler » April 21st, 2014, 2:04 pm

I tend to lose or destroy sunglasses fairly often unless they happen to be a pair I hate, then I can't kill them.
I've really liked Suncloud's made by Smith. Inexpensive enough to replace and fairly comparable to my Ray Bans.
Rye_Tyler

Postby buggravy » April 22nd, 2014, 5:51 am

I've had a number of Costas over the years, and have been very pleased with them. The Green Mirror lens has been outstanding for me in all but the flattest of light. I actually have a pair of 580 and 400 lenses in the same tint, and I personally can't perceive any advantage that the 580 holds. Since you mention that you've not used glass lenses before I will say that, at least with Costas, the glass lens is noticeably heavier, to the point of discomfort on long days if you're not used to them. That has been my experience any way. Several years ago Costa made a lightweight frame with interchangeable plastic lenses - cheaper CR39 if memory serves. They were super light, and the vermillion lens was my favorite lens ever.
buggravy

Postby Pete » April 23rd, 2014, 4:35 am

Their called Croakies boy. You know that little lanyard that holds your glasses around your neck. Good way to keep your favorite glasses from getting broken, scratched, or letting some fish wear them.

I second the glass lens, especially for perscription glasses. Have had my perscription Ray Bans for over three years without a scratch. Next time I will probably opt for the brown lens.

Pete
Pete

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing