REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lotsa rain!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Lotsa rain!

Postby Wildman » March 1st, 2014, 8:02 am

Thanks Gabe....I should be good four days or so after the rains stop. It's what it is living in these canyons. We are just thrilled to get rain on our drought stressed chaparral that surrounds us. It is desperately needed. I am also hopeful for the locals....they got a giant influx of water on both sides of the mountain.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby midger » March 1st, 2014, 10:30 am

Jim,
Give me a shout if you need any help. Us pseudo-retired folks can generally squeeze in extras.

We didn't get near the snow they were predicting over here--maybe 3 inches on the ground now and it rained more last night even with the snow. I imagine we're at around 2 inches to precip by now (once you melt the snow into the total). I hope the storm is only half over as we still need more, more, more.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Wildman » March 1st, 2014, 10:40 am

Same on our side. Snow level around 6,000 and maybe four or five inches. Our creeks were bank to bank with lots of mud slides and I am hearing some homes filled up with the mud which turns to cement. If you want to get feel for just how small we really are....stand next to the Sheep creek wash and feel the power of water and mud moving thousands of volkswagen sized boulders.

I'll give you a holler once we assess just where we are. Thanks to both of you.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Fishfreak911 » March 1st, 2014, 11:47 am

lucfish wrote: You retired types crack me up. Tie a few flies, drink a few beers, tie a few flies, drink a few beers etc, etc, etc.

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

Yes, this is HIGHLY welcomed!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Benny » March 1st, 2014, 12:32 pm

Crappy cell phone photos of the LA River before I went into work last night. I have seen it pumping way higher than this, still lots of rain coming down. To bad the engineers didn't figure out a way to capture and clean all that water instead of having it drain all into the Pacific.

Benny

Postby gabe » March 2nd, 2014, 4:01 am

wow Benny. thats a sad sight to see. yup, its <oops> deal. all that urbanization that can't be undone. learned quite a bit about the negative effect of urbanization of CA in Geography of California course. maybe some day a there will be better controls put in place to at least minimize all the bad run off. :sad:
gabe

Postby midger » March 2nd, 2014, 8:11 am

Well the second half of the storm sure didn't produce 14-24 inches of snow like they forecast. We barely reached 6 inches total snow. Probably around 2 inches total in precip. :cry: :cry: :cry: Still glad we got this.

Benny,
Those cement ditches sure carry a lot of water out to the ocean. Can you just imagine what's in that water? I'll bet it's pretty polluted, and not just with debris.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby lucfish » March 2nd, 2014, 10:55 am

We got .06 from the storm on Wednesday and 2.36 from the Friday/Saturday storm for a total of 2.42. I'll take it. :) The lake has come up about 31/2 feet and I would expect maybe another 6 inches. That leaves us maybe a foot and a half from full pool. If the powers that be don't pull water out for drinking we'll have plenty for the year. There are about 6 tributaries that feed the lake with the San Jacinto the big dog and Salt Creek right behind it. Here is a picture I took this morning of the water coming into the lake from Salt Creek. The creek will run for about 3-5 days after a good rain like the one we just had.

The catfisherman are lined up there and getting quite a few fish up to 12 pounds, something they do after every rain, not my cup of tea but I don't mind watching for a few minutes, the fishing is quite good. Hard to imagine that is drinking water. I guess if they can turn salt water into fresh they can make chocolate water clear and potable.
lucfish

Postby Papasequoia » March 2nd, 2014, 3:06 pm

Mammoth is reporting three to four feet from the storm. Today's daily message:

Another 1-3" of new snow fell on Mammoth in the past 24 hours, adding nicely to our storm total of 3-4'! The majority of the storm has passed by, but we could see some snow showers throughout the day today. Temperatures are expected in the low 30s with light wind and mostly cloudy skies.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby teejay » March 3rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Weather station at Cogswell Dam reported 12 " from the storm. Good news for the west fork.
teejay

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing