REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The awesome power of water

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The awesome power of water

Postby teejay » February 15th, 2014, 4:22 pm

I recently came upon this debris dam on a local creek which was running less than ankle deep in some portions. For reference, the rod in the foreground is 8.5 feet. It must have been some gully washer coming down the canyon:

teejay

Re: The awesome power of water

Postby WanderingBlues » February 15th, 2014, 4:27 pm

3 run-offs ago, I went down to a local that was gauging at an unbelievable 2800cfs. It was spectacular, especially seeing huge trunks being thrown about like tooth picks.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby darrin terry » February 15th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Awesome is the right word for it.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » February 15th, 2014, 6:51 pm

I have to climb over those piles all the time on our locals and I wish we had to worry about new piles like that this spring, but sure doesn't look like we'll be getting much runoff. Somebody please do a rain/snow dance, will ya?

Now where you really need to be concerned was if that was a beaver dam and the beavers living in it were carnivorous. Then you'd have to sneak by it quietly.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Ants » February 22nd, 2014, 11:01 pm

The most recent example I saw was from summer thunderstorms over Sherman Pass in July 2014. The creeks looked similar and the silt filled the Kern all the way to Lake Isabella.

A good flushing is needed on the Kern, but the likelihood of significant flows seems slim for this year.

Ants
Ants

Postby Richard W T » February 24th, 2014, 9:47 am

Working on it out here. Starting to finally get rain but our snow pack is anemic.
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Return to General Fly Fishing