REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Weight REEL Shootout

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Weight REEL Shootout

Postby briansII » February 8th, 2014, 11:09 am

Another chapter in the Yellowstone Angler's Shootouts.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear- ... amsonreels

Warning. Extreme fish *. :oo:

Being a lover of CNC machined aluminum, I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the reels, and browsing the aricle. I doubt I'll read the whole thing, but I find it entertaining on a wet, Sat. morning. The video(fishing *)was a little over the top for me, but what an incredible place.

BTW, I own the reel that won the shootout. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Re: Weight REEL Shootout

Postby meb » February 9th, 2014, 11:41 am

I didn't see any Hardy Marquis 1s on the list!!! I wonder how the Abel Spey and Switch reels would have performed. I wish I could afford some of the top end reels.

MB
meb

Weight REEL Shootout

Postby Rasputinj » February 9th, 2014, 1:19 pm

meb wrote:I didn't see any Hardy Marquis 1s on the list!!! I wonder how the Abel Spey and Switch reels would have performed. I wish I could afford some of the top end reels.

MB

I fished with a bamboo spey builder in Vancouver with old Hardy Perfects and Marquis reels, he seemed to do a heck of a job bringing in large steelhead and salmon with click/pawl. If you search around you can get larger galvan torques pretty cheap used. I found a t-8 for $190 in the classifieds off a ff forum. I think for the most part the skill of the angler has more to do than the reel. I do agree with the article that sometimes the Lamsons are a pain to get the spool off. Some of those reels are so expensive. I search for my reels on eBay and close outs at of old models. I caught a lot of big trout in NZ with an older Sage reel, seemed to work just fine. I think the only thing I look for are reels that are harder to gunk/ sand in between the spool and the frame or drag system.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby RichardCullip » February 9th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I've got some Galvan Torques (T-4,T-5, T-6 and T-8) and love them. Drag is smooth and very adjustable and I think they look pretty sharp.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby lucfish » February 9th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I don't care what they say, Tibor is the best.
lucfish

Postby midger » February 9th, 2014, 8:45 pm

briansII wrote: BTW, I own the reel that won the shootout. :bananadance:

briansII

Well yeah, that one and you probably own the top 15 reels with all the equipment you buy. ;) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Very interesting info Brian. Thanks for posting it and it was an interesting read for a Sunday afternoon, but I don't think I'll be running out and buying any of them.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » February 10th, 2014, 11:31 am

midger wrote:
briansII wrote: BTW, I own the reel that won the shootout. :bananadance:

briansII

Well yeah, that one and you probably own the top 15 reels with all the equipment you buy. ;) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Very interesting info Brian. Thanks for posting it and it was an interesting read for a Sunday afternoon, but I don't think I'll be running out and buying any of them.

Ha! Care to disclose how many rods and reels you own? :P

I actually only own a few of the reels on the list. I may be a hoarder, but I don'ttypicallyload up on expensive gear. I splurged(birthday present to myself)on the Nautilus NV, and unlike a lot of my stuff, I use the heck out of that reel.....notice how I immediately justify the purchase. Must be a reflex action.

Luc, a Riptide is on my want list. It's a reel that has been proven over and over again.

Meb, I think a click & pawl shootout would be cool. Every thing from Pfluegers to custom, bench made reels.

I like reels. I realize, in most cases, they are simple line holders, but there's beauty in simplicity.

briansII
briansII

Postby meb » February 10th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I like your reels. Great picture. I hope you get a steelhead in your local waters soon so you can hear those Marquis reels sing.

I have Hardys or Sage 505s and 506s made by Hardy for all of my trout and steelhead rods, single handed and two handed. They were the reels that I started with, and I came to prefer them.

When I said I wish I could afford expensive reels, I was thinking Bougles and Perfects.

MB
meb

Return to General Fly Fishing