REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Greetings!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Greetings!

Postby twfitw » March 9th, 2014, 6:17 am

Hey everyone...

I just happened upon this forum, and I guess well I saw "fly fishing addicts" and I thought... "Hey that's me!" So Hi, my name is Nick and I am a fly fishing addict!

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and I fish as much as I can... the lakes freeze up solid here for six months of the year and when it is too cold to fish the odd tailwater that doesn't freeze I will cut holes in the ice and drop flies down to tempt fish... I know a lot of you guys are from SoCal so if that sounds crazy, well it is... I am originally from South Africa and prior to moving here ice went in * and kept meat for the barbecue fresh on long fishing trips.

Anyway I look forward to exploring on here and getting to know you guys... As for my fishing, I used to take a lot of photos but more recently I am enjoying making videos, so to get an idea of some of the fishing I get to enjoy here are a couple videos I worked on from my 2013 fishing...

Nick

twfitw

Re: Greetings!

Postby darrin terry » March 9th, 2014, 8:06 am

Welcome, Nick! Great videos! Gotta like when two things you enjoy meet and the results work out so well. Looking forward to more from you. It's always great seeing what fish others are chasing.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » March 9th, 2014, 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum and nice videos. What kind of fish was that catfish looking thing in the second video--the fish you had the great underwater shots of as it swam away?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » March 9th, 2014, 9:59 am

Welcome to the site! Enjoyed the videos, especially the Muskie shots.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby RichardCullip » March 9th, 2014, 10:15 am

Welcome aboard. I remember ice fishing with my dad as I grew up in Minnesota. We left the cold just before I started Junior High and I hope to never go back. Just can't handle the cold weather anymore. Thanks for the videos. Very enjoyable.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby lucfish » March 9th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Welcome to the fray Nick. Looking forward to seeing more of your new country in your videos and stills. One of my sister in laws hails from South Africa. Went and visited there in 1998. Beautiful country, they lived in Haute Bay. Went on safari up in the north. The biltong is the best dried meat I ever had, bar none.
lucfish

Greetings!

Postby twfitw » March 9th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The catfishy thing is a burbot... Was very unusual to catch it mid summer.

I miss biltong although i do make it myself from time to time, it is awesome although some people just don't get it...

I can't wait to wet a line this year, if the forecast stays good Wednesday may be the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twfitw

Postby darrin terry » March 9th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I was wondering about that fish too. At first I thought it was snakehead, but was not sure if they'd made it that far north. When you showed its mouth a bit, I decided it must be something else. Thanks.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Greetings!

Postby twfitw » March 9th, 2014, 6:49 pm

You're not the first person to think it may have been a snakehead... Please note I would never release a snakehead! We don't have them here and hopefully they stay out...

Burbot are generally nocturnal and more active in winter which makes getting this one quite special...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twfitw

Postby Sasha » March 9th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Welcome!

Nice videos, I enjoyed watching them. I need to fish in Canada some time. Especially considering my state is just south of the boarder.
Sasha

Postby Jason » March 10th, 2014, 10:41 am

Welcome aboard!

I love watching the "hook set"..... it's almost like being there.
Jason

Postby twfitw » March 10th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Jason wrote:Welcome aboard!

I love watching the "hook set"..... it's almost like being there.

I totally agree... not the easiest thing to catch on camera, but I too love the hook set!
twfitw

Return to General Fly Fishing