REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Anything you don't like......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Anything you don't like......

Postby briansII » January 23rd, 2014, 11:05 am

.......about fly fishing.

I'm positive the pluses out number the minuses a 100 : 1, but is there anything you don't like about fly fishing. Tweed knickers make your legs itch? Only casting upstream with dry flies get a little boring? ;)

What say ye.

briansII
briansII

Re: Anything you don't like......

Postby midger » January 23rd, 2014, 11:17 am

Brian,
You must be bored. ;) This site has needed a defibrillator lately it's been so quiet.

Fly fishing is such an individual sport, while at the same time being one that allows for camaraderie off stream, at lunch, etc. It's probably actually something different to each of us and I know we all have differing opinions as to what's the best way to pursue the sport--streamers, dry fly, nymph, wet fly, etc.

Personally there is nothing I don't like about the sport with the exception of some of the hot spotting or articles in newspapers bringing a deluge of folks to areas that I consider "mine" ;) But this isn't really a knock on the sport and I can still pursue fish along with the others who come.

I wish more younger folks would get involved, but in this high tech, fast paced world we now live in, flyfishing may be seen as too slow to attract the fast movers of tomorrow. Ah well, time will tell.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » January 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm

midger wrote:Brian,
You must be bored. ;) This site has needed a defibrillator lately it's been so quiet.

Can blame a guy for trying. :)

I do have some stuff I don't like about fly fishing. Icy guides. Extra early wake ups. Fish slime......why couldn't they have fur like a kitten. Tying knots.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » January 23rd, 2014, 3:01 pm

briansII wrote:
midger wrote:Brian,

Can blame a guy for trying. :)

I do have some stuff I don't like about fly fishing. Icy guides. Extra early wake ups. Fish slime......why couldn't they have fur like a kitten. Tying knots.

briansII

There are solutions for all the things you don't like: Don't fish when it's freezing and you won't have icy guides. Only go out after the hatch starts will do away with the early wakeups--or drive up the night before and stay in a motel (of course, you'll miss the 0'dark thirty streamer hookups, but nothings perfect), and the last two things are easily remedied by having a guide/gilly remove all your fish and tie on all your flies.

Pretty easy solving those problems. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BobK » January 23rd, 2014, 3:15 pm

A big wind in my face....(unless it's at Pyramid)
BobK

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 23rd, 2014, 4:20 pm

I'm with Bobk on this WIND!!!!! Now, that said, wind is not necessarily specific to FF, so I say the fly line. It's bot the beauty and the beast of FF. Casted nicely, there is nothing that conjures up visions of trout busting out of a seam to whack a dry fly in pristine water. The reality: Tangled line around your boots, loops on the water swept into snags, tree snags behind, above, beside, and in front of you, a fast seam keeping you from fishing a far seam.So there, Fly line, that's mine. I love it and I hate it all at the same time. :)
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Papasequoia » January 23rd, 2014, 4:26 pm

I don't like fishing behind Midger.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » January 23rd, 2014, 4:27 pm

midger wrote: and the last two things are easily remedied by having a guide/gilly remove all your fish and tie on all your flies.

Pretty easy solving those problems. ;)

I did a float with a guide last Sat., and he did tie on a couple flies for me. Made me feel old, so the next times I tied on everything myself. Which reminds me of another thing I don't like. All those old man noises I make after a long day fly fishing. :sad:

briansII
briansII

Postby Rollincast » January 23rd, 2014, 4:37 pm

briansII wrote:Which reminds me of another thing I don't like. All those old man noises I make after a long day fly fishing. :sad:

briansII

Roommates and all those old man noises they make after a long day of fishing. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby briansII » January 23rd, 2014, 4:51 pm

Rollincast wrote:
briansII wrote:Which reminds me of another thing I don't like. All those old man noises I make after a long day fly fishing. :sad:

briansII

Roommates and all those old man noises they make after a long day of fishing. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Randy

Oh yeah. Snoring/flatulent roommates should be close to #1 on the list. :funnyup:

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » January 23rd, 2014, 5:01 pm

briansII wrote:
Rollincast wrote:

briansII

Randy

Oh yeah. Snoring/flatulent roommates should be close to #1 on the list. :funnyup:

briansII

Yeah, but gas and snoring roommates aren't unique to the flyfishing culture. Heck I can do both without leaving my living room.

And Papa, the same can be said about following you. That hole you caught a gazillion out of, I turned what? One or so?
midger

Postby dray » January 23rd, 2014, 6:03 pm

Lots of good ones here already, but for me, it's my lower back I don't like.
dray

Postby WadeK » January 27th, 2014, 9:23 am

For me cracking of the skin of my index finger's creases after fishing for 3 full days straight. Man that hurts right now.

Edit to add: Did that sound like bragging? 'Cause I really didn't mean to sound like I was bragging. Much.

Tight Lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby Jimbo Roberts » January 27th, 2014, 10:33 am

The thing I don't like about flyfishing.....

The more I have explored in the mountains the more I realize my favorite places are in the backcountry and at high altitudes. It is getting tougher and tougher for me to get into some of the places I found over the decades of exploring. I want to go back and fish them again and again. But some of those places are at the end of a serious climb and my heart keeps reminding me I am not 39 anymore. Some of those places I guess I should never try to revisit again or I could become another mystery about what happened in the backcountry. But the memory of what lies up there keeps pushing into places I probably should not go. If something does happen, whoever finds me, just bury me there, and keep my vest and flyrod with my blessing. Tell a story about some old Coot who just sat down, rod in hand, for the last time, to admire the view.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby stanbery » January 27th, 2014, 4:29 pm

This is a very good list but one I would deal with is the fishing is good.
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing