REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

So Cal steelhead

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

So Cal steelhead

Postby fish-on-bro » November 18th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I don't know if any of you have seen this video about the Southern California Steelhead but it is quite inspiring. There are several fly fishing clubs working hard and donating time to this cause, including the club I belong to. Pretty cool to see the hard work is making a difference.

Chuck....
fish-on-bro

Re: So Cal steelhead

Postby 1mocast » November 18th, 2013, 11:26 pm

There is hope for the steelhead.

Thanks for posting that.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » November 18th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Cool video, thanks.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Dry Fly Rie » November 19th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Really interesting video. Thanks for posting it.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Fishfreak911 » November 20th, 2013, 1:18 am

Excellent post Chuck. I wasn't going to watch it all but could not help myself. I am going to work with TU on steelhead-ifying San Juan Creek.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby csimcox » November 20th, 2013, 11:03 pm

It's the documentary I wanted to make. I had started doing a lot of research on the subject and was kind of amazed at all the streams with populations (historically and the few left currently), and the politics that went in to keeping it hush hush. People don't want to deal with the repercussions of having an endangered species inhabit watersheds close to developments, businesses, etc. Studies have been denied access to streams on Camp Pendalton, even though there is a likely chance of populations existing down there.

Would have loved to have seen some of those runs up southern California streams like Malibu Creek, LA River, San Gabriel River, Sespe Creek, etc.

I was hoping to start trying to aquire footage this past spring, but when I took a job in Colorado, that killed my plans. Glad someone got out there and is bringing the story to light.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

So Cal steelhead

Postby Rasputinj » November 21st, 2013, 1:36 am

Great video, I grew up listening to stories from my grandfather about fishing for Steelhead on rivers like Santa Clara, Ventura,Sespe, Malibu. San Gabriel, Santa Ynez in the 20's to 30's. I was luckily enough to catch a few SoCal Steelheads on the Malibu creeks in the early to mid 80's. I hope things get better for SoCal Steelhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WanderingBlues » November 21st, 2013, 9:06 am

Many lessons to be learned in that presentation. The archived photos were something to see. And csimcox nailed it- money talks.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby SCAndy » November 21st, 2013, 11:38 am

The politics are unbelievable.
The South Coast Chapter of Trout Unlimited's sole purpose is the restoration of Southern Steelhead watersheds in the OC.
If you want to keep up to date on the goings-on's of the San Juan/ Trabuco Creek improvements check out our Facebook page. We are attempting to keep it up to date with info. You can just google "south coast chapter trout unlimited" and find it. I was never a big facebook guy but it is an easy way to get info out there.
We are engaged in the construction project that entails the installation of a new fish ladder passage and some major topography upgrades.
There are about a zillion governmental agencies that have all sorts of hoops to jump through, from flood control agencies to railroads to city, county, federal and private land owners.
Funny that none of them want to grab the reins and step up to the plate to help improve the creek.
Its a long process.
We are also actively seeking out any old photo's that anyone may have of historic steelhead in the SoCal. please ping us if you have any.
PS- first post here. I carry a fly rod.
SCAndy

Postby WanderingBlues » November 21st, 2013, 11:43 am

Welcome aboard, Andy, and thanks for the info.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DubL HauL » November 3rd, 2014, 6:01 pm

SCAndy wrote:The politics are unbelievable.
The South Coast Chapter of Trout Unlimited's sole purpose is the restoration of Southern Steelhead watersheds in the OC.
If you want to keep up to date on the goings-on's of the San Juan/ Trabuco Creek improvements check out our Facebook page. We are attempting to keep it up to date with info. You can just google "south coast chapter trout unlimited" and find it. I was never a big facebook guy but it is an easy way to get info out there.
We are engaged in the construction project that entails the installation of a new fish ladder passage and some major topography upgrades.
There are about a zillion governmental agencies that have all sorts of hoops to jump through, from flood control agencies to railroads to city, county, federal and private land owners.
Funny that none of them want to grab the reins and step up to the plate to help improve the creek.
Its a long process.
We are also actively seeking out any old photo's that anyone may have of historic steelhead in the SoCal. please ping us if you have any.
DubL HauL

Postby DubL HauL » March 23rd, 2015, 3:53 pm

SCAndy wrote:The politics are unbelievable.
Its a long process.

Hey Andy I see it's been a long time since you made this singular post but I see you are ONLINE and active on the forum can you please update our community on the situation from your standpoint. Thanks Andy
DubL HauL

Return to General Fly Fishing