REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Which knot do you use?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Which knot do you use?

Blood Knot
22%
Surgeon's Loop
54%
Albright Knot
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes : 41

Which knot do you use?

Postby rkfiske » January 9th, 2014, 12:57 pm

I was just thinking the other day about my choice in tippet knots and I almost always go for a blood knot. I like the streamlined look of them and how I can get tag ends that come off perpendicular to my running line. However, I seem to break off a decent amount of lines right at the junction of my blood knots and started to think that maybe I should be using something else.

What knots do you guys use the most when attaching tippet to leaders or tippet to tippet?
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Which knot do you use?

Postby fshflys » January 9th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Orvis Tippet Knot, kinda like a surgeons with an extra wrap in the beginning.
http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby WanderingBlues » January 9th, 2014, 1:21 pm

I actually just started using tipper rings and have been pleased thus far.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby midger » January 9th, 2014, 2:25 pm

I build all my leaders on stream and usually use a double or triple surgeons knot depending on size of tippet/leader I'm connecting. Smaller diameters get more turns.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » January 9th, 2014, 4:34 pm

midger wrote:I build all my leaders on stream and usually use a double or triple surgeons knot depending on size of tippet/leader I'm connecting. Smaller diameters get more turns.

Ditto. I don't build my own leaders, but everything else I do the same. Very strong, easy knot.

briansII
briansII

Postby fflutterffly » January 9th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I'm using a Duncan (Uni) often now a days for all sorts of things. I also use the double Uni, Davy, surgeon and blood. Depending on the light, if it is failing I'll use the Uni for my flies, since I can make the 'capture' loop large enough to pass the tail through several times. Also, on Knot Wars it ran neck and neck with the blood.

The surgeon is so fast and easy, as others have said, with nice strength. I'll run my dropper flies with a surgeon.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby rkfiske » January 9th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Wow I guess I'm in the minority! Perhaps it's time to consider switching back to a surgeon's knot.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby fly addict » January 9th, 2014, 7:17 pm

rkfiske wrote:Wow I guess I'm in the minority! Perhaps it's time to consider switching back to a surgeon's knot.

Test seem to support a switch to a surgeon's knot if you want a stronger connection.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby darrin terry » January 10th, 2014, 12:49 am

If dry fly fishing, especially in situations where very delicate presentations are required (which is rare for me), I use blood knots exclusively. But there's a trick that was told me a few years ago. If I am nymphing or throwing streamers, I use triple surgeons knots.

The reason for the blood knot when dry fly fishing is that the line seems to turn over a good bit better. The trick is lubing the knot with glycerine. I carry a small bottle with a needle-like applicator to get the glycerine right where I want it. I also tie the leaders up ahead of time and carry 2-3 of them. These are long, Harvey slackline leaders, 13-18 feet in length.

If your leaders are breaking very close to the knot, say within about 1/2-inch of the knot, it is likely that you were getting too much friction when snugging the knot down. This can be helped by using the glycerine as a lube. Blood knots also move through the guides easier in larger tippet sizes which is very noticeable when a leader is made of 6 or 7 material sizes from 3/0 down to 6-7x.

Glycerine can be found in pharmacies, with the skin care products if I remember correctly. I think I found it at a Riteaid and I know my local Walgreens did not carry it.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Baughb » January 10th, 2014, 10:20 am

It's mostly a matter of the knot I know how to tie well and quickly. I've been practicing using a few "new" knots while I'm out but for the last 20+ years, a Surgeon's knot and a clinch knot have served me very well.
I'm digging the Uni Loop but it takes me a while and uses (for me) a bit more tippet. ;)
Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby planettrout » January 10th, 2014, 10:52 am

Uni Knot...been using it for all my leader connections for about 26 years...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Benny » January 10th, 2014, 12:57 pm

I use triple surgeons knots. It's super easy to tie and it holds up fairly well. You could break any knot if you pull on it hard enough and try to break it. I have broken off fish, but there are lots of other factors that come into play when the fish is in the water.
Benny

Postby fly addict » January 10th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I use the slim beauty knot when I’m connecting different diameter size leader materials. It is much stronger than either a surgeons knot or blood knot or any other knot I have tried, and is nice and small and will slide through the guides. You can connect 6x material to .023 leader material and get close to 100% of the 6x breaking strength. Try that with a blood knot! Here is a link on how to tie it.

I do use the Albright knot to connect my flyline to the backing.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Bakoguy » January 10th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Double Uni Knot.
Easy to tie. Strong as or greater than blood knot.
Bakoguy

Postby flyster » January 11th, 2014, 6:44 am

rkfiske wrote:Wow I guess I'm in the minority! Perhaps it's time to consider switching back to a surgeon's knot.

Your not alone buddy. Blood is for me nice and clean knot.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing