REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Carry-on rods & reels???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Carry-on rods & reels???

Postby KRoberts1 » October 28th, 2013, 7:39 am

I'm off to Billings, MT later this week and was wondering if anyone has had trouble carrying on rods and reels on destination flights? I have used a Fishpond Dakota case before, but that was 5 years ago. Any recent experiences cared to be shared?

keith
KRoberts1

Re: Carry-on rods & reels???

Postby Pete » October 28th, 2013, 7:52 am

Most airlines have a length limit for carry on. It is dependant on the airlines. Do a quick search for your airlines and most of them specifically mention fishing rods in their web site. Personally, I have never had a problem with my 3 or 4 piece rods.
Pete

Postby Dry Fly Rie » October 28th, 2013, 9:22 am

A few years back, I flew from San Diego to Sacramento (can't remember which airline) and I was able to carry-on two rod cases duct taped together. The rods were 8 footers and were only 2 pieces, each. The cases were the old Orvis hard plastic green ones. It didn't seem to be a problem.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby NorcalBob » October 28th, 2013, 9:34 am

The Fishpond case is very similar to my Orvis Safe Passage carry on case and I've never had a problem carrying mine onboard any airlines. So far, that's about 50 trips. It's loaded with fly rods, reels, tippet, and small accessories (but no flies, those get checked in my luggage). I did forget that I had some wire cutters on a trip to MEX, and those got confiscated by TSA, but other than that I've had no problems.
NorcalBob

Postby anacrime » October 28th, 2013, 9:45 am

I have my 10' 4wt 3 piece in a long aluminum tube that I've carried on several times. Trekking poles, too.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby KRoberts1 » October 28th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Guys,

I appreciate the feedback from ya'll.

thanks,

keith
KRoberts1

Postby midger » October 28th, 2013, 5:15 pm

I also have had no problems flying from Ontario, CA to Boise, ID multiple times over the past few years. I travel with a 4 rod carrier and all rods are 4 piece with the case being 34 inches long. I've also carried reels onboard as well, but you can't have a carry on with any knifes, scissors, etc. Check that stuff.

To get your airline's requirements, however, I'd call them specifically and make sure--especially if your rods are 2 piece with tubes longer than 48 inches.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » October 29th, 2013, 8:00 am

I taken a 4 piece 9' with me several times with no issues. Southwest.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fflutterffly » October 31st, 2013, 6:18 am

Call a supervisor at the airlines around the time you are ticketed to fly and get the answer as well as their name… this way if there is a problem they will be there to address the problem.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby KRoberts1 » November 5th, 2013, 9:02 am

REcap of trip: No problems going to MT with FishPond carry-on for rods and reels. On the homeward bound trip, the gate attendant in Billings gave me some grief because the carry-on did not fit in the carry-on measuring device. I showed her the measurements (31+4.5+9.5)were 45 linear inches, as detailed by UAL, and kept walking. She tried to stop me but turned back. My wife, behind me, says the gal got huffy with her and those behind her, too. No problems in Denver.
KRoberts1

Postby NorcalBob » November 5th, 2013, 9:55 am

I've never had that problem, but friends of mine have. You are correct, there are two regulations for carry-on restrictions and your rod carry on does not fit inside the "little box" found at most check-in gates (then again most every carry on bag I see going on doesn't fit inside the "little box" either!). However, as you noted, it does indeed meet the maximum linear measurement requirement for carry on luggage. An another story regarding us travelling anglers; I was once stopped by the gate agent because I took my two rod tubes out of my backpack (which has straps for two tubes) so it would go through xray better, because I exceeded the two item carry on rule and now had 3 items. Sooooo, I put the two tubes back on the backpack (and it promptly got stuck in the xray machine!) and shot a smile at the gate agent. The TSA agent was cracking up saying, yep you now got one item, but too bad you screwed up my machine! The gate agent did not have a very good sense of humor!!!
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing