REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing U Owens after rain?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fishing U Owens after rain?

Postby acorad » March 26th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Hi all, I was planning on driving up to the Upper Owens the Saturday afternoon, and fishing it for the first time on Sunday, but the weather report calls for rain on and off through Saturday.

Would you expect the fishing be lame because of the rain?

Andy
acorad

Re: Fishing U Owens after rain?

Postby darrin terry » March 26th, 2014, 2:21 pm

If it's not thunderstorms, but just rain, do it. Rain can be good for fishing. Just like any other weather. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » March 26th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Don't do it. You will probably get wet, then get the chills, and maybe contract pneumonia and die. :twisted:
Better to stay home and wish you would've gone.

Seriously? Fish live in the water and the rain won't bother them at the levels they're currently forecasting it to be. Some of my best days fishing have been in the rain. As long as it isn't a driving rain, you'll find that BWO hatches are more prolific, albeit, it's a bit early in the year for those to be happening on the Upper.

I seriously doubt they'd get enough rain to blow out that section, so you should be okay, but dress for the cold and expect the unexpected.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby mike.s » March 26th, 2014, 2:44 pm

If i can get everything together today im trying to get up there in the morning for 3 or 4 days ( im on spring break all week)...it should be fine. Most of the storm should be pass by today and tomorrow morning looks just like clouds and a little scattered rain but no snow except for today from what im reading. PM me if anyone will be up there from Thursday-sun am. I will give you my cell # And we can fish. Mainly hitting the upper O this trip.
Mike
mike.s

Postby acorad » March 26th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Thanks guys, it's a long drive and I'm getting pressure from the boss to stay home and attend a function Saturday night.

I suppose bigger brighter flies because the water is stained?

Any other tips?

Andy
acorad

Postby midger » March 26th, 2014, 3:03 pm

The usual flies should work fine as I doubt it will be too off color. Mammoth is only getting 3-5 inches of snow and that doesn't convert to a whole lot of rain. The roads could be dicey though if they get rain.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby John Harper » March 26th, 2014, 3:10 pm

I've had real good fishing during rainstorms. Something about the water drops seem to excite the fish in my experience. Maybe it distorts the surface and they come up from below.

John
John Harper

Postby acorad » March 26th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Thanks guys, as I said I've never fished the UO before and I don't know how the snow/rain affects that river, that's why I asked!

Andy
acorad

Postby mike.s » March 26th, 2014, 3:38 pm

acorad wrote:Thanks guys, as I said I've never fished the UO before and I don't know how the snow/rain affects that river, that's why I asked!

Andy

Just sent you a PM
mike.s

Postby duckdog » March 27th, 2014, 8:22 am

Two things that you should have with you if it is wet . 1- a shovel , 2 a small folding garden saw. The dirt roads along the U.O can get really snotty . The shovel for the obvious , the saw for cutting sage. If you start to get stuck cut some sage and use it to put under your tires. Cut a bunch and just keep moving it as you go. It is time consuming and will take you a while to get out but you will get out. I have not done this at the U.O but have done it other places. Just don't wait until you are stuck deep, if you wait , your stuck. Most people get into trouble up there by driving in too far when it is early and the snot is frozen and firm, fish all day and then try to drive out after the ground has thawed. If it really messy just park by the road and walk up to where you want to fish. It might be a long walk but it beats getting stuck or not fishing it at all. Good luck.
duckdog

Postby fshflys » March 27th, 2014, 9:05 am

The folding saw, great idea. One time I got stuck just 20 yds off the main dirt road, ended up using a small luggage bag under the tires, move a couple feet then get out & throw under again. Took me 2 hours to get that 20 yds back, never did go fishing the Owens that day. The bag got trashed.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby acorad » March 27th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the tips! I've got a perfect pruning saw for just such an occasion!

Andy
acorad

Postby Papasequoia » March 27th, 2014, 8:43 pm

The water is clear and the roads are dry as of today. Unless they get another storm it shouldn't be a problem.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby planettrout » March 28th, 2014, 7:54 am

Check here later today for the most current weather info for Mammoth:

http://mammothweather.com/

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby WanderingBlues » March 28th, 2014, 11:12 am

You only need to make sure you stay warm and dry. The fish will be fine. And, if it's overcast, all the better!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing