REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sunglasses Help?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Sunglasses Help?

Postby John Harper » April 23rd, 2014, 1:13 pm

Pete wrote:Their called Croakies boy. You know that little lanyard that holds your glasses around your neck. Good way to keep your favorite glasses from getting broken, scratched, or letting some fish wear them.

Until you forget and pick something large up and find them smashed against your chest. Killed my Ray Bans like that.

John
John Harper

Postby briansII » April 23rd, 2014, 3:49 pm

I use Croakies a lot. I've bought several through the years. Unless I'm wearing my sunglasses 24/7, I lose them. :doh: .....with the Craokie attached to them :doh: :doh: I think they go looking for all the left socks, and right gloves I lost, and can't find their way back home.

Back on topic. Glass, brown, bronze, copper are my favorite fishing lenses in bright light. A close second is amber, or rose, especially in off light. Photochromatic lenses are great, but since I'm light sensitive, I have to be careful about the maximum light transmission ratings. Some don't get dark enough(for me)in bright light. The Chromapop lens looks interesting, but at 14% VLT, I'd be afraid they would not be dark enough for me. The glasses I use now are 22%

<edit> I just dropped my glasses on the concrete floor at work. They now have a nice chip in the middle of the left lens. :fireangry:

briansII
briansII

Postby acorad » April 23rd, 2014, 4:24 pm

I'll second the support for Rayban Predators, super light and comfortable, although they can be a bit dark if not in direct sunlight.

I picked up several other inexpensive pairs of polarized sunglasses in various lighter tints, and some as well with generic near-sighted lenses molded into the bottom portions of the lens, at Big 5, and have been very happy with them.

Andy
acorad

Postby BrownBear » April 24th, 2014, 11:32 am

acorad wrote:...a bit dark if not in direct sunlight.

...various lighter tints

You've got it. There's no single hue or tint that's right for all conditions. I buy the best I can find for average daylight river conditions and darker for saltwater- especially offshore or tropical. Then have assorted light-tinted cheapies for low light. Been using Smith for rivers, Maui Jim for offshore and tropical.
BrownBear

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing