REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Ursack good for CWL!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Ursack good for CWL!

Postby John Harper » February 12th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Always on the lookout to lighten the load, it looks like the Ursack can be used in the CWL area. Has anyone bought one of these? Looks like a great way to drop close to a couple pounds over a bear can.
http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

I guess the LP ranger station will allow them (grudgingly), check out my HST post under gear topix.
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 15&t=10504

Richard and Eric, another way to lighten up!

John
John Harper

Ursack good for CWL!

Postby silverlaker » February 12th, 2014, 8:19 pm

I have one and have been trying to put it to use for the last 2 seasons. I haven't been able to get out. I will say that it is light, flexible, and is bound to shave pounds and space. Can't wait to use it
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Re: Ursack good for CWL!

Postby briansII » February 12th, 2014, 9:57 pm

I have had one for several years, and it has performed flawlessly............sitting on the shelf in the garage. :roll: :roll: Your welcome to use/try it. I have the odor barrier bag too. If you like it, I'll make you a good deal.

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » February 12th, 2014, 10:31 pm

The main downside that I have heard about them is that while the bears can't get into them they will chew and chew while trying to thus turning anything into powder that wasn't already.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 87TT » February 13th, 2014, 8:49 pm

That's what I heard. After the bear gets done chewing and throwing it around, the contents are well mixed and loose inside. Seems like they would be easier for a bear to take them for a walk far away too.
87TT

Postby teejay » February 15th, 2014, 5:45 pm

I certainly like the weight saving aspect but I’m wondering if putting your food into something that the bear possibly perceives as a lunch sack is just inviting trouble. :)
teejay

Postby midger » February 15th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I agree with teejay and think I'll stick to my old, hard plastic, heavy can.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing